Swing or No Swing? UE what would you call?

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1816 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

8 answers to this question

Two different games (within one week of each other though), two different videos, but the same batter (poor, unlucky Robinson Cano) in both cases. So, Gil Imber’s analysis of the HBP in the second video does not go with the video posted by Mr. stkjock.

First video is from a game with the New York Mets against the Brewers and the second video is from a game in St. Louis against the Mets.

• Thanks 1

In both videos it was the third base umpire who ruled Cano’s check swing a strike. It was Paul Emmel who ruled it a strike in the earlier game in St. Louis. Here’s how he explained his call—

“He started his swing. Pitch hit his hands. Followed through with his swing, the ball actually went into fair territory. Bruce (Dreckman), the home-plate umpire didn’t see the end of the swing so he called a hit batsman and was giving him first base. During the injury, then Bruce and I communicated which we’re supposed to do. So appeal on the check swing, so he went through with his swing. So now it becomes by rule, a swing, a dead ball and a strike making the count 0-2. Because he swung, that’s not reviewable.”

Not sure who the third base umpire was in today’s game in New York, possibly Adam Hamari. No matter who it was today, I disagree with both calls. I have no swing in both cases.

8 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

In both videos it was the third base umpire who ruled Cano’s check swing a strike. It was Paul Emmel who ruled it a strike in the earlier game in St. Louis. Here’s how he explained his call—

“He started his swing. Pitch hit his hands. Followed through with his swing, the ball actually went into fair territory. Bruce (Dreckman), the home-plate umpire didn’t see the end of the swing so he called a hit batsman and was giving him first base. During the injury, then Bruce and I communicated which we’re supposed to do. So appeal on the check swing, so he went through with his swing. So now it becomes by rule, a swing, a dead ball and a strike making the count 0-2. Because he swung, that’s not reviewable.”

Not sure who the third base umpire was in today’s game in New York, possibly Adam Hamari. No matter who it was today, I disagree with both calls. I have no swing in both cases.

Me too. No swing twice. 

It’s a funny thing--the OBR does not have any real guidelines on half-swings. It does have the following OI:

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  The umpire’s decision on a check swing shall be based entirely on his judgment as to whether or not the batter struck at the ball.

In this regard I think the NCAA at least tries to provide some help.

2017-18 NCAA rule 2

Half Swing

SECTION 39. An attempt by the batter to stop the forward motion of the bat while swinging, which puts the batter in jeopardy of a strike being called. The half swing shall be called a strike if the barrel head of the bat passes the batter’s front hip. This does not apply to a bunt attempt when the batter pulls the bat back.

Official Interpretation:  Bruns:  The half-swing guidelines do not apply to a batter who pivots in the box with his arms close to his body (as opposed to extended).