2019 Changes

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1960 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So why not just go crowd the plate and wait to get hit like Frank Robinson and others whose feet were the only thing in the box but nothing else. The rest of their body way inside the 6 inch neutral zone before the plate took over. Some even had their elbow and hands naturally over the plate and a high pitch over the zone but too high to call a strike would hit them.

They 'did not' go after the pitch, and the pitch 'did not' go after them, in the neutral zone or high over the plate but out of the strike zone.

Guess somewhere along the line you just cannot make everything non judgmental. And the supervisors get to decide for employment reasons whether you live with the angels or not. You have to read the supervisors mind for the answer every time like Spock would do, before making the judgment call. If you make the call the way the supervisor would have made the call, you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if not, you get the 'you are the worst' rap.

Guys, read (don’t just look at it, but read) the rule rationale...

“To penalize the batter with a strike and not award first base if, in the judgement of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located.”
Rationale
“To provide guidance in enforcing the hit by pitch rule and to deter batters from attempting to be hit by the pitch. “Freezing” by a batter is not considered making an intentional movement. A batter who freezes inside the batter’s box and who is hit by a pitch shall be awarded first base.”

7 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

So why not just go crowd the plate and wait to get hit like Frank Robinson and others whose feet were the only thing in the box but nothing else. The rest of their body way inside the 6 inch neutral zone before the plate took over. Some even had their elbow and hands naturally over the plate and a high pitch over the zone but too high to call a strike would hit them.

They 'did not' go after the pitch, and the pitch 'did not' go after them, in the neutral zone or high over the plate but out of the strike zone.

So in this scenario, the pitch would be called a strike and the batter would stay at the plate. The ball hit a part of the batter OUTSIDE of the batter’s box. He must make an attempt to avoid that pitch.

You guys are making this much harder than it should be.

6 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Guys, read (don’t just look at it, but read) the rule rationale...

“To penalize the batter with a strike and not award first base if, in the judgement of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located.”
Rationale
“To provide guidance in enforcing the hit by pitch rule and to deter batters from attempting to be hit by the pitch. “Freezing” by a batter is not considered making an intentional movement. A batter who freezes inside the batter’s box and who is hit by a pitch shall be awarded first base.”

So in this scenario, the pitch would be called a strike and the batter would stay at the plate. The ball hit a part of the batter OUTSIDE of the batter’s box. He must make an attempt to avoid that pitch.

You guys are making this much harder than it should be.

Are you politely telling me to put the knotty problems book where the sun doesn't shine, or to go get the bullpen key?

Baseball is known for being reactive rather than proactive unless forced, like they were forced to answer the handling of a cheat sheet index card pulled out of the pocket this year, since they did not directly answer the situation with a case play in the rulebook back when Harvey had the situation with Herscheiser, and Herschheiser being proactive and going right to Harvey with the card from the get go.

Just thought of the plate huggers  and wanted to make sure that things were as simple as you were describing. This is a much appreciated guidance point being presented, especially with the freezing/not attempting to move in the batter's box situation IMHO, which has been the main  bone of contention/friction in the games i have attended and heard complaints/arguments from the coaches.

And then of course there are the hypothetical/knotty problem, stump the ump to try to make them look bad questions, that will always come up.

You have always given great help on this sight. I am glad for them being more proactive at the collegiate level and you specifically bringing us the latest updates and guidance.

All I’m saying is no one is discussing obstruction, defensive and offensive trips and which umpire should record them, pitching stances, or replay. Why? These are the tough ones.

Hit by pitch is one of the easier rules changes.

I met with 5 other D-1 umpires last week for 2 hours to go over the new rules. We spent about 5 minutes on hit by pitch and about 45 on obstruction. We’re meeting again this Thursday because we haven’t covered all of them yet and, to help us out, we’ve got a 45 minute video of Randy Bruns going over the new rules and a 140+ line spreadsheet with questions and answers pertaining to the new rules that have already come up this fall.

This is the biggest rule change year in a long time. We need to be focusing our attention to the tougher rules. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MidAmUmp said:

All I’m saying is no one is discussing obstruction, defensive and offensive trips and which umpire should record them, pitching stances, or replay. Why? These are the tough ones.

