RC2004

Why do umpires BlackOut Logos

Does anybody know why all MLB umpires blackout logos except for the wilson logo on their chest protectors and their maks? 

It used to be because Wilson was*is the only approved provider of umpire gear at MLB.    They still are, but for some reason I've noticed some umpires are showing off other logos.  I noticed that, last year, some MLB umpires blacked out the Wilson logo as well though.  I'm sure there's a reason, but it's over my  head.

What happened to Wilson's contract supposedly being up?  I don't see any Under Armour stuff that was predicted either.

1 minute ago, Rock Bottom said:

What happened to Wilson's contract supposedly being up?  I don't see any Under Armour stuff that was predicted either.

Under Armour was only going to be doing the on field apparel... They backed out of the contract and Nike takes over next year I believe. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

Under Armour was only going to be doing the on field apparel... They backed out of the contract and Nike takes over next year I believe. 

The 2020-2021 season marks the start of the Nike era for MLB. Based on what has been seen in other sports (NFL, NBA), Nike will not release the fear/clothes for retail. This, in my opinion, is the most devastating thing. 

6 hours ago, sd181612 said:

The 2020-2021 season marks the start of the Nike era for MLB. Based on what has been seen in other sports (NFL, NBA), Nike will not release the fear/clothes for retail. This, in my opinion, is the most devastating thing. 

What sports does Nike do the official’s  apparel?

I see that they do the NBA ref’s shirts and pants... but the NFL’s aren’t branded.

10 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I see that they do the NBA ref’s shirts and pants... but the NFL’s aren’t branded.

NFL is Nike

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

NFL is Nike

Branded on the Sleeves? I know Nike does the player's uniforms... I just don't see any branding on the official's uniforms to indicate that they are actually made by Nike. I've actually found a story from 2012, while Nike had the uniform contract, that states that Honigs was the uniform supplier for the officials. 

4 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Branded on the Sleeves? I know Nike does the player's uniforms... I just don't see any branding on the official's uniforms to indicate that they are actually made by Nike. 

CRAP, my bad, I misread your post! Sorry ....... nothing on the uniforms, but the referees all have Nike shoes

On 5/1/2019 at 9:42 PM, JSam21 said:

No, you were right. They only do NBA. I for some reason thought I saw a Nike logo on an NFL shirt once.