Cost of Umpire Camps

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2007 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I think pricing depends on what you are hoping to get out of the camp and how you look at it.  Think about how many games you would need to work to pay it off at your current level... then think about how long it would take to pay it off at the level you want to be at. Is the juice worth the squeeze to you?

On 9/12/2018 at 3:14 PM, hckyosgood30 said:

It does really come down to where you live and what you want.  Give a little bit more detail and we can guide you a bit better.  If you're on the west coast PM me.

Is there talk of you guys coming back up to Tacoma again this year? I heard the clinic was a rousing success and want to go along with a few other guys from this area.

BT_Blue you would have to contact that association.  We don't publicize those clinics since we don't sponsor them.  We only provide a service, we don't do registration, money, get the field or classroom.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I can however be more helpful in the full camps info.

4 minutes ago, hckyosgood30 said:

BT_Blue you would have to contact that association.  We don't publicize those clinics since we don't sponsor them.  We only provide a service, we don't do registration, money, get the field or classroom.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I can however be more helpful in the full camps info.

I didnt think so. Just took the chance you would know or not. I asked Mark Heavy up in Western Washington. But haven't heard back.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, jwclubbie said:

If you were looking at a week long camp with live game action, pro instructors, breakfast, lunch, hotel, and possible job/games after the camp, what is a price that is fair in today's economic climate? Looking at a few camps, and curious what pricing is too high or just right.

Right around $100 day plus beer money is pretty fair. 

You can't put a number on a per day bases IMHO, it really all depends.  I'll give you a quick math situation.  No camp goes into business to lose money.  However, no camp owner does a camp to make money/living by any means.  Camper tuition $500 x 30 campers = 15k not bad right. ok now for camp cost - 6 staff members and 2 coordinators come to the camp. Staff fee $250 per day (d1 game fee average) 4 days = 1k.  Staff air and lodging double occupancy = $400 staff perdiem/parking/bag fee/gas = $100.  So 1.5k per staff = 9k. So 6k left.  2 coordinators lodging/air/perdiem = 600 per = 1.2k  no stipend is given. 10.2k total so far... then you have camp shirts/stickers/hats/lanyards/thumb drives, etc... $20 per camper = $600.  Conference room rental space = $400 as well as tech cost $800 (projectors, screen, video, gopros, camera, either rented or bought and chopped over 5 year cycle). 12k now. Staff shirts/hats/pull overs. 2 shirts 1 pull over 1 hat every 3 years.. with embrodery is 150 per staff. $900/3 = $300 per year. 12.3 then website hosting/ webdesign/llc cost = $800. So 13.1k and then we have paypals fee of 3% on the 15k = 450 + 20 per month service fee = $690.  Giving us a grand total of 13.8k in cost.  total net profit is 1.2k for a camp.  So the question is would you run a camp for this much $$$? I'm surprised more camp owners don't charge a hell of alot more.  But they want to cover cost to give back for the passion. 

So the real question should be what are you willing to give to gain the knowledge/skills/evaluations/network that they provide? If you want cheaper camps they are out there and they can be extremely good.  I know when I went to my last camp I took 10 days off work went to both camps provided paid for a single room and the two day layover plus my airfare.   Food all in was around $2k minus the ppl I lost out of my bank.  But it changed my life and my career.   Camps are an amazing vehicle to showcase both good and bad.  They can give you honest feedback and make you look in a mirror really quickly.  I come on here and I see guys talk about a $500 nike mask or 1k power, but no one invests.  CEU are needed in every profession and even more so in ours.  Good enough is not good enough! Put your foot on the gas and go get what you want.  If its not at your local association then go outside of that.  Go outside of your region, state, hell country if it means getting what you want and loving/learning the game.  Expand the brotherhood and dont' put a pricetag on it!  Ok I'll get off my soapbox now.  So.... Yea.... it all depends. Your mileage may very. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1