You Make The Call

stkjock
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1766 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 hours ago, stkjock said:

Friend sent me this video of a play at the plate his son's team was involved in. 16U under Fed as I understand it.

Do you have a question? I can't tell what PU called: it appears he signaled safe, then time, then wandered out to BU after words with the coach.

Pretty obviously OBS, but the mechanics (other than setting up at 3BLX) need some work.

• Like 1

The question is the call at the plate. 

I didn’t thnk obvious OBS as F2 is in the act of fielding the ball when taken into the base path and he is in possession of the ball prior to R3 reaching him.  In real time, bang - bang play and hard to fault a call either way IMO. 

46 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I didn’t thnk obvious OBS as F2 is in the act of fielding the ball when taken into the base path and he is in possession of the ball prior to R3 reaching him.  In real time, bang - bang play and hard to fault a call either way IMO. 

#1- There is no "in the act of fielding" in FED.

I've got OBS all day. F2 set up right in the path and was waiting there for the ball to arrive.

• Like 3

2008 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 13: Without the ball in possession, the catcher sets up in the base path, but does allow access to part of home plate. As the ball and the runner converge at home simultaneously, the runner contacts the catcher. RULING: As long as the umpire judges that the catcher provided access to the plate for the runner, this is not obstruction. With the play in motion and the timing such that it is about to occur, a fielder may be in the base path without the ball, provided he allows the runner access to the base or home plate. (2-22-3)

2018 FED Case Book Play 8.3.2 Situation C:  F2 is in the path between third base and home plate while waiting to receive a thrown ball. R3 advances from third and runs into the catcher, after which R3 is tagged out. Ruling:  Obstruction. F2 cannot be in the base path without the ball in his possession, nor can he be in the base path waiting for a ball to arrive without giving the runner some access to home plate.

• Thanks 1

The other thing that I didn't like was PU allowing DHC to shop for a call with his partner. If the call was safe/obstruction, I can't see a reason to confer with his partner.

That said, it is an uncommon play/call. If he went out to take a second to collect his thought, confirm what he had, then that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. And the conference and subsequent discussion with DHC didn't take too long.  

On 10/15/2018 at 6:58 PM, stkjock said:

F2 is "technically" in possession of the ball prior to R3 getting there - if by "getting there" you mean the instant they collide.   However, R3 has started sliding, and is attempting to get to a plate to which he has no access, well before F2 has the ball.

• 3 months later...

i'M LATE TO THIS PARTY.... this looks like the venue i work at during spring/summer/fall tourneys.. MOST of the tourneys held there are run under OBR (MLB) rules, with a few exceptions, including the FED "slide or avoid" rule at any base (mainly, take out slides at second, FED applies) and FED fake to third is legal. This OBS (or lack there of) would be interpreted under OBR not FED for this tourney, most likely. That being said, my judgement at speed and after review would have been definitely OBS under FED rules, and, although not as obvious, I would have had OBS at speed under OBR as well, being that the catcher hopped into the baseline early even though he was receiving a throw from the right side, and had a chance to catch it clean and move into the baseline with the ball in plenty of time to apply the tag. 

• 1 month later...

What about the left foot of the catcher? It seems pretty obvious that he kicked at R3 in attempt to obstruct the runner's path to the plate. I don't think this would qualify, but it does bring up something worth considering - how severe does a kick like that from F2 have to be to qualify for MC? 

I don't see a kick, but a repositioning of his legs for the block of the plate. It just so happened the runner was there when he did it.

To call MC on something like this, it would need to be an obvious kick at the player.

OBS in FED and NCAA. When the runner  entered the dirt circle,  the fielder has blocked access to the plate without the ball. All in the span of 1 second. That how fast these things happen. Great video. Too bad the PU didn't sell the $hit out of that call. That's a must in any situation like this. That's the difference between a good umpire and a great umpire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Prior to the next batter, I try to be a little preemptive. I will remind the catcher to give room to the baserunner when they're in scoring position.  It seems to help.

Look how early the catcher makes R3 slide.  Absolutely obstruction.  On the mechanics:

1.  You need to get into position to view R3's tag.  Move towards the 3B dugout as far as the play will allow, and then get back to the plate for the play there.
2.  When you see the obstruction, point and call, "that's obstruction!"
3.  As soon as action has relaxed (which is basically just after the tag occurs), call time and reinforce your obstruction call, "That's obstruction!" then point at R3 and declare, "You, score!"  No need to award R2 third base since he's already there but you can if you want.
4.  If the coach wants to discuss your call, then have him come to you in the dirt circle (as Bruce Froemming says, this is your office.  Conduct your business there).
5.  Don't go to your partner unless you feel he has information you are missing to make your call (including misinterpreting a rule, I suppose).

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.27.41 AM.png

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 7:16 AM, Scott lande said:

I was the umpire at the game.

as for the feedback on the mechanics. After looking at the video I agree100% 

thanks for the input

You got the call right!  Good job!!  Did you see the obstruction right away? If so, call it aggressively and emphatically!  

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, grayhawk said:

Look how early the catcher makes R3 slide.  Absolutely obstruction.  On the mechanics:

1.  You need to get into position to view R3's tag.  Move towards the 3B dugout as far as the play will allow, and then get back to the plate for the play there.
2.  When you see the obstruction, point and call, "that's obstruction!"
3.  As soon as action has relaxed (which is basically just after the tag occurs), call time and reinforce your obstruction call, "That's obstruction!" then point at R3 and declare, "You, score!"  No need to award R2 third base since he's already there but you can if you want.
4.  If the coach wants to discuss your call, then have him come to you in the dirt circle (as Bruce Froemming says, this is your office.  Conduct your business there).
5.  Don't go to your partner unless you feel he has information you are missing to make your call (including misinterpreting a rule, I suppose).

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.27.41 AM.png

Sound advice all around!! Question though, advancing R2 to 3rd? Please explain. Also, get as close to the 3b dugout? To view the touch at 3rd?