First piece of new equipment in a while!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1789 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'm not talking about 'new' as in 'new to me' ....but I'm talking my first piece of BRAND SPANKING new equipment!

My FM4000 MAG will be at my door this afternoon and I must say ....... I'm pretty damn excited!  Photo to be added later! :nod: :yippie:

• Like 6

I've read a couple threads on this mask on the Forum.  I'm interested in the mask, but am a little concerned about the things I've seen.  Couple questions:

1. What made you want to try this mask?

2. Are you planning on modifying it with different pads/harness?

3. Any other concerns with the mask?

Hope you love it - I really want to try it - guess I'll watch here for updates and decide then.

8 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

I've read a couple threads on this mask on the Forum.  I'm interested in the mask, but am a little concerned about the things I've seen.  Couple questions:

Hope you love it - I really want to try it - guess I'll watch here for updates and decide then.

The only concern I had happened the first time I took a shot towards the top of the mask.  It actually stung and Mad Max explained the reason for it was it is designed for a catcher wearing a helmet so not as much protection in the top pad.  Saw Gerry Davis wearing a Con-Cushion pad one night and ordered one and it solved the problem.  Love this mask.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

Concerned about ??

1.  All Star makes great stuff, dependable and solid.  They are also the only manufacturer that tests their equipment with their own air-gun firing baseballs at it!

2. Mods? Not sure yet.  I know I'll be dropping a throat guard on it.  Pads, no.  I love the LUC pads and have had no issues with them.

3. No.  @umpstu brought up a concern with his situation, and I've seen an MLB umpire receive a concussion while wearing one, mind you, he took a 97mph shot to the head as well, go figure ;) 

7 hours ago, umpstu said:

The only concern I had happened the first time I took a shot towards the top of the mask.  It actually stung and Mad Max explained the reason for it was it is designed for a catcher wearing a helmet so not as much protection in the top pad.  Saw Gerry Davis wearing a Con-Cushion pad one night and ordered one and it solved the problem.  Love this mask.

I had one and unfortunately sold it due to this concern.   Then, Gerry Davis came out with that pad.  I would encourage everyone wearing the Mag to get it. I've even thought of getting one for other masks I have.  You can't be too safe when you only have one brain. 

I have heard other guys switched the top pad to a TW pad, which is a bit thicker and offers more stand-off distance to absorb the impact. All in all, this is a great mask. 

I think the Mag is the best overall mask out there today - barring maybe F3 V2.  But then comparing the F3 to the Mag is definitely apples and oranges.  They're not in the same categories in my opinion.  If you want a lightweight, neat-looking, wicked-light mask - get the Mag;  if you want a tank of a mask that will absorb a cannon shot, then get the F3.  It's like trying to decide if you want a Porsche or a Ferrari - which one is better?  Once again, it all comes down to personal preference.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I had one and unfortunately sold it due to this concern.   Then, Gerry Davis came out with that pad.  I would encourage everyone wearing the Mag to get it. I've even thought of getting one for other masks I have.  You can't be too safe when you only have one brain. 

I have heard other guys switched the top pad to a TW pad, which is a bit thicker and offers more stand-off distance to absorb the impact. All in all, this is a great mask. 

I think the Mag is the best overall mask out there today - barring maybe F3 V2.  But then comparing the F3 to the Mag is definitely apples and oranges.  They're not in the same categories in my opinion.  If you want a lightweight, neat-looking, wicked-light mask - get the Mag;  if you want a tank of a mask that will absorb a cannon shot, then get the F3.  It's like trying to decide if you want a Porsche or a Ferrari - which one is better?  Once again, it all comes down to personal preference.

to be honest .... and trust me I understand @wolfe_man and @umpstu stories ....... this exact thing could have happened w/ any other mask also (IMHO)

• Like 1

Ok...so here's the real question...how much lighter does it honestly feel from your STOCK FM4000 setup (BEFORE you put TWs in the 4k) I have been tempted to pick up a set of the Mag pads for a stock 4k setup....the thought being that perhaps the Mag lower pad provides more safety than the stock 4k LUC or perhaps even the TWs (I could see that built in ABS plate making a tremendous difference by spreading out the impact force a lot.)

• Like 3

On 3/8/2019 at 5:07 PM, midtnump said:

@Thunderheads that is a sweet looking mask! Love the pad color! 

Yes sir, thanks!  I was PLEASANTLY surprised at the color ...I like the darker tone of the gray, they actually call it "graphite" and now that I've seen it in person, that color name makes sense!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tborze said:

@Thunderheads OK!  Where can I find them?  :banghead:

Black n gray flag to cover up the All-Star logo would b sweet!?  JMO

find what? Black and Gray flag patch to cover the logo?  I don't know?  I'm glad the logo is black though ....won't really get that dirty

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

find what? Black and Gray flag patch to cover the logo?  I don't know?  I'm glad the logo is black though ....won't really get that dirty

Did you get a black con cushion from Gerry Davis?

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Have you used yours and taken a hit yet this season?

Has anyone taken a hit while wearing the con-cushion mask enhancer yet?  I'd love to hear first-hand feedback.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Has anyone taken a hit while wearing the con-cushion mask enhancer yet?  I'd love to hear first-hand feedback.

I have taken a hit wearing the All Star fm4000mag with and without the con cushion.  Without it stings when getting hit.  With it greatly reduces the blow to your head.  Don't feel it near as much and it doesn't sting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...