AED units

Aging_Arbiter
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1700 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey folks, I know I post many things on here that SWMBO does/says etc., but I feel this worth mentioning as it may be beneficial to some of your local organizations.  As the UIC for my local LL for 15 of the last 20 years, SWMBO stepped up to run concessions this year.  She is also helping our Safety person, who has been on deployments and in training.  SWMBO went out and got seven (yes 7) AED units donated to our LL organization.  We have 1 at each of our fields now.  Last evening, one of those units had to be used.  While initially, one thinks about catchers taking a foul ball to the chest, pitchers to the chest, etc., this was a dad coaching Tee Ball.  He collapsed during a game.  There happened to be 2 nurses at that game.  One started CPR, and the other retrieved the AED.  After one cycle of CPR, and one shock from the AED, his heart beat and breathing returned.  He was talking to the EMT's loading him into the ambulance.  My contention is that I am "self proclaimed" FIFTY TWO and FAT and  that very well could have been me that dropped.  If at all possible, I encourage you to make mention of this to your local organizations and ask them to acquire an AED for the field.

You never know when the life that is saved may be yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Watch your calibrations on these units.  Check your manual many have to be redone on an annual basis (end of the season and calibration maybe an expense to the league).  That being said so glad it was their when needed  

On top of that, nothing beats having trained individuals. Talk to your local Red Cross and see what it would take to get your umpires trained in CPR and AED use. If all your umpires are trained, then you'll always have at least one trained person on each field.

One of the umpires in our association was saved by the use of an AED this season.  Luckily, the trainer had the AED, the base umpire is a retired firefighter, and there was also a California Highway Patrol officer in the stands.  He was sitting up and conscious before the paramedics arrived, though he doesn't remember that part.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Radwaste50 said:

Watch your calibrations on these units.

(Joking) – That may be a local thing for you, @Radwaste50... you know, from all the... stuff floatin’ around New Mexico.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Hey folks, I know I post many things on here that SWMBO does/says etc., but I feel this worth mentioning as it may be beneficial to some of your local organizations.  

I'm sure this a regular series, but this is the second one in just a day or two that I specifically remember.  It leads me say:  Dude, you married up.

Hey folks.  Here it is.  It just aired last evening on local (Harrisburg, PA) news.

https://www.abc27.com/sports/dillsburg-little-league-s-aeds-save-a-life/1934985236

**spoiler alert** I am the large shadowy object holding the outfield gate open at about 0:25, and SWMBO is in the red shirt during the video clips. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Not that we are trying to reach a target, but we just had an AED save a 2nd parent this year Saturday night.  Went to visit them in the hospital yesterday.  Said they haven't felt this good in over  a year.  They had an abnormal rhythm for a while. Seized and died behind the dugout. AED administered shock, Heart is now in perfect rhythm with ZERO abnormalities.

In 20 years with this league, we NEVER had an issue.  Here we are with two in the first year we have the AED's.  (smh) not looking forward to fall ball.  I think I'll get my other knee replaced instead.

• Like 2

@noumpereYeah, you can see where they did the outline of the template with a nail (to the left of center in the chalk).  Not bagging on volunteers, but many don't realize that line from the template IS 4" from the plate, and it should be the outside of the chalk line.

**Side note, Due to the topic, the incorrect placement of the batters box was not why I posted the picture.  But thanks for noticing!

While my CPR/AED certification is currently expired. I am a huge fan of them as well. But people need to know you do not need to be certified to have a go at using them in emergency situations.  2 of my former employers used them and some models are so dummy proof it's crazy. They verbally walk you through what to do, won't discharge if not needed, they can even tell you if you've placed the patches correctly. Ones we had even told you to continue with CPR if needed. 

Just a friendly suggestion...we had an episode in the office building where I worked.
A gentleman had collapsed so we started using the AED.
The problem was he was so hairy we couldn't get the sticky pads to stick.
Fortunately someone  had a razor in the office...now we store disposable razors with the AED unit.

• Like 1

Good call on the razor @BLarson!  I'll be sure to pass it along.

The worst part of this event was trying to keep the players in the dug out to help minimize the trauma from the situation.  The mom collapsed about 20 ft. behind the 1B (cinder block) dugout so they couldn't see), and only a chain link fence separating them otherwise.  Her son was in 1B dugout.  I called time and we sent players to their dugouts as soon as I saw (heard a woman screaming for help and looked over)  her on the ground convulsing, so the 11-12 y/o's could be around adults that may be able any questions and provide any comfort that they could.  Like @Umpire in Chief said, most of the machines are dummy proof.  The following day, the Manager from that team said the part that bothered his son the most, was not being able to see anything, yet still being able to hear the machine's robotic voice saying "push, push, push," when providing the rhythm for chest compressions, after a shock had been administered.

Each AED unit should have a bag with (or inside) them that contains extra pads, a razor, gloves, and barrier masks. Being your units are outside all the time @Aging_Arbiter (at least, I presume they are, unless they're carried to the field each day), you might want to make sure with the manufacturer of the units and the cases that nothing extra needs to be done insofar as battery replacement or unit replacement. I'm sure there are some "outside" models available now that can withstand the heat and/or cold year-round, but most are made to be kept in a climate-controlled building or vehicle.

Update @yawetag........already checked with SWMBO.  There IS the bag you mentioned.  They are stored at each field in the equipment shed (not necessarily outside), and will be removed during the winter.  All pertinent info is recorded by/for the league to make sure we follow up with battery life (testing)/unit replacements....

Awesome. I think your field has a great opportunity to appeal to other fields in how they think about AED purchases. The cost may be high, but even saving one life makes it worth it.

I hate bringing this up, but it would be good to know the scope of your state's "good samaritan" law, protecting people who help in emergencies against liability. That is, to whom it applies and under what circumstances.