Infield fly no-call

Gfoley4

If IFF was called, the only difference is that BR would be out instead of R1. R2 would have been out either way.

I know it's an assumption R2 would have left the base either way. But he doesn't even look at an umpire or seem in any way to realize the situation. He saw a dropped fly ball and thought he had to advance because of it.

3 minutes ago, yawetag said:

If IFF was called, the only difference is that BR would be out instead of R1. R2 would have been out either way.

I know it's an assumption R2 would have left the base either way. But he doesn't even look at an umpire or seem in any way to realize the situation. He saw a dropped fly ball and thought he had to advance because of it.

I mean U2 is right there. Presumably he would have sold the heck out of the IFF if he made it, and R2 would have been able to hear him, even if he can't see the signal.

This situation is / can be confusing as the definition of the infield fly rule doesn't give you a generic height requirement.  However, it only says "not a line drive or a bunt" ....therefore .... anything IN BETWEEN (like this play) is a judgement call.  Sometimes our job is not so easy :D 

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

This situation is / can be confusing as the definition of the infield fly rule doesn't give you a generic height requirement.  However, it only says "not a line drive or a bunt" ....therefore .... anything IN BETWEEN (like this play) is a judgement call.  Sometimes our job is not so easy :D 

Agree with the no IFF call, its a "flare", as you say in between, judgement call for sure.  But don't agree with the off the baseline call, at least from the angle in the clip, there's not even a step and a reach by the fielder, just a reach, thats < than 3'

An infield fly was not called according to the play-by-play account posted at foxsports.com. The batter was scored as reaching first on a fielder’s choice--

Brandon Drury reaches on a fielder's choice to shortstop. Justin Smoak out at second. Randal Grichuk out at third.

The 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual is the only source I have found so far that gives any kind of help on defining an infield fly. It says that to be an infield fly it “must be a fly, or pop, or must possess some degree of arc, but cannot be a line drive drive or bunt…