Oldies but Goodies Part 2

Senor Azul
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1928 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Another oldie but goodie—can a runner lead off in the wrong direction? This question originally appeared in the Rules forum in July of 2014--

He said that during one of his teams games (U10), his runner successfully stole second, but at the next pitch he took a lead off of second towards first. He said that he knew the pitcher and was trying to mess him up. I said that I can't think of an exact rule, and I later checked, saying that he couldn't do it, but he would have to make sure he touched second to go to third, and that he is not on a base so he is eligible to be put out. I also said that, had I been the BU, that I would just tell him to get back on the base because to me, that's unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Getting a running start on a pitch is spelled out in the NCAA rules as being illegal—

2017-18 NCAA rule 8 When Runners Are Out on Appeals

SECTION 6.   a. A runner shall be called out on specific appeals that occur as a result of a base running error when:

2) The runner starts from a position behind the base in order to get a running start, whether on a pitch or tagging up for a fly ball; or

It is also illegal in FED. The following text is from the 2016 BRD:  “A runner may not get a running start from behind the base either before or at TOP. PENALTY:  The runner is called out immediately, and the ball remains alive. (8-4-2o)”

2018 NFHS rule 8-4

ART. 2 . . . Any runner is out when he:

o. positions himself behind a base to get a running start; or

• Like 1