One of our local high schools has had the Trackman system installed at their varsity field.  It uses three cameras to triangulate pitches to produce data similar to what we see at the MLB level.  Are you seeing this technology installed in your area of the country?  Here is a sample of one of the charts that are produced.  There is also a raw data spreadsheet similar to what Gil uses to determine quality of correctness on his site.  It's amazing the detail that they get out of this system.  Spin rate, vertical and horizontal movement, speed at release and at the plate, pitch type, release angles, and more.  Of course, the coach can get a real time look at pitch location as well right in the dugout.  Can't wait to get back on the field and work games there - would be so cool to get data after the game to hone my strike zone like the MLB guys do.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 10.37.21 AM.png

Just like many of the tracking boxes, I assume this one doesn't adjust to the batter?

58 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Just like many of the tracking boxes, I assume this one doesn't adjust to the batter?

Correct.  Zone height is a fixed measurement.

I'm just blown away that this technology is being used at the HS level.  The hardware is permanently mounted at the field and must be a very expensive system to purchase and install.  I am heading there tonight to watch the crew - I will snap some photos of the cameras.

I'm going to guess this is a public school (or charter school) in a high-income area, a private school, or within a few miles of the Trackman home office.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I'm going to guess this is a public school (or charter school) in a high-income area, a private school, or within a few miles of the Trackman home office.

Not sure where the home office is, but their main product appears to be for golf.  The school here that uses it is private.

39 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Correct.  Zone height is a fixed measurement.

I'm just blown away that this technology is being used at the HS level.  The hardware is permanently mounted at the field and must be a very expensive system to purchase and install.  I am heading there tonight to watch the crew - I will snap some photos of the cameras.

Last time I checked I believe it was around $25k for the full set up

4 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Last time I checked I believe it was around $25k for the full set up

Honestly not as expensive as I thought. 

5 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Honestly not as expensive as I thought. 

I'm sorry... it is around $30k

• Like 1

Does the setup include any ongoing costs, such as licenses and repairs? What about any service issues, like calibration or resetting?

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

One of our local high schools has had the Trackman system installed at their varsity field.  It uses three cameras to triangulate pitches to produce data similar to what we see at the MLB level.  Are you seeing this technology installed in your area of the country?  Here is a sample of one of the charts that are produced.  There is also a raw data spreadsheet similar to what Gil uses to determine quality of correctness on his site.  It's amazing the detail that they get out of this system.  Spin rate, vertical and horizontal movement, speed at release and at the plate, pitch type, release angles, and more.  Of course, the coach can get a real time look at pitch location as well right in the dugout.  Can't wait to get back on the field and work games there - would be so cool to get data after the game to hone my strike zone like the MLB guys do.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 10.37.21 AM.png

Orange Lutheran?

Just now, umpstu said:

Orange Lutheran?

No, but I don't think it's appropriate for me to publicly identify the school.

I'm thinking about taking a camera to a game, and sitting it out beyond the fence in center field so I can evaluate my strike zone. Would have to talk to the league first to make sure it's okay, but I really think it could be helpful.

This though, this is another level. I want.

It does seem to show a pattern of where this calling umpire seems to struggle, inside to righty's and outside to lefty's, that is if the pitch info was entered correctly. Anything from the centerline to the 1 either side I would be good with. Anything outside the 1 line, I think we can all agree, is venturing too far out. 

Now for a slight thread hijack... Where do you think coaches would prefer us to expand the zone? Up/Down or In/Out. I am of the school that thinks we need to call the high strike more. We have put such a focus on getting that knee pitch, because they work down there so much more, that we have neglected the top of the zone and brought it down too much. I know for certain that the NCAA is getting on umpires for expanding too much In/Out on the zone as that is the #1 complaint from coaches to the NCAA.

I would love to hear your opinions

1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

It does seem to show a pattern of where this calling umpire seems to struggle, inside to righty's and outside to lefty's, that is if the pitch info was entered correctly. Anything from the centerline to the 1 either side I would be good with. Anything outside the 1 line, I think we can all agree, is venturing too far out. 

