Schutt Scorpion leg guards

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2022 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I opened a topic earlier about a new CP.  I decided to go with the Schutt/Adams.  My next question is about the Schutt Scorpion leg guards.  They look good, but I can't find any sites that have reviews. I also can't seem to find any pics that show the pads on the inside. Has anyone used these?  I am brand new to the college level.  Just attended MAU clinic. Just got assigned my first college game, fall ball.  So I need college level equipment.  I have read good stuff about the champion leg guards, but they look extremely big and bulky.  What does everyone think about wearing good quality catchers shin guards?  I have done that the last few years at the high school level and have been fine.  I"m talking about college now though.  I found a good deal on some Mizuno Samurai shin guards that look adequate.    I'm not into spending an arm and a leg on my equipment.  I like to stay under a hundred.  I might drop over that on a mask, but I'm pretty frugal otherwise.  

Schutt Air Maxx Scorpion Double Knee Catchers Leg Guards                                               Image result for champion sports double knee umpire shin guards                                        Mizuno Samurai Catchers Gear

You’re not going to find any reviews about the Schutt Scorpions, @redroofwoodworker, because the Schutt Scorpions are catchers shinguards. And if they aren’t one of the marquee brands – Nike, All-Star, UnderArmour, Mizuno, Rawlings, or Wilson – they usually don’t compel any catchers to write reviews of them.

Baseball players don’t write reviews, nor really read and research them to make buying decisions. Baseball players watch higher-level players (college and/or professionals), observe what they use, and either purchase those items so they look just like that model player, or get supplied that gear by a sponsor. 

Best example – Wilson catchers shinguards. Yes, I lump them into the “marquee brands”, but when you hear the feedback from actual college catchers using them, they are loathsome and awful. Too flimsy, prone to breaking, inadequately padded in the knees, and more difficult to run in than All-Stars. So why do these college catchers use them? Because their university team is supplied them by Wilson.

Baseball umpires are the same way.

Now, to our credit, there are some of us who actually read reviews and investigate product descriptions prior to purchase. We have to read the Rulebook, do we not (or at least, we should be)? However, for the most part, there exists those umpires who watch those higher level guys (college and/or professional, again), observe what they use, and purchase exactly what they do. Or, worse yet, they get strongarmed into purchasing certain brands or suites of gear simply because their association forces it upon them, mafia-style.

With that said, though, I question why you’re looking at catchers models of shinguards. A part of me is guessing that you think that they have the type of padding and coverage to withstand college+ speeds... and you’d be right... for catchers... who are in a crouch... and have their knees more exposed... and are dropping to their knees to block... and need foot & toe protection because they’re wearing typical baseball shoes... and they’re wearing the shinguards on the outside.

Which you will not be doing. You are an umpire. You will not be dropping to your knees, you will not be in an exaggerated crouch, you will not be wearing them outside the pant, and you will be wearing plate shoes (if you know what’s good for ya *poke poke poke*)!!!

So, I have a sinking suspicion you’re looking at catchers shinguards to provide you foot protection because you don’t want to get plate shoes. Too bad. Be serious about this job. Protect your tootsies and piggies, and get plate shoes.

If my suspicions are incorrect (hooray if they are!), then we can recommend any of several models of umpire shinguards to you, including the Force3 Ultimates, the Douglas shinguards, the All-Star System 7’s, or even the (and this hurts my hand to type it) Wilson Golds or Platinums (in fact, I would recommend the Wilson Guardians instead!). The Champro, Schutt, and Diamond umpire shinguards you see are for those mid-level amateur umpires who are operating on a budget, or at a level of baseball or softball where high-level protection and bulk isn’t required. You’ll see them offered with toe flaps... why? Because mid-level amateur umpires operating under a budget don’t take the job seriously enough to get plate shoes!

Take the job seriously! Get plate shoes!

You’ll read/hear a cacophony of opinions and recommendations from guys on shinguards. I’m in the Force3 camp on these, and will not purchase anything else for my high-level umpire work. Would I wear or try something else, for the sake of testing, or if I had to borrow a set? Sure. I’d entertain Douglas or All-Stars. One of my colleagues even uses (and swears by!) the Schutt umpire shinguards, and we all call pro- and college-level games. So, if you are in a budget pinch, these might appeal to you (or the Wilson Guardians), but, you are likely to hear from the guys here to invest in the best shinguards possible, price be damned. They have a point, because confidently, the shinguards will be a (near likely) one-time purchase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info MadMax and Umpstu.  Hibbets has the Scorpion listed as Umpire leg guards.  They look pretty much identical to the Schutt or Adams Air U5 leg guards so I just assumed that they were the same thing with a different brand logo attached.  I do like the U5's, but it is only listed in a 17 inch.  I'm not the tallest guy so I thought a 16 inch guard would fit better.  The Scorpion is listed on Hibbets as a 16 inch umpire leg guard.  I got excited because I actually found the Schutt CP and the leg guards on the same site. Which, by the way, I have a 20 dollar coupon for and they offer free shipping. Did I mention that I am frugal, lol.  I haven't been able to find them on the same sites.  I think that is a bit odd.  It could mean that the Air U5 leg guards are junk.  They look solid and appear to have great padding, especially when you look at the price point.  It looks like Schutt was  much more generous with their padding when you compare to other guards in the same price range.  I just wonder how the padding will hold up over time.  

