Chartwig03

All Star 4000 UMP vs 4000 MAG

I've noticed the MAG seems to looks wider and rounder from what I've seen. While the UMP looks like it is smaller and would fit better on someone with a smaller head? Can anyone confirm?

Will check w/ Brad @ All Star and get back to you ....... who knows, he may come on here and answer it himself! :nod: 

• Like 1

Amazingly there is only a 0.2 ounce difference between the two masks too (at least according to the All-Star website).  I assume the MAG is worth the price difference in the long term due to better sight lines (it appears) and because it's much less likely to ever bend/break, right?

No welds = no additional or lapped material to peer through.

No welds = no breaking

Magnesium = no bending

Now, the only problem with it being magnesium is the lower density means stiff, instant transfer of impact energy to the pads. Diamond would kill people if they produced this mask. All-Star is really making big strides with this mask by implementing active, expert feedback (from catchers, but still), which resulted in the new jaw pads, with their hard-cast distribution plate and increased volume, and the newly (finally! took you companies long enough!) redesigned hard hat (skull cap) with dampening insert. All-Star does great things for catchers because catchers are wearing their products for 7-9 innings at a go!

Hmmm... who else is actually wearing a mask for 14-18 innings at a go? If only we had “our company” step up and do something for us!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:06 AM, MadMax said:

No welds = no additional or lapped material to peer through.

No welds = no breaking

Magnesium = no bending

Now, the only problem with it being magnesium is the lower density means stiff, instant transfer of impact energy to the pads. Diamond would kill people if they produced this mask. All-Star is really making big strides with this mask by implementing active, expert feedback (from catchers, but still), which resulted in the new jaw pads, with their hard-cast distribution plate and increased volume, and the newly (finally! took you companies long enough!) redesigned hard hat (skull cap) with dampening insert. All-Star does great things for catchers because catchers are wearing their products for 7-9 innings at a go!

Hmmm... who else is actually wearing a mask for 14-18 innings at a go? If only we had “our company” step up and do something for us!

Max, again, well said.   Your comments made me think ..... it wouldn't take much to give us a little more protection, would it?  Can't think of another company who may consider this for us but All-Star! Hmmmmm ....  :HS 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:06 AM, MadMax said:

12 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Max, again, well said.   Your comments made me think ..... it wouldn't take much to give us a little more protection, would it?  Can't think of another company who may consider this for us but All-Star! Hmmmmm ....  :HS 

OH! OH! PICK ME! PICK ME! I KNOW!:yippie:

• Haha 4