Sign in to follow this  
Aging_Arbiter

AED units

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

I hate bringing this up, but it would be good to know the scope of your state's "good samaritan" law, protecting people who help in emergencies against liability. That is, to whom it applies and under what circumstances. 

When I took my CPR/AED training (in VA) the instructor explicitly discussed the good Samaritan laws and you would be protected when rendering CPR or AED. 

It is my understanding that there are differences from state to state. In some states, the protection is thorough, in others not so broad. But I could be wrong, as it's not an area of law which I practiced. I'm not trying to discourage people from acting in emergencies, just pointing out potential issues.

In almost every state, good samaritan covers any non-professional (i.e., EMT, firefighter, police officer) in an emergency in which they act as a "normal" person would act. Further, AEDs are even covered to non-trained people who use them, again as long as they're used in good-faith in a way a "normal" person would use them. If you've received any training (such as CPR or AED), your only requirement is to remain within the bounds of your training.

Even professional emergency responders are covered when not on-duty. I can't speak for other states, but as an EMT in Missouri, my only requirement when off-duty was to call 911 and report the issue. I had no legal obligation to offer emergency services as a citizen.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, yawetag said:

Awesome. I think your field has a great opportunity to appeal to other fields in how they think about AED purchases. The cost may be high, but even saving one life makes it worth it.

https://local21news.com/news/local/mothers-life-saved-vital-tool-donated-before-little-league-teams-trip

SWMBO (who I commonly refer to as Blondezilla) was interviewed by 3 or 4 different news crews last night when the http://www.peytonwalker.org/ donated an AED to our LL state Champs who just happened to be from the same league as the mom that was saved. The picture I posted on the previous page, was the one Julie used on her home page, along with SWMBO & Matt on the donate page.  I'm not asking anyone to donate, but it is great information to pass along to those leagues who don't have one.