I do have plate shoes.  I do take the job seriously.  As I said, I'm moving into the college level.  I want to be one of the guys calling games on ESPN some day.  That doesn't mean though, that I enjoy throwing money at name brand gear that isn't any better than lesser known brands.  I do understand that in most cases you get what you pay for.  That's why I wear name brand shoes instead of Wal-Mart shoes.  But I don't buy expensive jeans just for the name on the butt.  It's the Thanksgiving sale, JC Penney jeans for me.   But there is always that brand or model in the middle that competes with the big boys.  That's what I look for.  I mentioned the Samurai catcher shin guards ONLY because I found an extremely good price on them.  I understand that they will not have the shin protection that an umpire requires.  I have gotten away with my 20 dollar, second hand, catchers shin guards doing high school ball for a few years, but you're right, it's probably not a good idea to risk that at the college level.  I cut the tow flap off by the way ;)

I have looked at the Wilson Guardians, the Champro's, the Diamond's, and the Champions.  All except the Champion's looked very inferior to the Schutt's. The Champion's looked very heavy and bulky.  I might as well buy some Wilson's if I go with those.  

I think I'm gonna go with the Schutt's for now.  The Air U5's, not the scorpions.  Whenever  those big time college game checks start rolling in I may upgrade if I need too.  Then I can donate the cheaper gear to a new umpire in need. 

If anyone has used the Schutt or Adams leg guards I would still love to hear from ya'. 

12 hours ago, umpstu said:

You can never go wrong with the Force 3 shin guards.  Coming from a guy who has worn numerous different models and manufacturers. 

I never thought I would spend >$100 on shin guards.  I really doubted that I would be happy about it.  In this case, I certainly am.  The Force 3 are the lightest, the least bulky, the coolest, most comfortable and most protective SG out there.  They are the tops in every area.  The difference between something that you might like and may do the job is about $50.  Buy the best and you only cry once.  Good luck.  I hope you make your goals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, redroofwoodworker said:

Thanks for the info MadMax and Umpstu.  Hibbets has the Scorpion listed as Umpire leg guards.  They look pretty much identical to the Schutt or Adams Air U5 leg guards so I just assumed that they were the same thing with a different brand logo attached.  I do like the U5's, but it is only listed in a 17 inch.  I'm not the tallest guy so I thought a 16 inch guard would fit better.  The Scorpion is listed on Hibbets as a 16 inch umpire leg guard.  I got excited because I actually found the Schutt CP and the leg guards on the same site. Which, by the way, I have a 20 dollar coupon for and they offer free shipping. Did I mention that I am frugal, lol.  I haven't been able to find them on the same sites.  I think that is a bit odd.  It could mean that the Air U5 leg guards are junk.  They look solid and appear to have great padding, especially when you look at the price point.  It looks like Schutt was  much more generous with their padding when you compare to other guards in the same price range.  I just wonder how the padding will hold up over time.  

I do have plate shoes.  I do take the job seriously.  As I said, I'm moving into the college level.  I want to be one of the guys calling games on ESPN some day.  That doesn't mean though, that I enjoy throwing money at name brand gear that isn't any better than lesser known brands.  I do understand that in most cases you get what you pay for.  That's why I wear name brand shoes instead of Wal-Mart shoes.  But I don't buy expensive jeans just for the name on the butt.  It's the Thanksgiving sale, JC Penney jeans for me.   But there is always that brand or model in the middle that competes with the big boys.  That's what I look for.  I mentioned the Samurai catcher shin guards ONLY because I found an extremely good price on them.  I understand that they will not have the shin protection that an umpire requires.  I have gotten away with my 20 dollar, second hand, catchers shin guards doing high school ball for a few years, but you're right, it's probably not a good idea to risk that at the college level.  I cut the tow flap off by the way ;)

I have looked at the Wilson Guardians, the Champro's, the Diamond's, and the Champions.  All except the Champion's looked very inferior to the Schutt's. The Champion's looked very heavy and bulky.  I might as well buy some Wilson's if I go with those.  

