First games of the year!

catsbackr
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1863 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

23 hours ago, catsbackr said:

My first games of the year are tomorrow.  It's supposed to be 45 degrees and windy.  Welcome to college baseball!

Lucky! Not sure if the temperature will get above 0* today in SW Minnesota. I have 5-foot snow drifts outside of my Apartment! Had an indoor scrimmage last week and one of the first live pitches I had was 88 up and in. 

16 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

Yea....We're freezing out here in California. Today it's only  suppose to get up to........... ummm never mind.:P

Hey man all the SoCal games got rained out today from a couple hours of rain overnight :smachhead:

Shoot, I'm still doing Middle School Basketball. It is tough to sweat your butt off, then walk out into sub-30 (and that's warm!) weather. They canceled sectional games here a couple weeks ago. We had a high of -17 for a couple days and schools were closed for 3-4 days. 

I'm scheduled to open a week from Saturday...forecast in STL that day is rainy and 47.  But that could turn into snow and 20, or sunny and 60 between now and then.  Welcome to Missourah!

37 minutes ago, MUAump2 said:

I'm scheduled to open a week from Saturday...forecast in STL that day is rainy and 47.  But that could turn into snow and 20, or sunny and 60 between now and then.  Welcome to Missourah!

Sounds like here in Portland, Oregon sans the snow for the most part.

We have a saying here. "If you dont like the weather report on one station. Change the channel." Basically, every weather report will be different. An example is this past weekend's #Snowmageddon2019. Of the five local news channels. Four were reporting we could get "anywhere between 1 to 14 inches of snow." It was laughable! 

13 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Sounds like here in Portland, Oregon sans the snow for the most part.

We have a saying here. "If you dont like the weather report on one station. Change the channel." Basically, every weather report will be different. An example is this past weekend's #Snowmageddon2019. Of the five local news channels. Four were reporting we could get "anywhere between 1 to 14 inches of snow." It was laughable! 

Here in Missouri (there's no ah @MUAump2 :mad:) we get the best of both worlds. This past week, my little sister took her skates out and was skating in our backyard and on our driveway (which took five days to clear). Contrast that too last spring where I had seven of my team's games cancelled in a row over two weeks. "Fun" times. 

We have a similar saying that goes "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes." Here's an actual radar image from a week back 

52341855_2300388466641078_6417905961817604096_n.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:08 PM, Stk004 said:

Hey man all the SoCal games got rained out today from a couple hours of rain overnight :smachhead:

Oh darn.  Somebody forgot to tell the folks out here in the Coachella Valley to cancel my DH.

3 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm sure everyone has seen the video on Facebook from Central Michigan of the kid taking infield with hockey skates on?

And I thought it sucked to have constant rain (ok, I live in Portland... what ever).

Just watched it. Nope.  It's 58 here right now and I have the heater roaring.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Biscuit said:

Here in Missouri (there's no ah @MUAump2 :mad:) we get the best of both worlds. This past week, my little sister took her skates out and was skating in our backyard and on our driveway (which took five days to clear). Contrast that too last spring where I had seven of my team's games cancelled in a row over two weeks. "Fun" times. 

We have a similar saying that goes "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes." Here's an actual radar image from a week back 

52341855_2300388466641078_6417905961817604096_n.jpg

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

There is a running joke up here about not being able to have a whole winter in one single week. The State of Washington replied "here... hold my beer."

As @Biscuit posted @BT_Blue, I live in St. Louis. This night when I went to bed... It was roughly 60 degrees outside, while in KC it was in the 20s. So we had 3 of the 4 seasons at the same time. 

Yesterday it was a high of 62 here in STL... Today we are currently at today's high temperature of 24 and expecting 2-4" of snow starting around noon...

There was some year back, when I was in St. Louis, that I had 3 days of games canceled in a row (in this order): too windy (70 degrees), too cold (20 degrees), currently snowing.

I also remember a day when I went to work at 7am and it was 70ish, left at 3pm in 2 inches of snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JSam21 said:

As @Biscuit posted @BT_Blue, I live in St. Louis. This night when I went to bed... It was roughly 60 degrees outside, while in KC it was in the 20s. So we had 3 of the 4 seasons at the same time. 

Yesterday it was a high of 62 here in STL... Today we are currently at today's high temperature of 24 and expecting 2-4" of snow starting around noon...

We're just a few hours ahead of you here in KC... It was 60 yesterday morning, 20 by 5 pm, and we're supposed to get 6 inches today. Already at 2 or 3.