Rock Bottom

New Balance 460V3 Fit?

I just got a pair of New Balance 460V3 low cut, and they feel a little tight in the width department - is that normal?  I got a great deal at Dick's with a 20% off coupon, but they only offer it in the medium width (I normally wear NB 10.5 in regular cross-trainers, but went up to an 11 in these).  Do these stretch on the sides, or if they are tight now should I expect them to stay tight?  Thank as always!  (I know I can order from ump-attire and try out different sizes/widths, but I'd like to not have to order 4-5 shoes to try on!) :)

On 2/6/2019 at 10:55 PM, Rock Bottom said:

I just got a pair of New Balance 460V3 low cut, and they feel a little tight in the width department - is that normal?  I got a great deal at Dick's with a 20% off coupon, but they only offer it in the medium width (I normally wear NB 10.5 in regular cross-trainers, but went up to an 11 in these).  Do these stretch on the sides, or if they are tight now should I expect them to stay tight?  Thank as always!  (I know I can order from ump-attire and try out different sizes/widths, but I'd like to not have to order 4-5 shoes to try on!) :)

This is one issue with plate shoes. Due to the hard composite in the toe box, it will not stretch like a typical shoe. Most of our feedback is that New Balance does run true to size but you may just be in betweeen a D and a 2E (like me...for me it’s in my forefoot where I need the extra room).

When this happens on plate shoes, going up a width is the better alternative than going up a size. (Whereas that strategy can work with a turf or running shoe).

In your case, I would use the shoe in your possession to see if the length is good. If it is, 11-2E would be my recommendation. If not, your normal 10.5 size but in a 2E should be fine.

I will add that some get a little bent out of shape thinking “I don’t have wide feet”. In reality a 2E is only a pinch wider than a D. And a 4E a pinch wider than a 2E. That small difference can make all the difference especially in a plate shoe.

If I showed you how many umpires purchase 2E shoes to D, you might be surprised. Wide widths are popular and a necessary option for (some, not all) umpires. You will just be one of the many.

Hope that helps!

Edited by JimKirk
Edited to show wide widths are a needed option for some, not all umpires
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

If I showed you how many umpires purchase 2E shoes to D, you might be surprised. Wide widths are popular and necessary for umpires. You will just be one of the many.

Just bought a pair of the 460s after my old NBs gave out after 10 years. Went up a half-size and to the 2E in width, though I wear D in "normal" shoes. Haven't tried them on the field quite yet, but fit perfectly in trying them on.

If the "go to 2E - believe us" is so common, why not make that really obvious on your site? I can't imagine having returns helps your bottom line, so letting someone know up-front would benefit both you and the umpire - great-fitting shoes without worrying about returns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimKirk said:

This is one issue with plate shoes. Due to the hard composite in the toe box, it will not stretch like a typical shoe. Most of our feedback is that New Balance does run true to size but you may just be in betweeen a D and a 2E (like me...for me it’s in my forefoot where I need the extra room).

When this happens on plate shoes, going up a width is the better alternative than going up a size. (Whereas that strategy can work with a turf or running shoe).

In your case, I would use the shoe in your possession to see if the length is good. If it is, 11-2E would be my recommendation. If not, your normal 10.5 size but in a 2E should be fine.

I will add that some get a little bent out of shape thinking “I don’t have wide feet”. In reality a 2E is only a pinch wider than a D. And a 4E a pinch wider than a 2E. That small difference can make all the difference especially in a plate shoe.

If I showed you how many umpires purchase 2E shoes to D, you might be surprised. Wide widths are popular and necessary for umpires. You will just be one of the many.

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much Jim!  I have to go try them on again to double check the length, but I suspect I'll be ordering from you shortly!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Hope that helps!

Good comments.  I can't trust wearing a shoe that doesn't say 4E for width as most that say W or EW aren't really wider than a D width.

15 hours ago, yawetag said:

Just bought a pair of the 460s after my old NBs gave out after 10 years. Went up a half-size and to the 2E in width, though I wear D in "normal" shoes. Haven't tried them on the field quite yet, but fit perfectly in trying them on.

If the "go to 2E - believe us" is so common, why not make that really obvious on your site? I can't imagine having returns helps your bottom line, so letting someone know up-front would benefit both you and the umpire - great-fitting shoes without worrying about returns.

Well, I think you touched on something worth talking about.

My post above did not advocate sizing up or increasing the width as a general rule...only if you are in between widths....and that with plate shoes that when you do size up that going up a width may be a better strategy than going up a length size.

If we said “EVERYONE go up a width” we’d be off in MANY more cases. Talk about retuns then!

So please do not misinterpret what I was saying. I was mainly saying for this individual and others who may be in between widths to be ok if they did go up in width.

To clarify, most umpires wear D width. But there are more 2E wearers than you’d think (not actually more than D). And that wide widths are a necessary OPTION for umpires, as D alone won’t cover it for the whole community. In other words, I did not mean “wide widths are necessary for ALL in plate shoes”.

So I apologize if I was not clear.

