sd181612

Hoodie under plate coat

i was watching the Pirates @ Tigers yesterday and noticed that Wolfee had a hoodie underneath the plate coat. It was definitely something different and interesting. Any takes? 

IMG_3073.jpeg

Interesting indeed!

Is it a hoodie or one of those neck gaiters to keep warm?

Side note: Catcher is wearing an All Star steel mask, not the MAG.

20 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Interesting indeed!

Is it a hoodie or one of those neck gaiters to keep warm?

Side note: Catcher is wearing an All Star steel mask, not the MAG.

I think it is a hoodie. I am trying to find more pictures, but none have come up from yesterday's game. Nice catch on the mask!

• Like 1

Jim Wolf has on the MAG, Hicks has on the steel FM4000

That's a hoodie, I watched it last night.

Sidenote: Had a game yesterday afternoon (I live in the Detroit area) ...it wasn't nearly as cold as the umpires dress lead you to believe! :nod: 

• Like 1

56° with 11mph winds at first pitch. 50° with 13mph winds at game end.

I don't know that it was that cold for a hoodie, but if it makes him comfortable, I have no problem with it. How were the other umpires dressed?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I don't know that it was that cold for a hoodie, but if it makes him comfortable, I have no problem with it. How were the other umpires dressed?

Cold weather coats, gloves, and ear muffs/head -neck wraps

• Haha 1

Did they just come from a few weeks in Florida? Man. 50 degrees? That's short-sleeve weather this time of year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yawetag said:

3 plus hours of that with no break from it... Yeah I would probably be wearing gloves and had a head cover as well

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

3 plus hours of that with no break from it... Yeah I would probably be wearing gloves and had a head cover as well

Well, where you're from it snows on a Sunday and is 65 degrees two days later.  Have to say when I was there a couple of weeks ago I did enjoy some Schucks ham salad and some Imo's pizza.  Can't seem to find either elsewhere.  Love ham salad.  Oh, got to sit and watch Cardinal's opening day with my 83 year old father in O'Fallon, Mo.  Great to see an old man screaming at the tv again.  Plus the high school baseball game in Washington, Mo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

Well, where you're from it snows on a Sunday and is 65 degrees two days later.  Have to say when I was there a couple of weeks ago I did enjoy some Schucks ham salad and some Imo's pizza.  Can't seem to find either elsewhere.  Love ham salad.  Oh, got to sit and watch Cardinal's opening day with my 83 year old father in O'Fallon, Mo.  Great to see an old man screaming at the tv again.  Plus the high school baseball game in Washington, Mo.

Funny you say that... 88 yesterday, 49 today, 57 tomorrow, 67 Saturday, 80 Sunday...

• Haha 1

If this pic wasn't of an MLB guy, most of you guys would be roasting him. (me, I couldn't care less. Be comfortable out there)

• Like 6

It's been in the 50's here, even touching 60...but it's been cloudy, and steady wind. I'm not a fan of the cold either, but mid 50's is usually comfortable for me. Not these 50+ degree temps lately..it's downright cold. . 

6 hours ago, yawetag said:

Did they just come from a few weeks in Florida? Man. 50 degrees? That's short-sleeve weather this time of year.

I'll probably break out the cut off jacket. Of course, that being said... I would wear that thing into the upper 60s!

3 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Funny you say that... 88 yesterday, 49 today, 57 tomorrow, 67 Saturday, 80 Sunday...

That's Missouri.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I'll probably break out the cut off jacket. Of course, that being said... I would wear that thing into the upper 60s!

Supposed to hit 100 tomorrow.  Usually does right around Coachella.

3 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Supposed to hit 100 tomorrow.  Usually does right around Coachella.

You can KEEP THAT CRAP!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kylejt said:

If this pic wasn't of an MLB guy, most of you guys would be roasting him. (me, I couldn't care less. Be comfortable out there)

I'll be the "not me" guy.

Not me. As long as it matches, wear what it takes to keep warm.

Unless it's a short-sleeve polo with long-sleeves underneath. That's ugly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I’ve had partners that do it. I don’t say anything, but why not go jacket of some kind, or even long sleeve shirt? It looks weird because there are stripes...but then the sleeves keeps going. It does look weird. 

I wear gloves behind the plate, a lot of times I’ll wear my hood around my neck, etc. I’ve even gone plain black ski hat over hat on the bases before I had a hood. Being cold isn’t cool and you’re the only ones on the field for the whole game instead of half of it. 

10 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I’ve had partners that do it. I don’t say anything, but why not go jacket of some kind, or even long sleeve shirt? It looks weird because there are stripes...but then the sleeves keeps going. It does look weird. 

I wear gloves behind the plate, a lot of times I’ll wear my hood around my neck, etc. I’ve even gone plain black ski hat over hat on the bases before I had a hood. Being cold isn’t cool and you’re the only ones on the field for the whole game instead of half of it. 

Because, while they work every single day, they can't be bothered to spend less than one game fee on a jacket. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

Because, while they work every single day, they can't be bothered to spend less than one game fee on a jacket. 

Or..., maybe it's just too much.  A lot of people do this to pay for extra bills - this is my first year umping, and all expenses told I'm at about $900 so far for CP, shoes, shins, masks, pants, tailoring, shirts, hats, state fees, assignor fees, training classes, manuals, etc. It's ridiculous how much it costs to get going, and I know I drew the line at a long sleeve polo.  I do agree though, I just wear a jacket instead, although I find the Smitty 1/2 zip are almost too warm for the plate when it's around 55 and sunny - they don't breathe well - so that could be a good day for the lighter long under-armour type shirt.

58 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Or..., maybe it's just too much.  A lot of people do this to pay for extra bills - this is my first year umping, and all expenses told I'm at about $900 so far for CP, shoes, shins, masks, pants, tailoring, shirts, hats, state fees, assignor fees, training classes, manuals, etc. It's ridiculous how much it costs to get going, and I know I drew the line at a long sleeve polo.  I do agree though, I just wear a jacket instead, although I find the Smitty 1/2 zip are almost too warm for the plate when it's around 55 and sunny - they don't breathe well - so that could be a good day for the lighter long under-armour type shirt.

I'm not talking about the first year guy. I would never expect them to have everything you could need. But the guy/girl that has been doing this for over a decade and hasn't bought a new shirt in 7 years or doesn't have a jacket? That's the person I have the issue with. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, umpstu said:

I did enjoy some Schucks ham salad

LOL!!!   There is a guy named Schmuck in my HS chapter

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, yawetag said:

We have to come up with a de rigueur option for umps that have been told by their dermatologist to wear long sleeve sun protection. Long sleeve shirts are too heavy (made for cooler weather). There are sleeves that can be bought in a close to skin color shade but I'm not sure if their UV claims can be verified. I tried them and can verify that they have a great cooling effect but I still used sunscreen under. I'm not sold on those. So would a tan UV protective undershirt work? 

• Like 2