Wedge?

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2065 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've seen this term used a lot but I don't know what it means. What exactly is using the wedge or moving to or with the wedge? Shoot, I may be doing it and just dont know it or I'm missing a mechanic that will help me be in a better position. Any good video examples would be helpful.

The wedge is a concept used for officiating tag plays, perhaps most often plays at HP.

The basic idea is that, with the umpire positioned at 3BLX, we want to rotate toward fair territory (and keep rotating as the play develops) in order to keep a look at the space between F2 and the runner. There is a wedge-shaped angle within which we get a good look at the tag, and it moves as F2 rotates and the runner advances.

Keeping inside the wedge requires us to move. Standing still at 3BLX often results in getting straight-lined on a swipe tag (seeing F2's butt instead of his glove).

• Like 1

The wedge basically means getting in the gap between a fielder's glove and the base for tag plays. The most common example is for a play at the plate, but it can be applied to plays at other bases (U1 calling a pickoff at 1st base in the 3-umpire system, U3 calling a steal at 3rd base, etc.). To do that, move to stay in the fielder's hip pocket, except when the fielder moves off the base (catcher moving towards 1B). I was able to get a play at the plate correct by using wedge principles during a game at a 3-man camp this past week (runner rounds 3rd to go home, catcher comes up the line to field the throw, catcher tried to tag the runner, but missed, and runner slid by him to score). Another key part of the wedge is to get closer to the fielder than you would otherwise, because the closet you are (with the right angle), the less you have to move to make adjustments (quiet steps is the term used by instructors), and the more of the gap between glove and base that you can see. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Another key part of the wedge is to get closer to the fielder than you would otherwise, because the closet you are (with the right angle), the less you have to move to make adjustments (quiet steps is the term used by instructors), and the more of the gap between glove and base that you can see

Love this part of the wedge theory. Sometimes all it takes is a step and a lean to get that perfect look.

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

Love this part of the wedge theory. Sometimes all it takes is a step and a lean to get that perfect look.

Its funny that you say that Rich - I sometime feel like I am TOO close and have to work on finding the right distance

19 hours ago, Richvee said:

I had this taken at a LL game the other day. All that was left was to let the dust settle and ask to see the ball. I was able to see the glove slide up the leg and see that the glove never turned over. From what I can tell, I am almost at the front of the batter's box.

I started using the 'wedge' about a year ago. and it is natural to follow the catcher around (it also works at other bases).

wedge.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That's a great example of the wedge too. You're in the catcher's (right) hip pocket, and have an excellent look at the play. 

BTW, what league is this that allows you to wear red? 

That was a State LL game and we were required to wear red. The only other league I do that wears red is Legion.