Lock Laces for Plate Shoes

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1779 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I always have trouble getting a nice tight tie on my plate shoes, and they are a little bigger than I'd like, but the smaller/narrower sizes weren't comfortable, so I figured better too big than too small (that's what she said).  But I find I get dirt/rocks in my shoes, and trying to untie/retie between innings would take too long, and the shoes loosened up too much during the games.  Anyone try Lock Laces?  https://www.locklaces.com/

I got some and was going to wear them tonight, but my game was rained out (no one told me though, so I did wear them from the parking lot to the field.  The shoe fit much better overall with these, but they did seem to loosen up some just in that brief walk.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had tried them and what a longer term experience was.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I always double knot them.

I do too, which is one reason taking them off and re-tying between innings takes too long. I'm tying the laces tight trying to get the best fit.

Sounds to me like you could use some insoles (for the overall fit and tightness inside the shoe) and longer laces in order to tie a heel lock, rather than mucking about with things that grab onto your laces.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Rock Bottom said:

I always have trouble getting a nice tight tie on my plate shoes, and they are a little bigger than I'd like, but the smaller/narrower sizes weren't comfortable, so I figured better too big than too small (that's what she said).  But I find I get dirt/rocks in my shoes, and trying to untie/retie between innings would take too long, and the shoes loosened up too much during the games.  Anyone try Lock Laces?  https://www.locklaces.com/

I got some and was going to wear them tonight, but my game was rained out (no one told me though, so I did wear them from the parking lot to the field.  The shoe fit much better overall with these, but they did seem to loosen up some just in that brief walk.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had tried them and what a longer term experience was.  

Thanks for the link @Rock Bottom.  I just ordered a pair myself for my plate shoes.

Even double knotting, I can't get them tight enough.

• Thanks 1

Wore my plate shoes with these laces for two games today and they worked great. Made the whole shoe fit better as was able to quickly adjust it as needed.   @catsbackr let me know how they work out for you. 

On 5/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, umpstu said:

I always double knot them.

I do too, which is one reason taking them off and re-tying between innings takes too long. I'm tying the laces tight trying to get the best fit.

8 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Wore my plate shoes with these laces for two games today and they worked great. Made the whole shoe fit better as was able to quickly adjust it as needed.   @catsbackr let me know how they work out for you. 

@Rock Bottom,

They should be delivered tomorrow.  My next plate game is Friday and I'll give them a shot.  I hope they work, I have at least 3 plate games the following week.

10 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I might have to get them if they work.  Never had any issue with dirt while working the dish, only my base shoes.  I switched to mid cut shoes this year and no dirt issues.  With the low cut I'd have to empty them before.  

18 hours ago, Maineac said:

Or you could try this technique, which won't cost you anything. I've done this in the past and it works great.

https://www.locklaces.com/blogs/resources/how-to-tie-a-heel-lock

I do a form of this on my plate shoes:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rq5BLVFnMG4T9Ww36

Also, on the top I tie an "Ian knot" - like the guy in the TED video, I tied my shoestrings the "wrong way" for most of my life, and I've started making myself tie them this way.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 6:07 AM, kylehutson said:

I do a form of this on my plate shoes:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rq5BLVFnMG4T9Ww36

Also, on the top I tie an "Ian knot" - like the guy in the TED video, I tied my shoestrings the "wrong way" for most of my life, and I've started making myself tie them this way.

:blink:holy cow! This thing is amazing! Where has THIS been all my life?