Future Nike Apparel?!

sd181612
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1908 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Shirts? Meh. At this point, I could take 'em or leave 'em. I'm just convinced that the more modern they get, the harder the eastern states will cling to the navy with red & white trim stripes shirt as the "official shirt" of their high school / American Legion / Little League / whatever associations. And Nike putting the swoosh on the chest will just fuel their anti-corporate, anti-marketing contempt.

Pants? As in, athletic slacks made of Dri-FIT in ready-to-wear styles and sizes? Engineered to not fade (as rapidly), and not costing $80 per unit? Yes please.

• Like 5

I think the jacket and logo is legit.  The pic is of a jacket laying flat, which will naturally have wrinkles that could distort the logo.  Now, does this mean that Nike is making MLB umpire gear?  :shrug::question1:

I have seen other Nike MLB team gear.

nike mlb.jpg

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I have seen other Nike MLB team gear.

53 minutes ago, Razzer said:

This is not an MLB Umpire product.

Ray is usually has a finger on the pulse of MLB Umpire gear, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Nike has a supplier's contract with Major League Baseball for select fan apparel, undershirts, staff shirts (polos, half-zips, etc.), hoodies, staff wear, and staff footwear. They share the footwear mantle with New Balance, who (of course) has it for staff footwear, as well as MLB Umpires footwear and supplemental shirts (undershirts, polos, etc.).

Majestic still has the contract for on-field jerseys, shirts and jackets for both players and umpires. All the hoodies worn by the players / staff during the postseason were Majestic.

New Era, '47, Nike and UnderArmour share (not equally, but do) the contract for hats.

I would venture a guess that the Nike 1/4-zip pictured above isn't an Umpire article, as Ray points out. Instead, it might have been supplied to MLB Support Staff, such as the Video Replay techs, or the coordinators, or the Umpire handlers, or anything else that is in Operations on behalf of MLB, not the individual franchise team and/or the ballpark.

There are alot of people involved in putting on a baseball game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I thought Nike still had another season or two before they take over?

Could this maybe be a prototype based on a current design? 

I thought Nike didn't end up getting the contract.  I remember another post on this Nike MLB discussion.

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I thought Nike didn't end up getting the contract.  I remember another post on this Nike MLB discussion.

As far as I remember they still have it. Originally Under Amour had it. But couldn't fulfill the requirements by the 2020 deadline. So Nike bought it from them.

But I can never remember if if Nike is taking over 2019 or 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, BT_Blue said:

As far as I remember they still have it. Originally Under Amour had it. But couldn't fulfill the requirements by the 2020 deadline. So Nike bought it from them.

But I can never remember if if Nike is taking over 2019 or 2020.

Hurray :), more shirts for guys like us to buy right?!?!!?

• 3 weeks later...

I hate those short sleeved dentist smocks. No practical reason for them. Just wear a long sleeved jersey on the bases. (oh, I know that's heresy for some "purist", as they don't do that in the MLB, Get over it.). 

It would be good to get some new, modern ideas in our uniforms. I mean, how long did we have to endure wool pants, for gosh sakes?

Majestic never really logoed their umpire gear that much, which made zero sense, being a marketing major. Expect whoever is next up to correct that, and put a bold logo on every piece of visible gear. That just makes $en$e. 

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

I hate those short sleeved dentist smocks. No practical reason for them. Just wear a long sleeved jersey on the bases. (oh, I know that's heresy for some "purist", as they don't do that in the MLB, Get over it.). 

It would be good to get some new, modern ideas in our uniforms. I mean, how long did we have to endure wool pants, for gosh sakes?

Majestic never really logoed their umpire gear that much, which made zero sense, being a marketing major. Expect whoever is next up to correct that, and put a bold logo on every piece of visible gear. That just makes $en$e. 

Put the logo on it and make it easily accessible to everyone. You’re already making it - just run more of it. If you do it right, you should be able to capture a huge part of the market. 

4 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

Put the logo on it and make it easily accessible to everyone. You’re already making it - just run more of it. If you do it right, you should be able to capture a huge part of the market. 

MLB have restrictions that must be adhered to and negotiated

It will be visible but small

The size of the logo will be directly proportional the amount of $upport directed to the MLB. The trouble is that it doesn't trickle down directly to the umpires. They just get free stuff, and don't get a piece of the promotional pie for being the billboard for a full 9 innings. 

And, I wonder what Nike will think about the New Balance shoes being worn with their Nike gear. One would think they'd have shoes in the works, too. It's true that players can negotiate their own shoe and equipment gear, but the umpires get told what to wear. That'll be interesting to see how that plays out. 

When I was bike racing, and doing triathlons (years ago), I had small support from Nike, Power Bar, etc. I got some free stuff up front, and then every time I could get my mugg and the logo in print or TV, I got cases of stuff. Umpires can show the logo for 2-3 hours on national television. That should equate the dollars in the collective pockets, one would think. 

3 hours ago, kylejt said:

The size of the logo will be directly proportional the amount of $upport directed to the MLB. The trouble is that it doesn't trickle down directly to the umpires. They just get free stuff, and don't get a piece of the promotional pie for being the billboard for a full 9 innings. 

And, I wonder what Nike will think about the New Balance shoes being worn with their Nike gear. One would think they'd have shoes in the works, too. It's true that players can negotiate their own shoe and equipment gear, but the umpires get told what to wear. That'll be interesting to see how that plays out. 

When I was bike racing, and doing triathlons (years ago), I had small support from Nike, Power Bar, etc. I got some free stuff up front, and then every time I could get my mugg and the logo in print or TV, I got cases of stuff. Umpires can show the logo for 2-3 hours on national television. That should equate the dollars in the collective pockets, one would think. 

Doesn't the Union do their shoe and equipment deals?

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Doesn't the Union do their shoe and equipment deals?

If they do, they're falling short on the potential earning power of being on television, and marketing logos. And I'm not talking about those walking billboards, like in other countries.  But for gosh sake, someone needs to get them a square deal. 

Was Joe West in charge of the union AND getting a gear deal? Just askin'. 

20 hours ago, kylejt said:

If they do, they're falling short on the potential earning power of being on television, and marketing logos. And I'm not talking about those walking billboards, like in other countries.  But for gosh sake, someone needs to get them a square deal. 

Was Joe West in charge of the union AND getting a gear deal? Just askin'. 

Write a letter to the union and offer your services as an advisor.