New Diamond CP

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1998 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have one of these on the way...we shall see.  Not having Velcro attached plates is definitely NOT a dealbreaker.  I have used the Gold and the Champion for the past 6 years.  Honestly, I have NEVER removed the pads for cleaning.  I will review the Diamond when it arrives.  

1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

I have one of these on the way...we shall see.  Not having Velcro attached plates is definitely NOT a dealbreaker.  I have used the Gold and the Champion for the past 6 years.  Honestly, I have NEVER removed the pads for cleaning.  I will review the Diamond when it arrives.  

You and @tpatience both are getting them. Look forward to seeing the reviews.

3 hours ago, grk17 said:

So the patent protection has expired then. So doesn’t that mean that any company can now produce chest protectors that use Velcro tabs? 

I am assuming if things are like medicines we read about, that come off patent protection after 20 years, (with a few legal side deals with generics  for a short extension) the generics are allowed to muscle in for utility patents.

I think design patents have a 14 year protection clause. But, I do not know how anything technically and legally works, nor do i know about licensing agreements, or trademarks.

Sorry, but my sign on, is true to form.

Grey piping is sharp around the padding and of higher quality than that of the Gold/Platinum.  The CP is really really good.  No need to use the extension.  Its too long, i don't ever get hit there in the proper 45 degree stance, and it does NOT look good under the shirt.  It is basically the Platinum minus the foam throat area extension.  The harness is quality as it has elastic on the shoulder straps as well.  It is a STEAL at $100.  

No need to use the extension.  Its too long, i don't ever get hit there in the proper 45 degree stance, and it does NOT look good under the shirt.

@BT_Blue, @acpar72 means the extension (tummy guard) doesn't look good under the shirt. With that hard plating backed by 1" sofa cushion foam, of course it's going to look odd. 

It is basically the Platinum minus the foam throat area extension.

"foam throat area extension"? You're giving it more credibility than it's worth. That billow pad is stupid and purposeless.

@tpatience, with the seams laid out like that, does it achieve a better cylindrical fit (ie. wrap around you) than the Platinum? It looks like it would suit a narrower, slimmer build.

8 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@BT_Blue, @acpar72 means the extension (tummy guard) doesn't look good under the shirt. With that hard plating backed by 1" sofa cushion foam, of course it's going to look odd.

Ah ok. That makes sense.

@acpar72, would you still consider it a steal once it goes back to the normal retail price?

15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

"foam throat area extension"? You're giving it more credibility than it's worth. That billow pad is stupid and purposeless.

@tpatience, with the seams laid out like that, does it achieve a better cylindrical fit (ie. wrap around you) than the Platinum? It looks like it would suit a narrower, slimmer build.

From just trying it on, it wraps a lot more than a platinum

• Like 3

better than the platinum overall.  A better fit, better harness, extensions available and more affordable.  People will like this, come to swear by it, and turn from what they were using.  Others will have to look very very diligently to come up with a complaint.  If you currently have a Gold or Platinum heres my advice.  Keep them if youre not looking for a new CP.  If you are shopping and love the Gold, get another Gold.  If you love the Platinum, get the Diamond.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

I used my Schutt HDX for fall ball and the one thing that really stood out to me was that when I took off my CP, my shirt wasn't drenched in sweat. Seemingly, I had more energy as well. 

How would you expect these to be during the summer? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mister B said:

I used my Schutt HDX for fall ball and the one thing that really stood out to me was that when I took off my CP, my shirt wasn't drenched in sweat. Seemingly, I had more energy as well. 

I think it would depend on  conditions where you are at. My first CP was the platinum and it just didn't fit my body. In Tennessee in the summer with 95+ degree days and over 90% humidity, the platinum was miserably hot. The Douglas is a great fit for me, and with its thinner padding its still very hot. I wear it during the fall and thru spring, but when the extreme heat hits I switch to my Champion. If I continue next season, I will probably p/u the Schutt to help with the heat. 