I think I'm gonna go with the Schutt's for now.  The Air U5's, not the scorpions.  Whenever  those big time college game checks start rolling in I may upgrade if I need too.  Then I can donate the cheaper gear to a new umpire in need. 

If anyone has used the Schutt or Adams leg guards I would still love to hear from ya'. 

This, 

I have gotten away with my 20 dollar, second hand, catchers shin guards doing high school ball for a few years, but you're right, it's probably not a good idea to risk that at the college level.  I cut the tow flap off by the way ;)

Why would you want to risk yourself to high school pitching and catching using a pair of $20 shin guards?  Unless they are a good name brand and you got them for a steal.  But man, some of those kids can bring it and some of those catchers can't catch.  Don't get yourself hurt.

3 hours ago, umpstu said:

This, 

I have gotten away with my 20 dollar, second hand, catchers shin guards doing high school ball for a few years, but you're right, it's probably not a good idea to risk that at the college level.  I cut the tow flap off by the way ;)

Why would you want to risk yourself to high school pitching and catching using a pair of $20 shin guards?  Unless they are a good name brand and you got them for a steal.  But man, some of those kids can bring it and some of those catchers can't catch.  Don't get yourself hurt.

I took some shots off of the knees and shins.  They held up pretty good. 

Wilson platinum (silver color), at ump attire, joe West dot com, or Gerry Davis sports $89. Gerry Davis shinguards $89.

Not everyone could afford the Carlucci gear that Ted Barrett wears back in the old days either, said an old guy i met that went to the ump school back in the old days.

• Like 1

I’ve personally used the Schutt AiR-U5 for the last 3 years. They are excellent shin guards. I’ve taken numerous shots in college and summer collegiate baseball, and they have done the job quite well. I’m still keeping a pair- but am recently attempting to switch to the Force3, as I feel the outer shin/calf area has better protection with the Force3. You cannot go wrong with both of these options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a personal preference, I wouldn't got back there with anything less than the Force3 or a Wilson shin guard. But I also have never used a Schutt shin guard.

I can also vouch for the Honigs K20 (and I think the K2010) shin guards as being a solid piece of equipment. Thought I would NEVER again wear one of their chest protectors.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

As a personal preference, I wouldn't got back there with anything less than the Force3 or a Wilson shin guard. But I also have never used a Schutt shin guard.

I can also vouch for the Honigs K20 (and I think the K2010) shin guards as being a solid piece of equipment. Thought I would NEVER again wear one of their chest protectors.

The force 3 seems to be everyone's favorite.  It's funny, I have always heard that Wilson is the end all and be all in umpire gear.  People responses sound like they avoid it like the plague though.  

1 minute ago, redroofwoodworker said:

The force 3 seems to be everyone's favorite.  It's funny, I have always heard that Wilson is the end all and be all in umpire gear.  People responses sound like they avoid it like the plague though.  

Not necessarily.... Wilson makes a fine product. But like everything else out there. People want to find if there is a better mousetrap. 

The Wilson shins are a great product and will stop anything and everything. But they are VERY bulky and VERY heavy when compared to others like Force3, Diamond, and Schutt.

Rumor has it, that Wilson is in the works to modify there equipment into the modern era. The new harness was a step in the right direction. But we will see.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, redroofwoodworker said:

It's funny, I have always heard that Wilson is the end all and be all in umpire gear.

Remember when I said up at the top of the thread that "Baseball players (and umpireswatch higher-level players (and umpires) (college and/or professionals), observe what they use, and either purchase those items so they look just like that model player (or umpire), or get supplied that gear by a sponsor."

And who, pray tell, is the "official" sponsor of MLB Umpire gear? Yup.

Wilson gets the impression of "end all and be all" of umpire gear simply because it's on TV the most.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, MadMax said:

Remember when I said up at the top of the thread that "Baseball players (and umpireswatch higher-level players (and umpires) (college and/or professionals), observe what they use, and either purchase those items so they look just like that model player (or umpire), or get supplied that gear by a sponsor."

And who, pray tell, is the "official" sponsor of MLB Umpire gear? Yup.

Wilson gets the impression of "end all and be all" of umpire gear simply because it's on TV the most.

Homie don't play by no rules... I go by the beat of my own drum!!! lololol

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 8:10 PM, redroofwoodworker said:

I took some shots off of the knees and shins.  They held up pretty good. 

You can run a stop sign and not have an accident... That doesn't mean keep doing it.

Add me to the force 3 group. Untouched fastball direct hit off the knee Sunday..Maybe 80-ish? Ball ended up near F6. When I tell you I didn't feel   a thing, it's not an exaggeration. I've sworn by these for 2 years now, but even this shot surprised me at the lack of any sensation on my knee.

• Like 2