First piece of new equipment in a while!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1809 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just now, Thunderheads said:

I'm thinking a shovel!!  Ya think ?? :insertevillaughhere:

LOL... I heard something about a guy having them now. :meditation:

And Mr. Ray Brownlie is going to be selling them as well.:rock

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm actually curious what it would look like with a shovel. 

Yeah, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that!  I'm thinking the wider, more 'rectangle' look of the shovel will balance the bottom out better .....

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, umpstu said:

I have taken a hit wearing the All Star fm4000mag with and without the con cushion.  Without it stings when getting hit.  With it greatly reduces the blow to your head.  Don't feel it near as much and it doesn't sting.

The only downfall I don't like is that their disclaimer indicates that it needs replaced after 50 games. 

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

The only downfall I don't like is that their disclaimer indicates that it needs replaced after 50 games. 

I don't disagree, but I think of this as a disclaimer to ensure they can't be sued.  

In my thinking, this is small company that makes these and can't afford to shell out big bucks if an injury occurs.  To avoid the lawsuit, they put a simple 50 games (average 1 year of plates for most umpires I'd guess) on it and then recommend that you replace it. 

It's like the mask pad-makers who recommend that you replace your mask pads every year.  This has two parts to help the maker,

1. you buy new pads each year (necessary to sustain earnings)
  2. and it also helps to avoid injury if a pad goes bad.  

I'd say the con-cushion folks are using this same logic, but just took an extra step to have less culpability in the case of an injury.   They're covering their hiney.  It's just good business.

Of course, I could be wrong and maybe they're just trying to make more money in sales or possibly they truly realize that these do wear out after 50 games and need replaced. Just my :2cents:

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I wonder why they didnt ask Lucroy to wear a navy con-cushion so it would be more visible?

MLB uniform requirements, I'd bet. If a player's shoe has to meet team colors, I'm sure something on the mask does too.

23 hours ago, yawetag said:

MLB uniform requirements, I'd bet. If a player's shoe has to meet team colors, I'm sure something on the mask does too.

That's why I went with asking about it possibly being Navy or another color to match the color scheme. Heck, even white maybe?

So how are you liking this mask? I was watching an MLB game last night (don't remember which one) and the ump had a 4000mag (a yellow/tan one - yours is much better looking!) and that bottom pad just looks massive.  Does it cover your entire mouth? And does it have a negative impact on being able to verbalize calls?  It looks great, but..., that huge bottom mask.... 

6 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

So how are you liking this mask? I was watching an MLB game last night (don't remember which one) and the ump had a 4000mag (a yellow/tan one - yours is much better looking!) and that bottom pad just looks massive.  Does it cover your entire mouth? And does it have a negative impact on being able to verbalize calls?  It looks great, but..., that huge bottom mask.... 

I like it a lot!  That was their new tan leather pad for the MAG (NYY @ Astros )  It does seem to affect your voicing, but not as much as you'd think actually.  I think the look of the bottom pad is what gives it the distinctive look!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

1 minute ago, Thunderheads said:

I like it a lot!  That was their new tan leather pad for the MAG (NYY @ Astros )  It does seem to affect your voicing, but not as much as you'd think actually.  I think the look of the bottom pad is what gives it the distinctive look!

It's funny how much David Rackley yesterday in Houston is getting mentioned. Mostly for the tan LUC padding. But also a few times for his call at the plate.

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

It's funny how much David Rackley yesterday in Houston is getting mentioned. Mostly for the tan LUC padding. But also a few times for his call at the plate.

those aren't actually LUC ....they're leather!  All Star has leather versions for the MAG mask in black and tan! :nod: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:41 AM, Thunderheads said:

Yes sir, thanks!  I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the color ...I like the darker tone of the gray, they actually call it "graphite" and now that I've seen it in person, that color name makes sense!

Where did you get the graphite colored foam pads?

7 hours ago, AtlUmp said:

Got an update, apparently after I called they updated the website with the replacement Mag Pads, the graphite aren't listed but the other colors are. https://www.all-starsports.com/pfm4000mag.html

Just ask for the "graphite" LUC pads when you call .... they HAVE THEM, my mask is proof :nod: