Information available signal

Guest Matt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1856 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Baseball has a new signal in NFHS.  The "Information Available" signal.  This is where an umpire puts his/her hand on the chest to signal to the other umpires that he/she has additional information about the play and or/ruling on the play.  As officials, are we not supposed to wait until a manager comes out to ask or challenge?  Thoughts?

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Depends on the situation, but in general you shouldn't look at changing a call until the manager questions it. The signal is more for when your partner is having a discussion with the coach. You get in eyesight of your partner and make the signal.

BTW, this has been a thing for much longer than NFHS wrote it in their book. For me, it's always been taking my cap off.

NFHS is trying to catch up, and I'll give them some credit for that. While I give them a lot of crap for being what they are, I do have to remind myself that there are umpires and organizations that don't have the experience or drive that other umpires and organizations have, and these "minimum standards" are almost required to give them something. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan of this when I first heard about it. However, yesterday my partner used it as a "let's talk between innings" signal as opposed to an "I have information about a call" signal. It was very discrete and I strongly prefer it to crossing your arms in an "X" in front of your body, which is much more obvious. 

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

For me, it's always been taking my cap off.

Locally, we pre-game to put your hand in your ball bag or pockets (bases), as you don't "normally" stand or walk around that way.......BUT......it's a not so obvious indicator that your partner will pick up on.

What happened to getting the call right?

If I see a HC getting ready to come out and question a call on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. I'm calling "TIME" and going to my partner!

No signal required!  

If it's a judgement call on the same situation, but the HC doesn't intend on coming out, that's when I give MY signal!  We talk about it and go from there!  

Get it right!

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

What happened to getting the call right?

If I see a HC getting ready to come out and question a call on a pulled foot, swipe tag, etc. I'm calling "TIME" and going to my partner!

No signal required!  

If it's a judgement call on the same situation, but the HC doesn't intend on coming out, that's when I give MY signal!  We talk about it and go from there!  

Get it right!

A. Don't assume why he's coming out.

B. If he doesn't come out, you just made your crew look incompetent. 

Also, a pulled foot/swipe tag is judgement. I don't know why you added that part in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

If I'm a smart, likeable coach that knows about this, I come talk to the umpire and simply say "alright, let's both turn to your partner and see if he gives you the information available signal".

A smart, generally-likeable umpire will make the signal before you even make it within hearing distance of his smart, quiet-but-respected-by-all-coaches partner.

13 hours ago, Matt said:

A. Don't assume why he's coming out.

B. If he doesn't come out, you just made your crew look incompetent. 

Also, a pulled foot/swipe tag is judgement. I don't know why you added that part in. Me either 

I should have been more clear, Sorry!  

I meant it as "my" call, not "a" call.  

I personally don't see a need for a signal from my partner to tell me I may have screwed the pooch.