High School Pitching Rules

Senor Azul
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1863 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

The following text is from an online article written by Jim Halley of USA TODAY High School Sports dated March 5, 2017.

“The National Federation of State High School Associations in July (2016) mandated that participating state associations enact pitch-count limits, and 44 state high school associations have since done so. Four states — Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Idaho — do not sanction baseball, so no limits were passed. Massachusetts and Connecticut do not follow NFHS rules.”

I would like to know if it is still true that four states do not sanction baseball and what exactly that means. I would also like to know if Massachusetts and Connecticut still do not follow NFHS rules.

17 answers to this question

False information, I moved to Connecticut in the Fall of 2006, started with the HS association in 2007 and we have ever have use the NFHS set of rules. So that reporter needs to do a better research before writing a piece. That's how the messes created by the press start.

4 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

False information, I moved to Connecticut in the Fall of 2006, started with the HS association in 2007 and we have ever have use the NFHS set of rules. 

??? ,..So you do use NFHS in CT?  

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I thought Florida doesnt follow NFHS rules?

I know the three states bordering the Pacific Ocean dont follow NFHS umpire mechanics.

I know Florida had at least a modified DH rule. I remember @JaxRolo talking about it. And SC still has the no appeal missed base out?  

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

And SC still has the no appeal missed base out?  

Recently moved to SC and haven't heard anything about this in our association meetings. We have state meetings in a couple of weeks, so I'll make sure to ask.

4 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Kansas follows NFHS to the letter... except we allow a 15-after-3 run rule, and there have been a couple of times I've been very thankful for this change.

I play against both MSHAA and KSHAA teams, so I to am glad for for those rules at times. I've been on both ends. 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, gnhbua93 said:

The modification that I would like to see is having the catcher to wear a hockey style mask.

Are you saying to allow the catcher to not wear the hockey style mask?  To allow the catcher to wear a 2-piece?

Your posts are very hard to understand.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, Richvee said:

And SC still has the no appeal missed base out?  

Had our state meeting yesterday and I was able to learn the nuances of SC baseball.

South Carolina does have a rule in which the umpire, after seeing a missed base, will let all continuing action finish, call "Time", and then announce the missing base and call the runner out. We do wait to see if the defense will complete their own live-ball appeal prior to calling it ourselves. SC also does not allow dead-ball appeals by the defense. Our association did add that we should be 100% sure the base was missed prior to making the call.

I don't know that I agree with the rule and the room seemed 50/50 split on their opinions, judging by the mumblings. However, when in Rome...

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, Senor Azul said:

The following text is from an online article written by Jim Halley of USA TODAY High School Sports dated March 5, 2017.

“The National Federation of State High School Associations in July (2016) mandated that participating state associations enact pitch-count limits, and 44 state high school associations have since done so. Four states — Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and Idaho — do not sanction baseball, so no limits were passed. Massachusetts and Connecticut do not follow NFHS rules.”

I would like to know if it is still true that four states do not sanction baseball and what exactly that means. I would also like to know if Massachusetts and Connecticut still do not follow NFHS rules.

As to the answer to the original question, everything I have seen in regards to the Pitch Count Rule state this under the "Pitch Count and Accountability and Reporting" section,
"Umpires will NOT have any kind of jurisdiction or involvement in pitch count."

Being that this is stated in Accountability and Reporting section of the NFHS Pitch Count Ruling, I took that to mean as an Umpire this has no bearing on anything that I do. It is not my responsibility to stop a pitcher from pitching or even report an infraction that I perceive to have occurred. 

Do you guys agree? 

4 hours ago, rusnew2 said:

Correct.  Umpires don't have any say in the "pitch count" rules unless we have to step in and verify their numbers in which we stick w/ the home teams count.  Pitch count has been in effect for a few years now and I've NEVER been involved in any of it, thankfully!

• Like 1