Now for a slight thread hijack... Where do you think coaches would prefer us to expand the zone? Up/Down or In/Out. I am of the school that thinks we need to call the high strike more. We have put such a focus on getting that knee pitch, because they work down there so much more, that we have neglected the top of the zone and brought it down too much. I know for certain that the NCAA is getting on umpires for expanding too much In/Out on the zone as that is the #1 complaint from coaches to the NCAA.

I would love to hear your opinions

The NCAA has stated in general terms they WANT the high strike called more, but you get sniped from every dugout every time we do.  I agree it needs called more.  However, for me it is much tougher to stay consistent in due to batter height ranges.  But, I'm trying, ha.

22 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Are you seeing this technology installed in your area of the country?

Nope

3 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Nope

LOL, right!

Half our teams are struggling to pay for OHSAA-logo official baseballs, let alone $30K for a pitch-tracker. :wow2:

Would be awesome to have an afternoon just for ump training/practice at a facility with that technology.  I'd probably travel to get that kind of opportunity!

• Like 2

Any time you call a strike above the belt..."we don't play in the attic" or "that's a good take" or "he has to bring that down" or my "that's not you" etc. Any time I call a strike above the belt I essentially brace for impact. And any time I ball one where I think "hmm, could I have got that?" no one says a word.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the hardware.  Just one camera which also uses 3D doppler radar.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1136.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, humanbackstop19 said:

The NCAA has stated in general terms they WANT the high strike called more, but you get sniped from every dugout every time we do.  I agree it needs called more.  However, for me it is much tougher to stay consistent in due to batter height ranges.  But, I'm trying, ha.

I get sniped for calling a "Little League strike zone", but I still call the strike zone according to the rulebook dimensions. Bottom of the ribcage is my rule of thumb for the "midpoint between the shoulders and top of the uniform pants". Having a pitch tracker available at every high school field would vindicate other umpires like myself. I'd be calling the same strike zone high school, college, or pro. Players and coaches need to adjust to the rules, not the rules to them. 

43 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

I'd be calling the same strike zone high school, college, or pro.

I wouldn't be opposed to having 1 set of rules....... wait......:Horse:   nevermind

• Like 3

Found out last night that another school in the county is getting this installed.  Same league - another private school.

5 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I get sniped for calling a "Little League strike zone", but I still call the strike zone according to the rulebook dimensions. Bottom of the ribcage is my rule of thumb for the "midpoint between the shoulders and top of the uniform pants". Having a pitch tracker available at every high school field would vindicate other umpires like myself. I'd be calling the same strike zone high school, college, or pro. Players and coaches need to adjust to the rules, not the rules to them. 

I’m getting really tired of coaches thinking that a pitch can never miss outside unless it’s at the backstop or the catcher dives for it. I get some off the plate, but let’s be reasonable here. It has to stop somewhere. There can be close misses. Sometimes I have to laugh at the ones they want that are almost a foot outside (though they think you are balling pitches right down the middle, because we all love doing that). “Where is that?” Takes everything in me not to say “Not very close to be honest.”

Plus they can’t see it anyway. Not everything your catcher catches that’s good on height is a strike. 

'Trackman'? I heard it was called 'no more umpire' and one less individual to worry about concussion syndrome. Like those one umpire slow pitch softball games where the plate umpire has everything. Now the base umpire has everything including fair/foul from the middle of the infield.

In the more progressive leagues, there are still 2 umpires but they are both base umpires that start on the lines and move to the infield when the ball is hit. Anything like a pick-off at second is called by the 1st base umpire if the pitcher is right handed and by the third base umpire if a left hander. Plays at the plate with a right hander pitching would go to 3BU and if left hander to 1BU. Regular plays into second, double, steals, etc. 1st base umpire will have first 4 innings and first 5 in 9 inning game, with 3BU having cleanup innings. Anything else, hit batter, etc umpires get together and crew chief makes ruling.

Now, since no more calling pitches and not having to worry about concussions ever again, one man leagues will get $12.50 per game and 2 man will get $10 per umpire per game.

It's not if, but when, it all happens.

• Haha 1