The bottom line is shoes we offer are about as true to size as they can be. If they didn’t we wouldn’t have them (or have them for long).

One issue worth mentioning is that going up a width in any shoe - plate or base - MAY give you any space you might need in the toe box, but then in the heel the extra width MAY be TOO MUCH (your heel in that case would come up a bit when you run).

New Balance is good about keeping their sizing the same through generations of shoe models. In that way, once you figure out your size and width, you’ll know for sure what will work.

Regardless, thanks @yawetag for pointing out what needed clarification.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JimKirk said:

New Balance is good about keeping their sizing the same through generations of shoe models. In that way, once you figure out your size and width, you’ll know for sure what will work.

I would normally agree as an avid New Balance wearer. The unfortunate example of them NOT doing this for some reason, is in the new non umpire turf shoes. The 3000v4 and the 4040v4, as we all know, run thin... even in a 2E (since they dont offer a 4E for some reason). Currently I am waiting for my base shoe order from UA to arrive. But in the pile of shoes to try on, I have a pair of 13 2E 3000v4s (that I know fit)... I wear an 11.5 4E in every other style.

I dont understand the reasoning for the change and for not even attempting to offer it in a 4E?

We all found out that we needed to go 1/2 up on the original 450's. Common knowledge. 

My feet are slightly wide, so went with the 2E, and my "normal" size (10.5) on the V3's  They seem to have a tad extra room for hot days when my feet tend to expand a tad. Or maybe the plastic heats up, and give a little. 

If you have any doubt, do go with UA. That should be a no brainer. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kylejt said:

We all found out that we needed to go 1/2 up on the original 450's. Common knowledge.

And where my original question came from. New Balance plate shoes have always been "size up both directions".

Now I feel like I need to go check the size of my v3's. I could swear they are my normal New Balance size. But now I dont recall. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, yawetag said:

And where my original question came from. New Balance plate shoes have always been "size up both directions".

I know this post is a couple months old but its pertinent to me right now and don't want to start a new thread on the same subject.

I got the V3s to replace my original 450s but I kept wearing them and it's about time for my V3s to come back out to play (I've worn them just a couple times).  I remember the 450s being the "1/2 size up" but remember when the 460s came out that NB had tweaked their sizing so it was more 'normal'.

I went with an 11 2E on my V3s and they're just a touch too big (manageable) but I can feel it.   My thought is to go w/ a 10.5 2E ...but maybe the 11 D would work.  It sounds like I need to double-check my V3s for length, then determine.  @JimKirk ... agree?  If length is good, ... keep the 11, but go to a D?

On 5/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, Thunderheads said:

I know this post is a couple months old but its pertinent to me right now and don't want to start a new thread on the same subject.

I got the V3s to replace my original 450s but I kept wearing them and it's about time for my V3s to come back out to play (I've worn them just a couple times).  I remember the 450s being the "1/2 size up" but remember when the 460s came out that NB had tweaked their sizing so it was more 'normal'.

I went with an 11 2E on my V3s and they're just a touch too big (manageable) but I can feel it.   My thought is to go w/ a 10.5 2E ...but maybe the 11 D would work.  It sounds like I need to double-check my V3s for length, then determine.  @JimKirk ... agree?  If length is good, ... keep the 11, but go to a D?

That sounds worth trying for sure.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, JimKirk said:

That sounds worth trying for sure.

@JimKirk ... I did double check the length of my V3s and I think I can easily work with a 10.5, and based on how the 2Es feel in the 11, I'll stick with the 2E... that should do the trick

• Like 1

Hey all, ... hate to re-ignite an old thread, but rather than start another .....

Has anyone found that they went from a previous mid-cut model (450 or 460 v1 and 2) to the V3 low cut and experienced a fit difference or more important, a 'feel' difference in the fit (heel slip)?   I'm wondering if going from mid to low if you'd feel a difference in the heel-feel regardless of how well it fits everywhere else?

I hope this makes sense! :Facepalm:

[mention=969]Thunderheads[/mention] i did. I went down a full size in the lowcut From 10-9. Put on a pair of My mags, 10 are perfect.
Okay thanks but did you previously have New Balance mid cuts and this happened when you went to the low-cut?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I went from mid to low and the lows were bigger than the mid. Perhaps a full size larger.

1 minute ago, Kevin_K said:

I went from mid to low and the lows were bigger than the mid. Perhaps a full size larger.

thanks, how was your width?

I feel the same way about the sizing on the low cut. I wear 13 in everything daily. 

Wore 14 in zigs, ordered 14 in NB and felt like I was wearing Shaq’s shoes.  Ordered 13 and thought they were good but wore in a game, had heel slip and loose feeling, now up for sale (if anyone is interested) 

going to order a 12 and give those a run. 

10 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

I feel the same way about the sizing on the low cut. I wear 13 in everything daily. 

Wore 14 in zigs, ordered 14 in NB and felt like I was wearing Shaq’s shoes.  Ordered 13 and thought they were good but wore in a game, had heel slip and loose feeling, now up for sale (if anyone is interested) 

going to order a 12 and give those a run. 

How much?