I met with 5 other D-1 umpires last week for 2 hours to go over the new rules. We spent about 5 minutes on hit by pitch and about 45 on obstruction. We’re meeting again this Thursday because we haven’t covered all of them yet and, to help us out, we’ve got a 45 minute video of Randy Bruns going over the new rules and a 140+ line spreadsheet with questions and answers pertaining to the new rules that have already come up this fall.

This is the biggest rule change year in a long time. We need to be focusing our attention to the tougher rules. 

How many hybrid pitchers have you had to square up in scrimmages and were the pitching coaches good with the change?

50 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

How many hybrid pitchers have you had to square up in scrimmages and were the pitching coaches good with the change?

I’m so busy with clinics that I only worked 1 fall scrimmage and every pitcher was legal. 

The benefit we have is the majority of our area colleges help with our clinics so we work with them at that time to get them legal. 

There were several we had to clean up at the clinics. 

2 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

I’m so busy with clinics that I only worked 1 fall scrimmage and every pitcher was legal. 

The benefit we have is the majority of our area colleges help with our clinics so we work with them at that time to get them legal. 

There were several we had to clean up at the clinics. 

So it's lucky this guy,

who was  given a pass by big dogs from the current rule at this years CWS, not that I don"t agree with the pass, is lucky to have graduated and now has a contract so squaring him up won't be necessary. But  is anyone talking about how EFD UPD the 2019 rule is? We have a bunch (not all) of HS umps squinting at the pitchers free foot in the windup to the detriment of what they should be looking at. The NCAA rule committee decided to go one better and make them squint at the foot and chest. Again, I would ask anyone to post a video of a college pitcher who you did not know was gonna windup or stretch. But let's go to the most extreme example and the impetus for last years  MLB/OBR rule change requiring a "declaration", David Price. Since he's fresh in all of our minds, (a feel good moment that he got the chip off his shoulder), anyone watching this WS not know whether he was going to wind up or stretch. You do, however, have to pay attention. Buts that's what umpires are supposed to do. 

10 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Hope you went over the Machado intentional Kupcheck or intentional punch on the thigh (oh, that's just how I naturally slide excuse) on every slide into second and the intentionally stepping on 1b foot. That will be picked up and done by the youngsters, or at least tried to see if they can get away with it.

And the running lane to 1st. The first 45 belong to the runner, the 2nd 45 belong to the fielder, no questions asked, barring something totally off the wall or totally intentional. You are either in the lane or out of lane and of course that last step to touch the base from inside the lane would be allowed to touch on the base outside the lane. You can decide how they can step on the line going the last 45. One foot in the line and one foot in the field of play or both feet touching the line all the way. Or one foot touching the line and that other totally in the box. Make it clear and concise. Any interpretations must be in print, not off the books so to speak.

11 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

Is there anywhere we can get access to this Randy Bruns video and the spreadsheet?  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, spiffdawg7 said:

Is there anywhere we can get access to this Randy Bruns video and the spreadsheet?  Thanks. 

The video was recorded at our Mid-American Advanced Umpire Clinic. So no, I can’t share it with the public. The spread sheet was sent from some NCAA coordinators. I don’t know if it has been posted anywhere online. Neither are final or official, so I don’t want to share them with the thought that they are the gospel. I’ll be happy to answer any questions (if I can) with the information I have been given. 

I would encourage anyone who has any suspicion that they will work collegiate level games this spring to register for the NCAA meetings in January. 

4 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

The video was recorded at our Mid-American Advanced Umpire Clinic. So no, I can’t share it with the public. The spread sheet was sent from some NCAA coordinators. I don’t know if it has been posted anywhere online. Neither are final or official, so I don’t want to share them with the thought that they are the gospel. I’ll be happy to answer any questions (if I can) with the information I have been given. 

I would encourage anyone who has any suspicion that they will work collegiate level games this spring to register for the NCAA meetings in January. 

