Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_K

Never saw it coming...

The first one of the year came early. And out of nowhere. But that is no excuse to whiff on it.

Preliminary round of tri-county tournament. Seed 12 hosting seed 19. Top of the 5th with the home team up 12-4. I am U1

New F1 takes the mound for top of the 5th and retires leadoff hitter. 2nd batter laces a single to CF and I come into the middle to notice F1 has studs in his ears. I call time and advise the head coach that his team has a warning on jewelry and direct F1 to remove the studs. F1 says he cant. I suggest to him that he can either have earrings or pitch, but he cant do both.

DTHC comes out to talk to my partner and several other ASSociate coaches are milling about outside the dugout. One of them shouts out that studs are allowed . It's a new rule. I approach DTHC who is calm, understands what I said, and just wants some clarification. As I near the dirt circle at home plate, the same ASSociate coach starts walking toward me and barking "It's a new rule this year!" I have no idea who this jack-wagon is and I suggest that he needs to get back in the dugout. He think other wise. As I am having a conversation with the head coach, he says other umpires have allowed F1 to cover the studs with band-aids. I tell him that the studs need to come out. He instructs F1 to come to the dugout to take out the studs.

As I say this, our friend the ASSocaite coach comes towards me once again shouting "It's a new rule this year!" At that point I realize he has requested to have his ticket punched. I acquiesced to his request when he pointed at me and yelled, "You need to read a rule book!"  Ticket punched. Buh by. Thanks for flying K2 airlines. Your stop is now.

Sometimes things just fall into your lap.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1