Mudisfun

Game halted, medics called on F2 taking a ball to the throat.

Working a varsity game the other day... I am PU.

Bottom of 8, tied 0/0, 1 out, R1, new batter.

F1 delivers a pitch in the dirt, which F2 blocks. R1 takes off on the pitch, and is safe on a no throw. F2 is 4-5 feet in front of me, and is asking for time. I can tell he is in pain from his body language, and I did hear plastic when the ball was blocked, so of course I grant it.

I walk towards F2 and just casually ask, 'are you ok?'. F2 responds 'no', so I walk in front of him just as a natural action. He then says 'I can't see', so I ask did he get dirt in his eyes, but from the semi panic look that is coming on his face, I know that’s not the answer. By this point a couple of his team mates are getting to him, and he is telling them he took the ball under the mask and that is struck him in the side of the neck at the Carotid Artery.

At this point the Trainer from the home team arrives and takes over aid for F2. One of the players tells me that last season, F2 took almost the same hit (one in a million, right?) and that he lost consciousness, so obviously this repeat may be an issue.

Trainer moves F2 into the dugout. After a couple  minute delay, the VT HC and I chat for a moment, agree that F2, regardless of outcome is done for the day, and he makes a change to F1/F2. We finish the 8th with no further issues, however I can see the HC on the phone as we complete the inning.

About to start the top of 9, as the VT HC is passing me to go to the 3rd coaches box, I ask how F2 is doing. He tells me that they called 911 to be safe, especially due to the last season incident (smart move). We go to the home team coach and let him know what is going on. At this point I can hear the sirens coming, so I call my partner over who is in short right preparing for the next inning and bring him up to speed on what is going on.

Since the medics are going to have to drive onto the field from the gate in left field, this is not only going to stop the game mid inning, and obviously move everyone into an odd mind set watching a kid get loaded into an ambulance, we decided to call the game. This was a tournament game with a 2:15 NNO and we were already at 2:01, and still tied 0/0.

As my partner and I were dressing down, the coach stopped by on his way to the bus. He told us that F2 did not get transported and that he appeared to have fully recovered after resting/sitting for a little while. Although we were relieved to hear it, we also all agreed that the right decision was made to get 911 on scene and not worry about finishing a HS game.

Just a wild way to end what was a pretty solid game, but at least it had a happy ending.

3 hours ago, Mister B said:

No throat guard? 

No, hockey style mask... but I don't think a dangler would have helped. F2 tried to smother the ball, so his back/head was somewhat hunched forward which would most likely have had left a large gap for the ball to bounce up and hit him.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:40 PM, Mudisfun said:

No, hockey style mask... but I don't think a dangler would have helped. F2 tried to smother the ball, so his back/head was somewhat hunched forward which would most likely have had left a large gap for the ball to bounce up and hit him.

HSMs usually have an extended part below the chin. If F2 is looking down toward a ball in the dirt it should tuck back and protect the throat. A dangler would add more help is properly attached. To get hit in the throat it would seem to me you'd have to look up and expose it.

4 or 5 years ago I had a HS catcher take a ball to the throat and have to be ambulanced to the hospital.  I thought he might die at the plate as he was having trouble breathing.  I believe he crushed his larynx.  It was very scary and I've worn a throat guard ever since.  

9 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

4 or 5 years ago I had a HS catcher take a ball to the throat and have to be ambulanced to the hospital.  I thought he might die at the plate as he was having trouble breathing.  I believe he crushed his larynx.  It was very scary and I've worn a throat guard ever since.  

Now that scenario is scary. Thankfully we did not end up going through that.

I consider myself lucky. When I was catching, before HSM and TGs, I used to get hit in the throat regularly. Never more damage than a stitch tattoo and occasional sore throat.