Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeUmp

Losing Count

Question

Guest JoeUmp

So, I embarrassingly lost the count twice tonight. Once a few minutes after catching a foul off the thigh, so I may have just lost presence for a few minutes. But is there some trick to not do this? Seems ridiculous to me, and I'm pissed at myself, but it happened.

11 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Guest JoeUmp said:

So, I embarrassingly lost the count twice tonight. Once a few minutes after catching a foul off the thigh, so I may have just lost presence for a few minutes. But is there some trick to not do this? Seems ridiculous to me, and I'm pissed at myself, but it happened.

It will occasionally happen. So flash your “what’s the count sign”  to your partner. He doesn’t know it because he doesn’t carry an indicator on the bases and goes  by your count, ask the catcher and the batter what the count is, explaining that you need another cup of coffee. Or do nothing and the baseball gods will take you off the hook. The trick is it can and will happen even at the MLB level. There are guys that will tell you they don’t use an indicator at the plate. It’s skill worth emulating if you can do it. If you can’t and lose the count my above advice is what I recommend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest JoeUmp

Sadly, I was solo with no partner, and the baseball gods weren't with me either because I was doing too good a job calling out the count and the coach busted me on it. No harm other than a bruised ego.

It happens occasionally, especially when working solo. These days, it's more than likely that someone is charting pitches. I've asked whoever is charting the pitch count what they have.

• Like 1

Stpry that I have ben told..Steve Palermo never used a clicker at the Major League level...but there one has a lot of safety nets if you lose the count!

13 hours ago, Guest JoeUmp said:

Sadly, I was solo with no partner, and the baseball gods weren't with me either because I was doing too good a job calling out the count and the coach busted me on it. No harm other than a bruised ego.

If you aren't sure what the count is and it's you against a coach who thinks they know the count.... your count overrules his.

If, however, you can obtain the count in a different way (as @Jimurray detailed above), use whatever resource you have. Ultimately, though, the count you decide on is the official count.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guest JoeUmp said:

Depending on the age of the players I would ask the batter and catcher.  And we all mess the count up at times.  I worked the plate Thursday in 100 plus degrees and punched a guy out on strike 2.  A lot of laughter from the dugout of the punched out player.  I looked at the coach and said, "You have to admit it was a great punch out".  I then proceeded to punch out the batter on the real strike 3 the following pitch.  Told the coach since his batter got punched out twice then his team started their next at bat with one out.  Again, a 100 degree blowout game sucks.

• Like 2

Happens more than you'd think. Shoot, it happens in MLB. Usually, it's after something goofy happens and then you think "did I click over the indicator?". Best way, is to play ball and hope the batter puts the ball in play. Otherwise, you call "ball" or "strike" and let the batter show you what it was. Then, you've got to eat it, go to a scorer/coach/fan/make a phone call and ask "OK, what's the count?"

• Like 1

Better than today when I rang up a strike 3... on a 3-0 count :o

We're all human. Just keep working to get better and better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Velho said:

Better than today when I rang up a strike 3... on a 3-0 count :o

We're all human. Just keep working to get better and better.

At least my guy ad a strike when I banged him on strike 2.

• Haha 1

A couple of things:

Give the count to the batter and F2 after every pitch, beginning with the second.  This will help you remember.  (You can give it loudly to the others less frequently -- wheenver there's 2 strikes or 3 balls and then every other pitch, for example -- this is a different thread).

As you get more experience, you will be able to recall the pitch sequence and re-create the count.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

A couple of things:

Give the count to the batter and F2 after every pitch, beginning with the second.  This will help you remember.  (You can give it loudly to the others less frequently -- wheenver there's 2 strikes or 3 balls and then every other pitch, for example -- this is a different thread).

As you get more experience, you will be able to recall the pitch sequence and re-create the count.

I give the count a lot during the game.  Passed ball, foul ball, full count.  And anytime somebody asks for it.  And I say it loud enough for the dugouts to hear it every time along with the physical sign with the fingers thing.  Only say it once. I do not do the say it to each dugout and then to the pitcher dance, just say it once.  I will also mumble it to the batter and catcher when there is two strikes.  

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this