New All-Star Skull Cap SC500

Rock Bottom
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1852 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know in some other threads people have mentioned the desire for new skull caps.  I don't know if this fits the bill, but interestingly, All-Star has a new

skull cap out (SC500 - see link below) and it appears to have that new green shock absorption material in it (not sure what that's called - maybe it's just green D30).  Anyway,

thought I'd share.   Does anyone have experience with this?  I have one on the way to me now.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/all-star-adult-catchers-cap-19astuctchrscpxxxbth/19astuctchrscpxxxbth?

If I had a All Star Mag or lightweight mask, I'd totally get one of these.  I'm thinking about it anyhow.

But I gotta ask - did you get the black or blue? 

Gerry used (uses?) the blue and I can't figure out why. His uniforms are black and MLB blue and the royal blue one doesn't exactly match.  Is it marketing? I mean it stands out and we all ask what it is now, so it's working.

image.thumb.png.74f0a59585ab7928f3076cdf00d1b40c.png

image.png.d21a53fd40426095a9e3b93138268d96.png

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

If I had a All Star Mag or lightweight mask, I'd totally get one of these.  I'm thinking about it anyhow.

But I gotta ask - did you get the black or blue?  Gerry used (uses?) the blue and I can't figure out why when he only wears black and MLB blue and it doesn't match.

image.thumb.png.74f0a59585ab7928f3076cdf00d1b40c.png

image.png.3e42e6cfe1ad7486dab6754f526789f7.png

I have the stock black pads that come with the All Star magnesium so I chose the black cushion. Gerry Davis might be wearing the blue so you will notice it.  That way you know it's out there and it gets people talking about it.  Free advertising.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I have the stock black pads that come with the All Star magnesium so I chose the black cushion. Gerry Davis might be wearing the blue so you will notice it.  That way you know it's out there and it gets people talking about it.  Free advertising.

I think I've seen you post about it before, but wanted to make sure.  First-hand feedback is always good. Thanks!

They're getting closer, but not quite right (yet)...
SC500_Navy_TOP?wid=500&fmt=jpg

"Why do you say that, Max?"
On which end is the advanced, closed-cell, shock-absorbing liner foam?

Uhhhh...yeah. The backside. Why's it on the backside? Because catchers wear this "backwards", with the bill in the back...

Uhhhh... yeah. Again, great for catchers, not for umpires.

Besides, the bill is too broad for umpires. Non-issue for catchers.

#StartConsideringUmpires #BuildForU(mp)s

• Like 3

I got the SC500 yesterday -- it was a little tight for me, and while it wasn't so, the uncomfortable part for me was the way the top of my head hit the helmet.  I understand @MadMax's points, so was going to try flipping it around like a catcher, but even that wasn't so great (for me at least, obviously it might be perfect for you).  That's why I'm asking about the Uncap above.  

On 3/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Aging_Arbiter said:

That's something I could use for SWMBO sometimes when her graceful nature leaves her while "walking" into things.

I thought you were going to say it would be good for you to have when SWMBO gets too close with the frying pan.

• Haha 3