Umpire like a Girl

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1795 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

Well they get it easy.

They wont have to purchase 2 pieces of equipment we have to.

7 games this year behind the plate. 1st game had a foul  the catcher missed and it "skimmed" the lowest point of my cup.  I was a bit jumpy the rest of the game ( my 1st ever behind the plate)

last game  was a 3 game day 1st two went pretty uneventful got hit in the left shin guard about 3 times no big deal took one off the right wrist yeah that smarted but it was not awful.  3rd game 3rd pitch foul tip that the catcher missed completely hit me square on the front of the cup.  I yelled fowl and took two steps towards the home team dugout. I was thinking wait for it wait for it, pains coming..  I'm standing there stunned and was thinking about it. I felt the impact I felt the cup absorb the impact and the push of "Shock absorption"  that it did around the "protected member"  and I was thinking to myself "Damn these newer style cups work awesome, had that been my LL cup I would have been on the ground like a sack of spuds"

So yeah They luck out on equipment ..

We got it easy - no bras, no makeup, and not to mention, no menstrual cycle.

14 hours ago, MadMax said:

Hey @Tksjewelry!! Someone thinks you women umpires get it easy on equipment purchasing!!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Let's start at the top, shall we?

• Most plain black hats that can accommodate a ponytail are "fashion" hats, or there are some snap-back hats. The majority of associations, though, just crank out fitted or flex-fit ball caps without considering women umpires. Women umpires either have to make do, or get their hats custom embroidered.
  • There isn't a notable difference between sexes when it comes to masks. My experience has found most women umpires use HSMs because of the ease of using it sans hat (and the aforementioned hat thing), and the flank protection it affords. Plenty do use TMs, too. Both sexes would benefit from having an Umpires (specifically) Head Protection System developed.
  • While masks lack any real differentiation, chest protectors make it glaringly obvious. Very, very few women umpires fit the majority of chest protectors on the market, simply because most chest protectors are so generically made. Very few chest protectors can even accommodate narrow or petite builds, regardless of sex. That doesn't even begin to address differences in torso length vs. shoulder breadth, presence and accommodation of bust, or positioning of protective plates and foam sections to be as effective as possible vs. as light as possible. A fruitless circle develops of "Design for us a CP that suits our needs and sizes" -> "Show us a need first; a (profitable) quantity of umpires of those sizes (or sex) who needs a new (major emphasis) CP designed" -> "Can't show that need, because those people can't be or perform as umpires until they have that CP!" This fruitless circle repeats itself in other pieces of gear, as explained below.
  • Just because women don't have their junk attached on the outside doesn't mean a hit to that vulnerable region doesn't hurt any less. I would actually say that for both sexes, there needs to be a significant improvement of protection to the groin and thighs.
  • Shinguards are problematic, simply because shorter / narrower guards are perceived to be for youth, and thus, the quality drops considerably. These nearly threadbare shinguards have minimal padding, fewer additional protective features (patella guards, ankle wings, etc.), and typically lack proper fasteners, such as side-release buckles. On smaller stature people – young men and women, the bigger conventional shinguards come off as clunky and cumbersome.
  • That brings us to the most significantly absent piece of protective equipment – the plate shoe. No one makes plate shoes for women specifically, nor do they make unisex plate shoes in sizes less than 7 (typically). This represents a severe roadblock to the development of women umpires for both softball and baseball.
  • Shirts end up being a sloppy look because they are too long (to accommodate a longer male torso and to be tucked in to a lower-riding set of pants), too generous in the shoulders, and too loose and long in the sleeve. Perhaps instead of devoting all these resources in cranking out out-of-date shirt styles – such as in navy or powder blue – only to be stocked onto retail hangers in brick-&-mortar stores in mid-continent America (I'm looking right at you, Cliff Keen and Dalco), how about producing a full line of apparel in a variety of sizes that also are proportioned for women, too, and sell and distribute them through an order fulfillment system?
  • You think shirts have their issues? It's worse for pants. "Unisex" umpire pants lack the sizing through the hips that women need, have crotches that drop too far down, and will frequently only be offered in an un-hemmed length so as to make them easier to produce and sell. These are usually proportionately skewed, as the knee then falls further up, and the taper to the ankle opening becomes wider as a result, so plate pants become ridiculous. Combos could be the answer, except, again, most shinguards are far bigger and bulkier than necessary, and won't fit under most combos in a presentable manner.

