Pitch from the windup without winding up

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1925 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Sometime in the past there was an NCAA interp that did not allow a pitcher to just rear back and throw without winding up. But a current interp from Randy Bruns in the NCAA spreadsheet appears to allow it now as long as you don't judge a QP. I think the difference is that the old interp was during the period where NCAA had no foot position limits and a sideways pitcher was legal to windup but would just throw without winding up to catch the batter off guard.

"Can a pitcher in a legal pitching position step forward without taking a step back or to the side and deliver a pitch?

Yes provided the meet all the requirements of a legal pitching position. This has not changed from last year. The Batter, Catcher and Umpire would all have to be ready. The pitcher can not step forward, then backward in the windup movement. The Rule currently states the pitcher can step back or sideways, and then forward with his free foot (only one step forward)"

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jimurray said:

Sometime in the past there was an NCAA interp that did not allow a pitcher to just rear back and throw without winding up. But a current interp from Randy Bruns in the NCAA spreadsheet appears to allow it now as long as you don't judge a QP. I think the difference is that the old interp was during the period where NCAA had no foot position limits and a sideways pitcher was legal to windup but would just throw without winding up to catch the batter off guard.

"Can a pitcher in a legal pitching position step forward without taking a step back or to the side and deliver a pitch?

Yes provided the meet all the requirements of a legal pitching position. This has not changed from last year. The Batter, Catcher and Umpire would all have to be ready. The pitcher can not step forward, then backward in the windup movement. The Rule currently states the pitcher can step back or sideways, and then forward with his free foot (only one step forward)"

From what I have read, it is my understanding that so long as they are in a legal pitching position, this is legal. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

Rule reads that they "may" do this, not "shall" there is the difference. 

The rule read that way in 2015 also. But back in 2015 when a legal windup position could have looked like the set NCAA did not like it if the pitcher reared back and threw from that position:

"12. 9-2a—“Make an illegal pitch or quick pitch with the bases unoccupied.” PENALTY: Warn the pitcher and, unless the batter reaches first base, call a ball. COMMENT: The pitcher is standing in the set or “stretch” ( MY comment: It was legal per NCAA rules to windup from that foot position then) with ball in the meat hand, which is on his hip. There are no runners on base. This is not the pitcher’s normal pitching motion from this position but one that is used, usually in relief with a count of 0-2 or 1-2. It is used in an attempt to surprise the batter. From this position, without any type of preliminary body movement, the pitcher pushes off the rubber and throws to the batter. INTERPRETATION: It is a form of a quick pitch and should be ruled an illegal pitch which carries the above penalty."

So it is understandable that now when they have restricted the windup foot position and  you would not see a sideways windup pitcher that they would now allow a "rear back and throw" as long as the batter was set. But given my experience and exposure to college pitchers there sure are going to be a lot of canted pitchers that are going to be have to be "squared up". A D2 pitching coach I called for in fall ball did not know anything about the rule change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimurray said:

The rule read that way in 2015 also. But back in 2015 when a legal windup position could have looked like the set NCAA did not like it if the pitcher reared back and threw from that position:

"12. 9-2a—“Make an illegal pitch or quick pitch with the bases unoccupied.” PENALTY: Warn the pitcher and, unless the batter reaches first base, call a ball. COMMENT: The pitcher is standing in the set or “stretch” ( MY comment: It was legal per NCAA rules to windup from that foot position then) with ball in the meat hand, which is on his hip. There are no runners on base. This is not the pitcher’s normal pitching motion from this position but one that is used, usually in relief with a count of 0-2 or 1-2. It is used in an attempt to surprise the batter. From this position, without any type of preliminary body movement, the pitcher pushes off the rubber and throws to the batter. INTERPRETATION: It is a form of a quick pitch and should be ruled an illegal pitch which carries the above penalty."

So it is understandable that now when they have restricted the windup foot position and  you would not see a sideways windup pitcher that they would now allow a "rear back and throw" as long as the batter was set. But given my experience and exposure to college pitchers there sure are going to be a lot of canted pitchers that are going to be have to be "squared up". A D2 pitching coach I called for in fall ball did not know anything about the rule change.

I feel like the first couple of weeks will be very interesting