Batter Interference with 2 Outs

tempetoro
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1845 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If a runner is safe stealing second and batter interference occurs on the throw with 2 outs who is out?

I have the batter out, next batter in the lineup up next inning.

My partner was telling me the runner is out and the batter returns to bat next inning.  

I fee this is a no brainer but am I missing something?

2018 NFHS rule 7-3 A Batter Shall Not:…ART. 5 . . . Interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by:

PENALTY: When there are two outs, the batter is out. When there are not two outs and the runner is advancing to home plate, if the runner is tagged out, the ball remains live and interference is ignored. Otherwise, the ball is dead and the runner is called out. When an attempt to put out a runner at any other base is unsuccessful, the batter is out and all runners must return to bases occupied at the time of the pitch. If the pitch is a third strike and in the umpire’s judgment interference prevents a possible double play (additional outs), two may be ruled out (8-4-2g).

You're not missing anything. Your partner is doubly confused. He seems to have confounded two rules and misunderstood both.

I often wonder why the annual NFHS rules tests don't measure these kinds of rules more closely. In my view, the test should be more about baseball (and less gotcha questions) and the results from your first attempt should be aggregated with others from your Association, so that the Association leadership would  know for example that 50% of its umpires don't know the rules surrounding batter's interference. Sure you can retake the test, but you get 50 different questions.

• Like 1