Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carter

Tag up scenario

Question

Guest Carter

11u, runner on first base and third base with one out. Runner on first base starts to steal second base on a pitcher who isn't paying attention. Pitcher is in process of delivering the pitch but hasn't released the ball before the runner reaches second base. Batter pops out to right field on the pitch and runner who stole second base tags up from second to advance to third. I instruct my players to throw to first base to get the runner out since he didn't tag up from first on the fly ball. Opposing team said since he stole the base before the ball was released, he only needs to tag up from second. My take is that pitcher was in the process of delivering the pitch when the runner stole the base so he must tag up from first.

5 answers to this question

You are correct, because he needs to tag up from the base that he had at the time of the pitch (defined as when the pitching motion begins), and that base is 1st base. I would honor the appeal on R1.

The moment F1 started his motion, that is considered time of pitch, not when he actually released the ball. So the question then becomes: Had R1 achieved 2nd base prior to the start of motion? If yes, then the runner would need to retag 2nd base. If no, then the runner needs to retag 1st.

5 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

The moment F1 started his motion, that is considered time of pitch, not when he actually released the ball. So the question then becomes: Had R1 achieved 2nd base prior to the start of motion? If yes, then the runner would need to retag 2nd base. If no, then the runner needs to retag 1st.

This answers exactly what I was going to ask...      At youth ages, so often with R1 and R3,   R1 goes early and 1/2 the time the pitcher camps on the ball, meanwhile R1 reaches R2, then the windup begins and the pitch is delivered.  

Guest Carter
On 5/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, ilyazhito said:

You are correct, because he needs to tag up from the base that he had at the time of the pitch (defined as when the pitching motion begins), and that base is 1st base. I would honor the appeal on R1.

Follow up question, R3 tagged up from 3rd base and crossed the plate before the 3rd out was recorded on the out at 1b. Does the run count? We said yes and recorded it as a run scored.

Yes. The appeal is a time play, not a force play. If the runner scores legally before the appeal is executed for the 3rd out, the run scores. Even though the conditions for an out on an appeal play are the same as those for a force play (either base or runner may be tagged), an appeal play is NOT a force play. This is important for everyone to know. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this