Anyone remember when ?

ump 50 ND
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5481 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, don't know either, but I think I saw an umpire on MLB TV both using a raft and wearing a red jacket so it might be sometime in the 70's. As for organ music no clue. It would be interesting to find out if any parks still use an actual organ or ore they MP3s sent out through the PA system.

oooppppppppps....little google search turned up this response to the question who was the last pro umpire to use an outside protector....

MLB UMPIRE Jerry Layne says........

Jerry Neudecker in the mid-80s, somewhere in there. I don't know if it's banned by rules, but it's been common that you don't get to see the ball as good looking up over the head like that. It's better to work with the chest protector inside your shirt and have the pitch come toward you. You can tell more about low pitches and in and out, stuff like that.

Warren and I werent so close after all....

Edited by Stan W.
spelling.........and the usual clarity issues

From Steve Palermo's Wikipedia Page:

"Starting in 1977, all new AL umpires had to adopt the inside chest protector, which had been used in the National League for decades under the guidance of Hall of Fame umpire Bill Klem. AL umpires on staff prior to 1977 were grandfathered and could continue to use the outside protector."

I can't remember the last year any of the old timers used them, but the 80's sounds right.

obit:

Jerry Neudecker, Major League Umpire, 66

Published: Monday, January 13, 1997

Jerry Neudecker, the last major league umpire to wear a balloon chest protector, died of cancer on Saturday. He was 66.

Neudecker, who died at Columbia-Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, was an American League umpire from 1965 to 1986. His balloon protector -- grandfathered in after the A.L. began requiring the type of inside equipment long used in the National League -- was sent to the Hall of Fame after his retirement.

so the definiative answer is:

Jerry Neudecker was the last major league umpire to wear a balloon chest protector. Jerry's last game was in the 1986 season...:TD:

not going to be much help here.....except Pittsburgh just lost its long time organ player

Vince Lascheid, long-time organist for the Pittsburgh Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium and PNC Park and the Pittsburgh Penguins at Mellon Arena, died overnight.

Mr. Lascheid also played organ at Steelers games at Three Rivers Stadium and at Penguins games from 1970-2003. He is a member of the team's Hall of Fame. There will be a pregame tribute tonight before the Penguins play Los Angeles at Mellon Arena.

I have heard that the Pirates and Pens had recorded much of his trademark interludes so we will be hearing them for year to come...

Now that the players pick their own music some of the charm has gone out of the player announcement.. Vince would play tunes that would make you think and often laugh...

he used to play "here she comes... miss america" when steve garvey came to the plate....supposedly he hated vince for that........:TD:

UPDATE.....this comes from Wikipedia, so take this for what its worth...

Ballpark music performed by an organist debuted at Chicago's Wrigley Field in 1941, and had spread to most other Major League parks by the 1960s:

Edited by Stan W.

On April 26, 1941, the Chicago Cubs brought an organ into Wrigley Field as a one-day only gimmick.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Organists.html

Other than Boston, there's live organ music only for the Angels, White Sox, Yankees, Diamondbacks, Rockies and Cubs.

http://www.ballparktour.com/Josh_Kantor.html

Edited by BrianC14