Washington, Mo high school game

umpstu
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am in the St Louis area for the week for a wedding and attended a high school baseball game in Washington, Mo today between Ft Zumwalt North and Washington high school.  I think the plate umpire is a member and I wanted to let you know you did a stellar job today.  Great timing, consistent zone, good communication and hustle.  My brother was the administrator for north and we were down the right field line just past the dugout.  Wanted to tell you in person but he had to be somewhere at 7 PM, he was late,  so we had to get out of there real quick. Good job. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, umpstu said:

I am in the St Louis area for the week for a wedding and attended a high school baseball game in Washington, Mo today between Ft Zumwalt North and Washington high school.  I think the plate umpire is a member and I wanted to let you know you did a stellar job today.  Great timing, consistent zone, good communication and hustle.  My brother was the administrator for north and we were down the right field line just past the dugout.  Wanted to tell you in person but he had to be somewhere at 7 PM, he was late,  so we had to get out of there real quick. Good job. 

I will pass this along to the assignors. 

Question.  With a runner on 3rd base only, is there some type of local mechanic which has the base umpire in the deep b position?  Guy did it without fail the whole game. 

18 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Question.  With a runner on 3rd base only, is there some type of local mechanic which has the base umpire in the deep b position?  Guy did it without fail the whole game. 

I'll go deep B with R2, R3 with 2 outs only.  Reasoning is I still have the angle on the pick at third (principle of angle over distance in 2-man) and a better view of what I believe is the more likely back pick with 2 outs at second base behind the trailing runner.  One step back or forward depending on the infielder taking the pick and I get a REALLY nice view of the play.  Also get a better jump getting into position on any routine ground ball going to first on a ball put in play.  It's a preference, but know it's still on the uncommon side of things.  

24 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Only with 2 outs... NFHS wants the BU in B with R3. That I know of....

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

I follow CCA, which has us in C for both R3 only, and R2 & R3.  Dropping into B with 2 outs is something I saw some college guys doing in 2-man and tried it.  Recognized the practicality of it.  I've brought it up to assignors and supervisors at clinics and after explaining they said they have no problem with it.  Less than 2 outs I always stay in C now.  

37 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Unless the organization changed in the past year or two, they were strictly PBUC Red Book mechanics across all levels of play. They never used the Fed book, even telling us to throw them in the trash when they arrived in the mail.

When I worked there, R3 only put BU in C with any number of outs. If you saw deep B (or meant to say deep C, even), that's not a trained mechanic.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Unless the organization changed in the past year or two, they were strictly PBUC Red Book mechanics across all levels of play. They never used the Fed book, even telling us to throw them in the trash when they arrived in the mail.

When I worked there, R3 only put BU in C with any number of outs. If you saw deep B (or meant to say deep C, even), that's not a trained mechanic.

To be honest with you... I haven't heard them say which mechanics to follow. I just know that move to B was a Fed one with 2 outs and that was hammered into me when working in IL. 

11 hours ago, umpstu said:

What a coincidence. I’m flying to St. Louis today for a work event.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yawetag said:

It was deep b. And being St Louis it is now raining. 

5 hours ago, umpstu said:

On purpose? 

My wife and a couple of her cow-orkers are going to a conference. I'm chauffeuring . And probably going out for some evening libations.

26 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

If you’re in the West St Louis country area Saturday I’ll be working a DH

We're leaving Saturday mid-morning, and with a deadline to get back, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JSam21 said:

NFHS wants the BU in B with R3. That I know of

21 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

I follow CCA, which has us in C for both R3 only, and R2 & R3

Oh yeah?  Well my umpire mechanics manual is bigger then YOUR umpire mechanics manual............is not!   Is too!

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, JSam21 said:

Not that I can find in the FED manual. 

page 41 "C" position...This position will be used in any situation with runners occupying second base only, second and third base, third base only, and base loaded in the two man system. THIS POSITION IS NOT DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER OF OUTS

I don't have any issue with "B" with R3 two outs, but I do not believe it is a FED mechanic. If someone can prove me wrong I'd be more than happy to move to "B" in my NJ high school games which use the FED manual verbatim. 

52 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Not that I can find in the FED manual. 

page 41 "C" position...This position will be used in any situation with runners occupying second base only, second and third base, third base only, and base loaded in the two man system. THIS POSITION IS NOT DEPENDENT ON THE NUMBER OF OUTS

I don't have any issue with "B" with R3 two outs, but I do not believe it is a FED mechanic. If someone can prove me wrong I'd be more than happy to move to "B" in my NJ high school games which use the FED manual verbatim. 

Then it may have been an IL thing... I know that it was hammered into us at the IHSA mechanics clinic I attended 

It was something the group has talked about at training as well as meetings. It is not an "official" book mechanic but some advanced 2-man camps are allowing it or giving umpires a choice. If you go by the book it is technically the wrong spot. I prefer to be in B with a righty up and especially if pitcher is in windup.