18 hours ago, RichMSN said:

Humbled to be one of the umpires selected this year, 7 years after I worked my regional.

The crew is already communicating regularly and it's going to be a good group -- a new family for me, I can already tell.

I didn't umpire last year, with the exception of some LL district games where I jumped on the bases - I'm the UIC and I did that to ensure all games had 2 umpires.  Knee injury and surgery. 

Looking forward to the snow melting and getting back on the diamond.

Congrats Rich. You will have a great time. 

Enjoy every second - it goes by really fast. 

............the................urge...................................is.......................................................overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Suck.

In regard to 1blx vs 3blx.  All the training I have had says that as a play at the plate develops, start at the point-of-the-plate and move around to the 3blx with the idea that your chest should be square to the catcher's mitt at least initially.  You then have to move to your angle position  based on where the throw is coming from.  But you have to see the mitt, the plate, the runner's foot, and the ball.

That having been said, I recall my days when I was starting out as an umpire on 60' fields that had a backstop very close to home plate.  There really was no time to get around to 3blx on a PB/WP unless the ball was pinging around towards the sides.  (Then R3 had an easy score anyway.)  In fact, guys who tried to get to the 3blx might actually block a throw from F2 to F1 covering!  Point is, you developed a lot of bad habits that are not consistent with the training provided because of the time factor on a small field.  

Move to a larger stadium, and you will have a ton of time to get around.  You are just not used to it.

Just an opinion.

Mike

Las Vegas

@Vegas_Ump, there is a GREAT video from Black and Blue Umpire Camps (it's on Facebook) with Adam Dowdy instructing, talking about taking plays at the plate.

The main reason I bring this up, is that he talks about NOT starting point of plate for plays at the plate. Instead, starting 3BLX and adjusting from there. He states "since this is where you want to be to start, why start 2-4 steps away from that starting point." Or something along those lines.

As for PB/WP. The whole 3BLX thing has to go out the window. You are just trying to not get into anyone's way. If you end up 3BLX, great! But it isnt a necessity. 

I have had training that offers neither POP nor 3BLX.

The training I have received suggests staying where you are at the time of the pitch and react to the play as F2 sets up to make a play at the plate. 

• Like 1