Cold weather and Team Wendy's pads

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1888 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings to my small ball brothers!

Yellow ball umpire here - I'm using a Wilson Ti that's been powder coated with some Team Wendy's pads.  Multiple people on the forum here recommended the pads and they've worked really well since last Fall when I purchased them.  I went to a scrimmage last night @ 40º F and the pads were hard as a brick.  Was worried about taking a shot to the mask for fear of getting my teeth caved in.

Is this a common issue with TW pads?  Do I need to get some Wilson pads till it warms up?

Thanks!

Yes, very common issue.

They'll warm up after a few innings against your face.  Or some keep them in the vehicle with them where their heater can help warm them up. 

My personal opinion, I use leather for HS ball and then switch to fabric options like TW when it is warmer (or possibly a day game).  

• Like 1

Almost all my Spring season is cold, and the TWs are hard.

Hasn't seemed to effect performance, and they warm up on my face. As the material was made for military helmets, and those deployments get cold I think, I'd be surprised if performance degraded in cold.

But then maybe it is sloth and I don't want to swap pads in season for temperature!

If you like the micro fiber covering the All Star LUC pads are like Goldilocks said. Just right. IMO they are not too hard (TW) and not too soft (Wilson).  The All Star also seem to be less affected by the temps. 

• Like 4

On 1/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, boyinr said:

If you like the micro fiber covering the All Star LUC pads are like Goldilocks said. Just right. IMO they are not too hard (TW) and not too soft (Wilson).  The All Star also seem to be less affected by the temps. 

100% concur

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rock Bottom said:

Speaking of the All-Star masks (or pads at least) and I hope this is only a minor threadjack, what's the difference between the FM25 and the FM2000UMP and the FM4000??  All the descriptions seem pretty much the same with the LUC pads and hollow steel bars.

@Rock Bottom I have owned two of the three masks that you listed, the FM25 and the FM4000.  I never really liked the looks of the FM2000 although all the All-Star masks offer good protection. The FM25 is the heaviest of the three and is very stout and will take a shot well. The FM4000 was my favorite and the lightest weight of the three at about 17ozs. It offers great protection and great vision. From side to side it has more curve to the frame than any other mask, this is done by design to help deflect ball and impact away from your head. The only bad thing is that most silver finished steel frame masks eventually dulls and will need to be powder coated sooner or later. For the money you can't beat it. By the way @Thunderheads has this mask for sale right now in the buy, sell, trade forum. He has already had it powder coated in a matt black finish and at $40 plus shipping its a steal. You can buy a new set of LUC pads for about $20-$25 dollars and still below most places new retail price.