Men show up at the ballpark in a slipshod, uncoordinated, unkempt uniform, they get labeled a clown, but they're still taken seriously, to a degree. Women already are behind the eight-ball, even if they show up in a perfectly coordinated and cohesive uniform! Do we honestly think, as an umpire collective, we are equipping women for success with such inadequate gear and attire?

OK this is complete sarcastic joking...  DO not take it without a slice of lime a splash of salt and a shot of your favorite Te kill yah.

So after all that do they get paid less too?

9 hours ago, udbrky said:

We got it easy - no bras, no makeup, and not to mention, no menstrual cycle.

Ok so there it is 

Bra and or sports bra  is the $ wise equivalent to our jock/cup.  

You would be surprised to find out that some guys wear make up.. they may not call it that but it is.

As for the cycle aren't those supposed to be hit for...

j/k

Nope can't fathom that, do not want to even think about dealing with that, with regards to the field that is.  I deal with it monthly with my wife and that's bad enough. 

She actually told me back in the biblical times they had a  "red tent"  that, when it was a woman's time she would go to the "red tent" during that, something along the lines of sparing the husband.  She does joke with me sometimes when well, she's struggling with her emotions,  she will stop and laugh after and say "Yep if only we had a red tent"  Sigh.. "yep if only" is what I think.  I would not dare say that to her.. LOL I'd be worm food out in the back 30.

10 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

You would be surprised to find out that some guys wear make up.. they may not call it that but it is.

Brothers & Sisters, I'm here to tell you that the only kind of make up I have ever worn, was camouflage face paint.

Wow - some of the reactions here are pretty surprising.

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled as my last several years have been coaching club girls/women's softball, so I have seen many female umpires and coaches.  The most memorable was a gold medal game where all four umps were female.

I find nothing in this video unusual or remarkable, except that people still think it's remarkable when a female umps a game....or that she's good at it.  I've seen great and crappy female umps...assertive and timid female umps.

I liked in the video when she says she took crap, not for being female, but for not showing she was in charge.

And as the proud father of a strong young woman who played competitive fastpitch at the national level, and is also a certified coach, I still cherish the moments when she steps on a baseball field with men and is completely underestimated until she fields her first ball, or hits her first pitch.

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Ok so there it is 

Bra and or sports bra  is the $ wise equivalent to our jock/cup.  

As for the cycle aren't those supposed to be hit for...

j/k

Nope can't fathom that, do not want to even think about dealing with that, with regards to the field that is.  I deal with it monthly with my wife and that's bad enough. 

She actually told me back in the biblical times they had a  "red tent"  that, when it was a woman's time she would go to the "red tent" during that, something along the lines of sparing the husband.  She does joke with me sometimes when well, she's struggling with her emotions,  she will stop and laugh after and say "Yep if only we had a red tent"  Sigh.. "yep if only" is what I think.  I would not dare say that to her.. LOL I'd be worm food out in the back 30.

I think nowadays they call it a "She-shed"

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, ArchAngel72 said:

I deal with it monthly with my wife and that's bad enough. 

On 5/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, conbo61 said:

I think nowadays they call it a "She-shed"

Things have not changed much since "Biblical Times" in many parts of he world. And I would doubt the women who are forced to occupy such spaces would call it a she-shed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nepal-menstrual-huts-cow-sheds-women-chhaupadi-india-a8744766.html

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, yawetag said:

No roasting. So awesome.

For the organization in St. Louis, I could count on one hand how many female officials we had. In the one here in SC, I haven't seen one at any of our meetings or partnered with me on the field.

There's no reason a woman can't officiate any sport. It's time organizations, from your local leagues to the professional ones, made it known.

And one of those in St. Louis is one of the best I've ever worked with period.