Difference b/w All-Star FM4000 & FM4000UMP?

Rock Bottom
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1857 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

FYI - I just found the All-Star FM4000 online at WalMart for only $75.95 plus free shipping with returns allowed at the store.  I haven't been able to find it anywhere close to that elsewhere (and they don't sell it on ump-attire).  Here's the link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allstar-Catchers-Mask-FM4000/189548289?selected=true

Is this different at all from the FM4000UMP (other than the harness)?  The 4000UMP is $99.95 and no free shipping from WM on that one.

(The FM4000 is being sold by Bases Loaded through the WalMart site - I checked bbb.org, and they are A+ rated.)

2 hours ago, midtnump said:

Here you go for 69.95 with the umpire harness not the catchers harness: http://www.wilsonbowlingandsporting.com/allstumfamam.html

Thanks - but with the free shipping WalMart is still about $9 cheaper (and if I don't like it the return is easy and free).  Still trying to find out what the difference is between a black FM4000 and black 4000UMP besides the harness.  So far I haven't found anything.

43 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Still trying to find out what the difference is between a black FM4000 and black 4000UMP besides the harness.  So far I haven't found anything.

You’re not going to. Harness is the only difference. If there are discrepancies in pricing, it’s due to the catchers’ deltaflex harness... and that a retailer likely got a larger quantity of for-catchers’ masks than for-umpires.

My existing FM4000 started life as a navy-padded catcher’s mask. I sold the navy deltaflex to a high school kid, stuck the pads on my navy mask (for high school games in eastern states!), and then put TWs and a black harness on it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Thanks - but with the free shipping WalMart is still about $9 cheaper (and if I don't like it the return is easy and free).  Still trying to find out what the difference is between a black FM4000 and black 4000UMP besides the harness.  So far I haven't found anything.

Double check the walmart listing, its the regular catchers version harness not the umpire harness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Thanks all!  Looks like a great deal then.  I haven't used either harness yet, but I'm assuming I can live with the Delta Flex for a while.

I've had both.  The DF harness is hard to use for umpires. I have a big head (7 3/8) and it's still kind of loose on me.  It only has Velcro adjustments instead of the normal ones we're used to using as umpires.  It's built for use over a hard helmet/catcher's cap, so not built for normal hat-size.    To each their own, but they look bad too (hence the nickname of sports bra) for an umpire.  If it were my decision and the difference was only $5-10 between the FM4000 and the FM4000UMP, then I believe the regular/umpire harness is better than the DF for umpires and would spend a few extra bucks for it.  That's my :2cents:.

Bottom line: do what you are comfortable with and can afford.  We've all used gear that maybe wasn't our favorite or the best out there until we could afford what we really wanted/needed. 

• Like 1

It's too bad that +POS doesn't have a retail store.  They're right in your backyard so to speak and have a great affordable mask at $49.99.   It's just a shame his reputation for delivering promptly isn't better so folks would trust him to come through on time.  The Zro-G is a great mask for under $50 (under $60 shipped) and you can pick silver, grey or black coating.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I've had both.  The DF harness is hard to use for umpires. I have a big head (7 3/8) and it's still kind of loose on me.  It only has Velcro adjustments instead of the normal ones we're used to using as umpires.  It's built for use over a hard helmet/catcher's cap, so not built for normal hat-size.    To each their own, but they look bad too (hence the nickname of sports bra) for an umpire.  If it were my decision and the difference was only $5-10 between the FM4000 and the FM4000UMP, then I believe the regular/umpire harness is better than the DF for umpires and would spend a few extra bucks for it.  That's my :2cents:.

Bottom line: do what you are comfortable with and can afford.  We've all used gear that maybe wasn't our favorite or the best out there until we could afford what we really wanted/needed. 

Hmm, well that's very good to know.  I was actually planning on using a skull cap underneath as I've had a couple of concussions as a catcher and didn't want another one, but I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I ordered a Schutt HSM too because I got a great deal on it - I'll have to check them both out to see if I like both or either.  This seems like the hardest equipment choice.  The plate shoes I went with NB 460v3s, and then shin guards the F3 Ultimates, Nutty Buddy cup, but the masks choices are just so hard in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Hmm, well that's very good to know.  I was actually planning on using a skull cap underneath as I've had a couple of concussions as a catcher and didn't want another one, but I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I ordered a Schutt HSM too because I got a great deal on it - I'll have to check them both out to see if I like both or either.  This seems like the hardest equipment choice.  The plate shoes I went with NB 460v3s, and then shin guards the F3 Ultimates, Nutty Buddy cup, but the masks choices are just so hard in my opinion.

If you're using a skull cap, then that's what its designed for - so you'll be in good shape!  And they don't look sloppy on those either.   Leave a review once you get it and use it please. Thanks!

Oh, and masks are huge variety, but all do the same thing - protect your face.  The main differences are material (Ti and Mag for lightweight) then hollow vs. solid steel which is mainly just trying to cut the weight down.  The downside to having a super-light mask is your face and neck ends up taking some of the recoil if you don't have great pads.  For me, I prefer hollow steel.  I got rocked in a Nike Ti with TW's that scared me a bit, so I avoid Ti masks.  I know this isn't the case with everyone, but I've taken far worse shots in steel masks with no adverse affects.

Then, it's what style you're looking for.  Some want what the pros wear, while others are happy with what they like.  I've had a ton of masks, but I cannot honestly state that there is a HUGE difference between the majority of them out there.  As some on here will tell you, get a mask you like and can afford - then put TW pads on it for max protection and you should be in pretty good shape.  For the early cold weather games, some of us like leather pads then switch to TW as it heats up.

As a side note, I think my favorite mask that I've owned and wished I'd kept was the new All Star Mag FM4000.  Very neat looking, wicked light and offers great deflection properties which affords better protection. 

Best of luck out there and have fun!

• Like 3