Sign in to follow this  
Heave-Ho

Mount Rushmore of Umpiring

Howdy,

With the season approaching, thought I'd start up a little conversation. What would you consider the "Mount Rushmore" of umpiring? The 4 biggest tournaments to work, or levels to umpire, etc. 

For example:

Little League World Series

Cooperstown

High School Playoffs (Semi-Finals/Finals)

Perfect Game Tournament

Just trying to get a little baseball talk going.

I’m guessing you mean at the  amateur level?

NCAA D1 World Series

NCAA D2 World Series

Olympics

NAIA World Series

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Heave-Ho said:

Just trying to get a little baseball talk going.

You’re that starved for baseball talk??

Your example is woefully diminutive. I’ve worked 3 of the 4 you listed (finals, at that!), and I do not consider them to be a Mount Rushmore. Perhaps a gift-shop scale model paperweight version of the real thing.

If you’re speaking in strictly amateur terms, then @JSam21‘s answer is probably closer to mark. In lieu of the Olympics (which is only carried sporadically by the Summer Games), I might suggest one of the Independent Pro Leagues – such as the Cape Cod Baseball League or the NorthWoods League – or perhaps the American Legion World Series in Shelby, NC.

@noumpere is on the right track – just do the best with what games you are in, and put yourself in a good spot for the next one.

• Like 3

I think it depends entirely on the individual umpire. If you're someone like myself or @Heave-Ho, then stuff like:

- City/League Championships

- HS Playoffs (one day...)

- Legitimate Travel Ball Tourneys

for us, at least, IS a big deal, especially when you consider that we're not far removed in age from the kids we call, as opposed to decades or generations in other umpires' cases.

Personally the game I am most proud of is my plate game for a travel tourney championship game this past summer that was a 7 inning pitcher's duel between two of the best teams in the age group in the NTX/DFW area. I think I rung up at least 15 kids, which was a total blast, especially since I had started ripping off Alan Porter's 3K call a few weeks prior.

So, yeah, it's absolutely true there's almost always something bigger to get to, but I think it's also important not to forget that we aren't all at the same place, headed to the same place, or have the same aspirations.

-BR

• Like 1