West Vest customization

NicNag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1873 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I did a custom stomach  extension that I think should give me some extra protection. I love the west vest but I’m 6’3” and this covers most of my belly.  The pad is a champ pro 6” extension I picked up from Epic Sports for a few dollars. I used velcro from Joann’s by cutting a slit just big enough to fit the chest protector velcro that holds the plastic on. It hold better than I could imagine.  I will see how it holds up in the weeks to come once the high school season starts. 

6449838B-6E1B-42CA-BB28-548134CF9D9C.jpeg

BC0B119E-E22F-4E22-BC8C-39DF50388B63.jpeg

0101F07F-A881-4609-BAA3-AAF210C98BC5.jpeg

• Like 2

For no other reason than primal curiosity, how many belly shots have you taken so that you have invested time and capital for a modification to what may arguably be the best selling, most widely used chest protector?

17 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

...for a modification to what may arguably be the best selling, most widely used chest protector?

From a company who near-as-can-tell refuses to modify, improve, progress said chest protector over the past 20 years, and is stealing umpire's money relying on this:

wilson-baseball--softball-equipment.jpg

... being seen in 85% of a televised baseball game broadcast.

Bravo on your mod, @NicNag... too bad that a WV Gold doesn't have you in mind when and how produced.

#ThinkBetter

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

For no other reason than primal curiosity, how many belly shots have you taken so that you have invested time and capital for a modification to what may arguably be the best selling, most widely used chest protector?

It is not a belly.  Proper terminology is Fat Muscle.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, catsbackr said:

I love the flag.  How did you remove the "W"?

I removed my W but forgot how.  I believe I used sandpaper..

I sandpapered mine and used Flat Black paint to paint it.

2 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

I removed my W but forgot how.  I believe I used sandpaper..

I sandpapered mine and used Flat Black paint to paint it.

Courtesy of @MadMax reply to my question about removing a logo from a sun visor last year... I would recommend trying on a small area to be safe first.  I know guys use acetone to remove the TW logo from pads also.

Acetone or Paint Thinner Removal Method
  1. Wear a pair of chemical-resistant rubber gloves. ...
  2. Dampen an old rag in the acetone or paint thinner. ...
  3. Place the damp rag over the silk screen logo and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
  4. Rub the logo with the damp rag. ...
  5. Wash the item with mild dish soap in lukewarm water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+remove+silk+screen+from+polycarbonate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

On 1/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, MadMax said:

From a company who near-as-can-tell refuses to modify, improve, progress said chest protector over the past 20 years, and is stealing umpire's money relying on this:

wilson-baseball--softball-equipment.jpg

... being seen in 85% of a televised baseball game broadcast.

Bravo on your mod, @NicNag... too bad that a WV Gold doesn't have you in mind when and how produced.

#ThinkBetter

Agreed, Im 6'6 and weight 170 on a good day. I do not come close to fitting in the gold. I did the modification to mine similar to @NicNag and I still wasn't a fan. I'll keep my 17 in Champro 2xx. 

Nice Mod,

I did a similar thing with my Platinum a couple of years back, before I switched to a Schutt XV. Used a Diamond Ix3 extension with velcro. it worked fine, but damn those things are hot and sweaty! I had gotten tagged and bruised with a shot, and put the mod on the next day. I would post a pic, but I traded it away a year and a half ago after i wasn't using it anymore, preferring the Schutt XV and my backup Champion P200 most times over the big ole Platinum.

i just bought a second Schutt Adams XV from @wolfe_man that he modified the gap plate a little on, so my Champion will probably be traded away by seasons end, if i can get it to smell halfway presentable!

• Like 1