Better Mechanics for solo umpiring

MichaelS55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1790 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

37 minutes ago, MichaelS55 said:

Thanks for all the tips. I have been having a better time at it. Yesterday I had a game at a small school and the field was like a converted cow paddy. The backstop was 3 feet behind me with grandstands so I had about 20 other umpires trying to help. Best was when I called an infield fly and everyone froze and the ball just dropped. Had to explain it to everyone. 

Had a game where I called a balk (I think it was not coming set? Don't remember) and the batter hit the pitch to right field. I'm pretty sure me and my partner were the only two people there who knew it was a live ball. After 15 seconds of nobody doing anything, partner called time and told the coach he had a choice (and then later when I tried to explain that coach doesn't get a choice on live ball balk he straight told me I was wrong :mad:) to take the balk or play, which he took the ball for some reason (???).

I was just waiting for the right fielder to run in, grab the ball, and throw to first. But he dient. Gotta love it when no one knows the rules!

38 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

Had a game where I called a balk (I think it was not coming set? Don't remember) and the batter hit the pitch to right field. I'm pretty sure me and my partner were the only two people there who knew it was a live ball. After 15 seconds of nobody doing anything, partner called time and told the coach he had a choice (and then later when I tried to explain that coach doesn't get a choice on live ball balk he straight told me I was wrong :mad:) to take the balk or play, which he took the ball for some reason (???).

I was just waiting for the right fielder to run in, grab the ball, and throw to first. But he dient. Gotta love it when no one knows the rules!

How many runners were on base?

On 5/22/2019 at 5:53 PM, mark38090 said:

I always point out I'm by myself. It just gives you a little out on these crazy plays that sometimes happen. I work in a very small community and the only time you're not alone here is 15yo, and that's only half of the time. 

When you work two (or three or four) person, do you point out that there are not three (or four or six) of you, so some things will be missed?  I doubt it -- so why do it when there's only one of you?

The coaches have eyes; they know you are working alone.  IF it becomes an issue later in the game, deal with it then.

• Like 1