MLB pitcher "cheat sheet"

udbrky
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1992 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Joe West just told Phillies pitcher in inning 8 Sep 1 that he couldn't pull a laminated sheet out and check it on the mound. 

At least this is the speculation. Watching the video, it is just after he did so.

Is there a rule against this? Is it just the pitcher? I've never seen this be an issue before.

There was a pitcher for the Cardinals in 2015 named Steve Cishek (currently with the Cubs) who carried a laminated quote from the Bible in his back pocket. Here’s a link to a story about that and it does not say anything about it being against the rules--

www.mlb.com/news/steve-cishek-carries-bible-verse-to-mound/c-146117640

4 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

There was a pitcher for the Cardinals in 2015 named Steve Cishek (currently with the Cubs) who carried a laminated quote from the Bible in his back pocket. Here’s a link to a story about that and it does not say anything about it being against the rules--

www.mlb.com/news/steve-cishek-carries-bible-verse-to-mound/c-146117640

Did it say anything about Jesus being able to hit a curveball?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

Right.  But, it was the wrong ruling for that situation, I believe.  That is, this type of "cheat sheet" is now allowed -- but apparently, Joe didn't get the memo (or maybe I got the wrong memo ;) )

I think Joe wanted a memo on this. That's why he made it an issue. He got his answer from MLB.....Legal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The use of crib (cheat) sheets got a lot of attention recently but it turns out that it wasn’t an entirely new situation. An example can be traced back to 1988 when one of the best pitchers of the decade, Orel Hershiser, used an index card as a scouting report and carried it with him onto the field in the World Series. The following is taken from an article written by Bill Shaikin on September 3, 2018, for the LA Times:

Hershiser was preparing for the game two start in the 1988 WS. “Gibby’s home run was so exciting, I forgot to take the game tape home,” Orel Hershiser said. “So I couldn’t do the scouting and memorize it through the evening.”

Hershiser showed up early the next day, watched the video and took notes. He despaired of memorizing his notes so quickly, and he was determined not to make a mistake in the World Series. So he scribbled a scouting report on an index card, tucked it into his pocket, and alerted the umpires.

“I remember saying to them, when I reach into my pocket, this is what I’m getting,” Hershiser said. “And I showed them the card. It wasn’t an emery board, or anything else that people have been caught with.”