Jump to content
Mudisfun

HS JV Game EJ on Friday

Recommended Posts

Top of third inning, 1 out, R1/R2. Batter hits the ball to the outfield. R2, rounding third, attempts to score. Catcher is set up legally in front of home plate where he receives the ball. Catcher positions himself to the third base side of home plate, in position to tag R2 who was not yet to the dirt circle. R2 illegally lowered his shoulder in a non-defensive manner and created a collision, malicious contact,  with the catcher versus legally sliding, attempting to avoid, retreating or giving himself up. I immediately called time, declared the runner out, and ejected him from the game for malicious contact.

The score at the time of ejection was 6 to 1 in favor of the visitors, who ultimately won the contest 18 to 2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like I've read this somewhere before...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Seems like I've read this somewhere before...;)

You may have read it before, but I bet you heard about it on the phone before that... smarty pants! :cool:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game ended. I thanked God for getting the coaches to agree to a mercy rule at the plate meeting, which saved me another 1/2 hour of calling ball after ball... I then drove home, ate dinner and hung out with the kids. :-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

The game ended. I thanked God for getting the coaches to agree to a mercy rule at the plate meeting, which saved me another 1/2 hour of calling ball after ball... I then drove home, ate dinner and hung out with the kids. :-)

What do you mean "getting the coaches to agree to a mercy rule at the plate meeting?"  Either your state HS association adopts the mercy rule or not for regular season - how are you making up rules at the plate meeting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NVUmp said:

What do you mean "getting the coaches to agree to a mercy rule at the plate meeting?"  Either your state HS association adopts the mercy rule or not for regular season - how are you making up rules at the plate meeting?

My state has two mercy rules. 10-after-5 is mandatory for all games. 15-after-3 is optional and only if both coaches agree at the pre-game meeting. Most, but not all leagues have a rule that "thou shalt agree", but inter-league play varies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, JV is a whole different thing. Varsity games are tightly regulated by the state. JV games I've had standard 7-inning games with normal run rules, 5-inning doubleheaders, and even a "we'll just play a single 9 inning game with no run rules and pay you for a doubleheader".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kylehutson said:

"we'll just play a single 9 inning game with no run rules and pay you for a doubleheader".

If this came up at the plate meeting, I'd counter with two 5-innings with a 10-after-3 run rule, especially if I accepted a double header originally. Along with other reasons, primarily because I'd want the opportunity to swap positions with my partner. If that means an extra inning of work and a 20-minute delay between games, I think it's worth it.

My opinion, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

In OH, it's  15 after 4 and 10 after 5.  No options.

When did 15 after 4 come in? School or travel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scrounge said:

When did 15 after 4 come in? School or travel?

Good point - I'm getting them discombobulated.  :question1:

HS is only 10 after 5.

Babe Ruth, Travel and Legion normally do the 15 after 4 in addition to the 10 after 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NVUmp said:

What do you mean "getting the coaches to agree to a mercy rule at the plate meeting?"  Either your state HS association adopts the mercy rule or not for regular season - how are you making up rules at the plate meeting?

Hold your horses there Hoss... This is a JV game where, if the coaches agree to it at the PLATE MEETING, then a mercy rule can be put into place. If not discussed, or not agreed to, then there is no mercy rule... So although I would love to just MSU at the plate meeting, this is not the case. For Varsity, there is no mercy rule, except for one of the leagues in our area where that is part of their league rule.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yawetag said:

If this came up at the plate meeting, I'd counter with two 5-innings with a 10-after-3 run rule, especially if I accepted a double header originally. Along with other reasons, primarily because I'd want the opportunity to swap positions with my partner. If that means an extra inning of work and a 20-minute delay between games, I think it's worth it..

The AD emailed us a couple of days ahead of time asking if that would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

The AD emailed us a couple of days ahead of time asking if that would work.

I'd still counter with it, after talking to my partner.

If it were two good schools, I might consider it outright. But to be forced into a 9-inning one-sided affair isn't fun for anyone. At least with two 5s and a run rule, you can sacrifice some time if it's that lopsided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My (only) favorite about JV / Freshman ball? 1 hr, 45 minutes... drop dead.

2 and a half innings later... We gone!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything non-varsity should have a time limit. Drop dead would be even better. Encourages pace of play, kills the three hour sloppy baseball game, and you’d likely get more umpires willing to do them after work etc. 

I also wish HS would go to more of a tournament rule, something like 15/3, 12 or 10/4, 8/5. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MadMax said:

My (only) favorite about JV / Freshman ball? 1 hr, 45 minutes... drop dead.

2 and a half innings later... We gone!

I wish... in So Cal for JV and below, 2.5hr no new inning... 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My team this year has two returning players (I'm the only Junior, one Senior, we're the two returning players), and we play the our best opponents to start the year... I'm kinda glad MO has adopted a 15/3 rule, at least, for now. First inning we only gave up 2 runs (after going down on three strike outs, only one swinging :mad:), three more outs, and I went right back behind the dish to catch a 13 run inning. Then three more up, three more down, and that's the game. The JV game only went a little better. It could be a long season...

Hey, at least I had a pretty good dialogue going on with PU (Hi Bob!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...