Sign in to follow this  
Guest Perry

Batting out of order

Question

Guest Perry

Senario:  basesloaded 2 out tie game bottom of 7th.  Wrong batter hits 2 runs score. Game over.  Hand shakes and umpires leave the fielfld.  Opposing team then brings an umpire back to alert of batting out of order.  What is the ruling?

4 answers to this question

Perry, if the appeal is made before the umpires have left the field of play then the appeal would be valid. The way you describe it I think the umpires had already left the field so you would be SOL. Here’s the rule about the umpires and a case play--

2018 NFHS rule 8-2 ART. 6 . . . Appeal procedures and guidelines

j. End of Game. If any situation arises which could lead to an appeal by the defense on the last play of the game, the appeal must be made while an umpire is still on the field of play.

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 8.2.2 Situation J:  With the winning run scoring in the bottom of the seventh inning, the umpires attempt to leave the field. While one umpire has stopped for a drink of water at the dugout, the visiting team appeals that the runner who scored missed third base. RULING:  This is a valid appeal since there is at least one umpire still on the field of play.

• Thanks 1

Since the OP did not specify which rule set his game was played under, I made an educated guess that it was FED—so I answered just for that code.  

However, for games played under college or pro rules, the requirement differs from the high school ruling. When the game has ended any appeal must be made before the pitcher and all infielders leave the infield and the catcher has cleared the dirt circle. The NCAA rules are 5-8e and 8-6b. The pro rule is 5.09c.

A PERFECT example of why you don't hang around and shake hand with everyone and their Grandmother.

But to answer your question, as @Senor Azul quoted, once they leave the field the game is over.  Don't come to my truck with something like this.  I may think you are an irate parent, to which I carry a "Daddy be cool" stick in my truck.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

A PERFECT example of why you don't hang around and shake hand with everyone and their Grandmother.

Amen!

I've had a rash of partners here lately that want to stand around and shake hands with both teams, talk to coaches, run for office, etc.  

I"m like, "The game's over, let's go!"

• Like 3

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this