F3 throat guard?

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1840 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

That throat guard is meh... I would rather it not have the built in logo.

I tend to agree.  While neat, it limits what mask you will most likely wear it with, which could be by design I suppose.  Though, I prefer to avoid logos when I can on my umpire uniform. 

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I tend to agree.  While neat, it limits what mask you will most likely wear it with, which could be by design I suppose.  Though, I prefer to avoid logos when I can on my umpire uniform. 

It also prevents the MLB guys that use that mask from wearing it... Maybe they are hoping for the greater exposure from NCAA umpires

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I would rather it not have the built in logo.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

While neat, it limits what mask you will most likely wear it with, which could be by design I suppose. 

How is that any different than that stupid gold or white W stuck on every mask pad chin tab, throat guard, or at the top of “every” CP you see? I’m all for it! Brand away! All-Star’s cage layout has become wholly iconic, which they carried into their TG. We (at least some of us) go gooey over SSK and Mizuno guards – why? Because they look unique and progressive, rather than the plastic shoehorn all the other companies churn out on the cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Umpire gear is mired in the age of antiquity because of how cheap these companies operate.

When you think about it, though, in regards to this Force3 TG prototype, this might be one of the first – or at least select few – TGs made for umpires. Are high school catchers wearing throat guards? No, most of them wear (by rule) the HSM. Are college catchers wearing throat guards? Typically not, because TGs get in the way of your face when you prop your TM (or HSM, for that matter) atop your head. Point out one MLB catcher that wears a TG. I won’t hold my breath, because you won’t be able to find one. So who does that leave, but us umpires?

The more exposure that Force3 can get, the better, because that company is one of the minute few actually progressing and producing gear for us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Why would the first baseman wear that? :) Feel free to edit so my post will not make sense and I'll delete it.

6 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I see what you did there! :clap:

Honestly... I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Besides (unlike a wallet) when asked which throat protector is yours...............

Now, this comment stirs up a creative thought.  If I had the ability to custom-make a throat guard for each umpire.  Like above, instead of F3 it would have your initials!

• Like 1

Man, that's fugly. And the rig, as a whole, is just gaudy.

I wonder if they have solution to keep it from CLANKING!

I love the thought and innovation that's going into their efforts, though. Hat's off to them for trying to give us better protection.

I'm just waiting for a solution that's effective, and elegant.

• Like 2