Help with a couple of rules clarifications

BlueMagic

For all the rules gurus:

Question 1: Under NFHS rules, is the player who  toes the rubber at the beginning of an inning mandated to pitch to/retire one batter, or is that only for the starting pitcher to begin the game and a substitute pitcher at any point thereafter?

Example: Team A’s starting pitcher has pitched 6 innings. He toes the rubber to start the 7th & throws one warmup pitch when Team A’s head coach sends a relief pitcher to the mound. Would the starting pitcher be required to stay in?

Question 2: Under NFHS rules (or any rule set), can more than 2 batters be outside of the dugout timing up the pitcher between innings? I have worked with umpires who’ve enforced this & I have as well, but I didn’t know if it’s a rule or something done under the umbrella of game management. I know pitchers may not like seeing 4 & 5 batters out timing them up.

Thanks for any help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In your case of example one, the coach may change the pitcher without penalty. See rules 3-1-1 and 3-1-2. The starting pitcher has already fulfilled his pitching obligation under 3-1-1, and the substitute would have to pitch to a batter or substitute batter, or record a 3rd out under rule 3-1-2.

As for example two, I usually allow the batter and the on deck batter to be out of the dugout, but no more. I think there is a provision for this in the rulebook or casebook, but I can't find it right now. I'll look further, or someone else can weigh in.

10 minutes ago, JonnyCat said:

In your case of example one, the coach may change the pitcher without penalty. See rules 3-1-1 and 3-1-2. The starting pitcher has already fulfilled his pitching obligation under 3-1-1, and the substitute would have to pitch to a batter or substitute batter, or record a 3rd out under rule 3-1-2.

As for example two, I usually allow the batter and the on deck batter to be out of the dugout, but no more. I think there is a provision for this in the rulebook or casebook, but I can't find it right now. I'll look further, or someone else can weigh in.

Thank you!

Question 2 falls under 3-3-1i:

A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: (i) be outside the designated dugout (bench) or bullpen area if not a batter, runner, on-deck batter, in the coach's box or one of the nine players on defense.

14 minutes ago, yawetag said:

Question 2 falls under 3-3-1i:

A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: (i) be outside the designated dugout (bench) or bullpen area if not a batter, runner, on-deck batter, in the coach's box or one of the nine players on defense.

While you can use this rule it’s more a game management issue and the literal rule has some issues. We will allow subs running to warm up between innings and a sub throwing to the outfield. 

Mr. yawetag, doesn’t the rule you cited apply only to live ball situations?

From the 2019 case book play 3.3.1 AAA-- “By rule, no one should be out of the dugout/bench area or bullpen if not a batter, runner, on-deck batter, in the coach’s box or one of the nine players on defense during a live ball.”

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 3.3.1 Situation BBB (formerly 3.3.1 WW):  Between innings, the non-playing players of Team A run in foul territory toward the outfield fence to stay loose. The coach of Team B protests that this is not legal and is delaying the contest. RULING: The coach of Team B is incorrect. It is legal provided this activity does not delay the start of the next half-inning.

The topic of number of batters out of the dugout to warm up between innings has been discussed in at least four other threads—

Rules forum—How many batters are allowed to warm up between innings? 4-15-18

Free For All forum—On-Deck Batter Watching New Pitcher  5-3-15

Rules forum—Taking Swings Between Innings  6-14-15

High School forum—Near the on deck circle  4-15-16

16 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

The topic of number of batters out of the dugout to warm up between innings has been discussed in at least four other threads—

Rules forum—How many batters are allowed to warm up between innings? 4-15-18

Free For All forum—On-Deck Batter Watching New Pitcher  5-3-15

Rules forum—Taking Swings Between Innings  6-14-15

High School forum—Near the on deck circle  4-15-16

I didn’t find them. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Senor Azul said:

Mr. yawetag, doesn’t the rule you cited apply only to live ball situations?

It does, and only clarified in the case book. For all the extraneous info Fed likes to add in the rules, you'd think they'd add "during live ball" on that one.

My fault.