New Ump - Naperville IL (Far Western Chgo Suburbs)

Rock Bottom
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1882 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi all!  I've been on reading this site for a year or two now, and last year did a small number of little league games just to help out when they were short their kid umps.  I've been coaching 15 years now, and this spring I won't be coaching for the first time since my oldest started t-ball.  I'm looking to start umping games to help pay for 3 kids in college, and I'm lining up working in a local "house" HS-age league, but I'm also considering doing other games.  This site is great and the only thing I don't like about it is that it makes you realize how much you don't know -- and how difficult umpiring, especially when you add in all the different rule sets, etc.

Does anyone know of a good umpire association in the Western Chgo burbs that has a bunch of games in/around Naperville?  I'm trying to limit driving since I have a lease car and long trips will eat up the game fee pretty quickly.  I'm familiar with Fox Valley Blues, but haven't been able to really find any other group in my Google searches, so any info provided would be much appreciated - thanks!!!

I got my chest protector for Xmas, a Schutt/Adams HD-XV, and I'm looking at getting New Balance 460V3 plate shoes, and the Force 3 shin guards.  At least for this first year I think I'll use my son's All-Star MVP2500 HSM, and I have a Nutty Buddy.  I have to figure out the uniform - seems like I see umps with 20 different colors of shirts, and I'll need a jacket for the March/April/(May) games when it's 40* at first pitch, and of course the pants.  

I think that's it - except my name is Mike, even though my user name is Rock Bottom - have a great year everyone!

Welcome Mike. I don't know how Illinois works with organizations, but you should be able to find any with a Google search. If you're looking for high school baseball, you can also check out the state high school association that governs all the schools (Illinois High School Sports or something similar).

3 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I have to figure out the uniform - seems like I see umps with 20 different colors of shirts, and I'll need a jacket for the March/April/(May) games when it's 40* at first pitch, and of course the pants.   

For this, I'd wait until you know what your organization(s) want you to have.

A quick tip on the jacket, and this was something I was told early in my career: dress for the weather at the last inning, not the weather in the first inning. You'll see this in early-evening games, as the temp will drop as the game goes on. You'll also see it in 10am or noon games, when the temp rises.

• Like 1