51 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Any Wilson CP I've used (Charcoal, Gold and Platinum) are all very hot in the summer.   The same goes for all CP's I've owned including Champion and Douglas.  This is not a weight issue, but a sofa foam issue. Sofa foam is designed to be sat on to provide softness.  It is simply there to provide a cushion to sit on.  It is cheap and semi-light, so it makes a good lining for a CP protector.   The ball impacts the hard plates and then the foam provides a cushioning effect so we don't feel the ball impact the skin/muscle and bones of our chest.  It works as designed, but it is not cool.  Worse, it acts like a big sponge and holds in heat and water (sweat).  It doesn't get a chance to dry or cool down until you remove it at the end of your game.

On the other end of the spectrum is the best CP for heat that I've ever had.  That is the Adams/Schutt with its lighter and thinner D3O foam.   It is definitely much cooler and lighter to wear than most CP's.  It still stands up to any impact that I've had at this point with the same rigid plates that Wilson/Douglas/Champion/All Star would.  By that I mean no pain or uncomfortableness from any shots I've taken - to the contrary, they are seldom felt beyond knowing it hit you.   The D3O foam is like swiss cheese with all of its holes.  Each one of those holes allows your chest to breathe and allows air to get in and begin drying your body off. By allowing water (sweat) to evaporate while you wear it, it feels like every breeze turns on a little air conditioner inside your CP! 

Note: I had an All Star but didn't care for the fit, so I sold it before I used it in hot weather.  I'm told it breathes well also, but I doubt it would out-perform the Schutt/Adams.  I know the chimney should allow heat to escape out the top of the front of the CP,  but that's right where your neck and chin are so I'm doubtful it really makes a huge difference.

My final two cents: if I could get/create a D3O-lined Wilson Gold, then that'd be my CP of choice forever.  I really love the looks and protection of the Gold, but that sofa foam is hot and the thick pads make me look even larger than I already am (5'11", 235 ).  My shirts fit fairly well with the Schutt/Adams and most other CPs, but with the Gold it's a struggle to get it over my CP.  D3O would help to thin it out and offer a more streamlined appearance and the holes would allow greater comfort. I would also drill some holes into the plastic plates to help with breath-ability if I could design such a CP.

Sorry so wordy.  Hard to explain in a brief manner.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MadMax said:

So, being as I'm not the Big and Tall build, more of the short and chunky, this chest protector  wouldn't be for me?  

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 10:44 PM, tpatience said:

From just trying it on, it wraps a lot more than a platinum

20 hours ago, umpstu said:

So, being as I'm not the Big and Tall build, more of the short and chunky, this chest protector  wouldn't be for me?  

same thing to be honest. It looked really solid on Trevor in the photo he sent me. But my body type is more @umpstu and less @tpatience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2018 at 12:17 PM, BT_Blue said:

Wow! I read it ads 13.5 and 16. 18 is insanely long!

18 seems long. Then again I get made fun of for having the longest WV Gold ever seen. I still love my Champion P2xx. That is at 17 inches. I don't think that it's really too long. It's nice to have some lower protection. Took one to my WV Pad in an NAIA game. Hurt a lot. Then again I need a 17 in because I am so awkwardly made. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 7:00 PM, umpstu said:

I wouldn't say that... I just need to point out that some CPs – the WestVest Platinum and even my preferred Schutt XV – tend to be broad across the chest. They become a flat wall where a more cylindrical shape could have its advantages. By segmenting the plates, the CP achieves that cylindrical, wrapping shape for those with slimmer builds. If you're a larger build, where the effect is lost, it's of no consequence. Where you'll really like the fit is at the top of the chest, where that stupid, unnecessary billow pad has been eliminated.

This CP will be the exact same as the Douglas and Wilson in terms of heat in the summer.  I cant tell you they have ever been too hot for me as I am in shape.  My favorite CP (the Champion) with the cloth like material covering the foam tends to stay wet unless aired out.  The Wilson/Douglas and now the Diamond are all much faster in drying and I appreciate that in the summer months.