Catchers

Guest Billy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1920 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

10 answers to this question

Would probably need more information on this. Such as what is happening that F1 would want to throw elsewhere.

If you are asking about making a play on a runner. Such as the pickoff play (seen mostly in youth ball) with R2 where the Centerfielder comes in to take a pickoff at 2nd. Yes that would be legal.

2018 NFHS rule 6

SECTION 2 INFRACTIONS BY PITCHER

ART. 2 . . . Delay of the game includes:

a.    throwing to any player other than the catcher, when the batter is in the batter’s box, unless it is an attempt to retire a runner;

PENALTY: The pitcher shall be ejected from the game after a warning.

NCAA:  If the pitcher unnecessarily delays (9-3c), the umpire shall call a balk.

OBR:  Same as NCAA. (6.02a-8)

2018 OBR rule 6.02 Pitcher Illegal Action

(a) Balks

If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when:

(8) The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;

Rule 6.02(a)(8) Comment: Rule 6.02(a)(8) shall not apply when a warning is given pursuant to Rule 6.02(c)(8) (which prohibits intentional delay of a game by throwing to fielders not in an attempt to put a runner out). If a pitcher is ejected pursuant to Rule 6.02(c)(8) for continuing to delay the game, the penalty in Rule 6.02(a)(8) shall also apply. Rule 5.07(c) (which sets a time limit for a pitcher to deliver the ball when the bases are unoccupied) applies only when there are no runners on base.

6.02(c)(8) The pitcher shall not:  (8) Intentionally delay the game by throwing the ball to players other than the catcher, when the batter is in position, except in an attempt to retire a runner.

PENALTY: If, after warning by the umpire, such delaying action is repeated, the pitcher shall be removed from the game.

Not for "whatever reason".  

The pitcher can only "pitch" to the catcher (technically, he's pitching to the batter).

The pitcher may throw to any fielder when making a play on a runner (more accurately, he's throwing to the "base" - it doesn't really matter which fielder is there to receive the throw)

3 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I hate that we are finding ourselves answering this, guessing what the OP was trying to get at. 

Sadly, I dont think we will ever get clarification on what his real question was.

To the point where one possible answer is "if the ball is live and there is an active play (hit ball, steal attempt, etc) and there are runners/batters on the bases the pitcher can throw the ball to whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants, like any other fielder".    Sadly, I can see a scenario where, in some convoluted rundown where F1 ends up throwing to F7, someone claims that the pitcher isn't allowed to throw the ball to an outfielder.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, beerguy55 said:

To the point where one possible answer is "if the ball is live and there is an active play (hit ball, steal attempt, etc) and there are runners/batters on the bases the pitcher can throw the ball to whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants, like any other fielder".    Sadly, I can see a scenario where, in some convoluted rundown where F1 ends up throwing to F7, someone claims that the pitcher isn't allowed to throw the ball to an outfielder.

I was thinking of a variation of the "Miami play" in which F1 airmails the ball over second on a direct line to F8.  F8 (rather than F1) then maks the next throw to retire R2 who, thinking the ball was overthrown has started to advance to third.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

I was thinking of a variation of the "Miami play" in which F1 airmails the ball over second on a direct line to F8.  F8 (rather than F1) then maks the next throw to retire R2 who, thinking the ball was overthrown has started to advance to third.

We tried that a few times back in Little League - I don't recall it ever working.  Either R2 doesn't bite, or he's really fast, or F1 also airmails past F8 and R2 scores, or F8 makes a crap throw to F5.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 1:00 PM, beerguy55 said:

We tried that a few times back in Little League - I don't recall it ever working.  Either R2 doesn't bite, or he's really fast, or F1 also airmails past F8 and R2 scores, or F8 makes a crap throw to F5.

In other words, why make 2 or 3 throws when 1 will probably do?

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, beerguy55 said:

I was NOT recommending it as a tactic.  But, you tried it "a few times" and somewhere along the line, I'm sure some rookie umpire, or rookie coach, or team Dad wondered whether it was legal.