Thanks.  I understand why you can't share.  I am sure there will be plenty or instruction at the clinics and on the hub closer to the season. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 12:38 PM, spiffdawg7 said:

Thanks.  I understand why you can't share.  I am sure there will be plenty or instruction at the clinics and on the hub closer to the season. 

The new rulebook is now available. While NCAA revised note 4 to require possession of the ball to block a base,  they left note 6 and rule 8-7 unchanged from last year. The video interps of last year, allowing the catcher to block home plate with a body part, not related to his fielding the ball, might or might not be revised.

From OBSTRUCTION definition:

"Note 4: On a play at any base, the defensive player must clearly have possession of the
ball before blocking the base with any part of the defensive player’s body. The umpire
will call “That’s obstruction” and then signal and call “Time.” The ball is dead
immediately, and the runner being played on is awarded one base beyond the last base
he had attained before the obstruction.

Note 6: The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the
pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and
the catcher should be there only when he is fielding the ball or when he already has the
ball in his hand. If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight
toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball,
he may be considered “in the act of fielding” a ball. It is entirely up to the judgment of
the umpire as to whether the fielder is in the act of fielding a ball."

Another interesting change in rule 5, Game Misconduct::

"15-a-2) Call “Time” or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while
the ball is in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher
commit a balk or disrupt the pitcher's delivery. If a balk or illegal pitch is
committed or if the pitch is called a "ball," the call shall be nullified;"

So, I'm guessing, you can have a strike if the pitcher delivers a strike but if he balks, wild pitches, or misses the strike zone we have a no pitch.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:52 PM, MidAmUmp said:

It will be explained in detail at the meetings in January. 

From the camps I’ve worked this fall, here’s what I can tell you...

Did the batter hit the ball or did the ball hit the batter? 

If the batter freezes, give him 1st.

If the batter turns and the ball hits him, give him 1st. 

If the batter sticks out a body part and allows himself to get hit by the ball, keep him at the plate, call it a strike.

If the pitch is not in the batter's box you might allow a freeze or judge that the batter allowed it to hit him:

"7-4-i.    Awarded if the batter is judged to intentionally make a movement to be hit
by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located; or allows himself to be
intentionally hit by a pitch that is not thrown within the boundaries of the
batter's box unless it was not possible to avoid being hit."

"8-2-d.    When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike,
the ball is immediately dead;
1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch,
regardless of the location of the pitch. He must also avoid being hit
whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by
the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then:"

23 hours ago, Jimurray said:

If the pitch is not in the batter's box you might allow a freeze or judge that the batter allowed it to hit him:

"7-4-i.    Awarded if the batter is judged to intentionally make a movement to be hit
by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located; or allows himself to be
intentionally hit by a pitch that is not thrown within the boundaries of the
batter's box unless it was not possible to avoid being hit."

"8-2-d.    When hit by a pitched ball at which the individual is not attempting to strike,
the ball is immediately dead;
1) A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch,
regardless of the location of the pitch. He must also avoid being hit
whenever possible, unless the pitch is within the batter's box occupied by
the batter. If the batter's action is deemed intentional, then:"

This is, for me, odd.

As I read this - If the pitch is in the batter's box then the batter has no obligation to attempt to avoid getting hit.   Though this will certainly make an umpire's job easier (did he "let" it hit him, or did he just freeze), I'm not sure I like it.  Yeah, put the onus on the pitcher to get the ball closer to the plate - but to me this is analogous to seeing a car stalled in an intersection but proceeding to t-bone him because you had the green light, and then giving the other guy a ticket for running a red light.   But, I can live with it - the ump's job is hard enough to have to judge that nonsense.

But, what's odd for me is the statement that the batter has an obligation to try to avoid a pitch that's out of the box...well, what the Hell is the batter doing out of the box when the pitch is coming.   If he is out of the box, and gets hit, then he almost certainly had to have moved into the pitch...and then it's simply a matter of judging if he did it on purpose or not.   This rule would only seem to practically apply to a batter whose elbows are out of the box, but in that six inch gap not over the plate.   And frankly, that could easily just be called a strike - even without this rule change.  (ie. if the ball is in that six inch gap there's a ~50/50 chance a part of the ball is over the plate)