How does this happen?

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2070 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know it seems like you couldn't possibly blow this call, but I've missed an obvious swing like this before.  I was working very bad softball, and I flinched hard on that up-and-in pitch, believing it was going to be the 5th or 6th time in that game that the catcher couldn't be bothered to move her glove and instead used my face to stop the ball.

What I can't put my head around: how does the base umpire get it wrong on the appeal?

1 hour ago, CJK said:

I know it seems like you couldn't possibly blow this call, but I've missed an obvious swing like this before.  I was working very bad softball, and I flinched hard on that up-and-in pitch, believing it was going to be the 5th or 6th time in that game that the catcher couldn't be bothered to move her glove and instead used my face to stop the ball.

What I can't put my head around: how does the base umpire get it wrong on the appeal?

I've had something like that, when the catcher stood up to receive a pitch heading toward my face.  I missed a full swing and had to go to my partner.  I'm guessing that the base umpire in this video wasn't paying attention.

3 hours ago, CJK said:

We’ve had this discussion on U-E’s forums before, @CJK! It stems from the opinion that “you (as BU) never refute your PU’s calls”, especially when appeals and pleadings are being done by the DT. That whole “don’t make my partner look bad” rationale.

Well, look what happened, even in the Mexican League! Those two umpires – the PU and U1 – got fired, and the other two of the four-man crew got reprimanded for not stepping in to fix it! Over a “check(ed)” swing!

You succeed as a crew and you fail as a crew.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Well, look what happened, even in the Mexican League! Those two umpires – the PU and U1 – got fired, and the other two of the four-man crew got reprimanded for not stepping in to fix it! Over a “check(ed)” swing!

hardly a checked swing in that video 

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Missed in all of this is that, at least to me, the pitch, on its own merit, looks like a strike, regardless of any swing - side angle shown at end of video.

At the risk of giving PU way too much credit, maybe he was really focused on the location of the pitch because it was a borderline strike.

So, how are you guys handling your PU partners who are getting chirped on by both teams due to a poorly called game, who will not even take 1 of 10 check swings. The batter's bat barrel points at the pitcher, and then the PU points to you 'every time' to take the heat off themselves and get them yelling at you when you call a strike. Looks like the base umpire sent that weak, horse manure no swing call, right back to his partner to tell him to grow a pair and take the heat.

Both PU and U1 were suspended for the remainder of the Mexican League season over this call.

I just have no idea how this could happen. Both PU and U1 missed it. It reminds me of, I think, Ed Rapuano a few years back on a play at first involving the Tigers, but that was just one umpire.

It's just very strange. I'd ask if there's an issue of sports official corruption in Mexico, but that wouldn't even make sense here. It's the 0-1 pitch.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's just mind-boggling.

1 minute ago, johnnyg08 said:

My .02:

Plate umpire blinked/flinched and verbalized "ball" F2 hears this and immediately makes his appeal to U1 who got caught day dreaming. 

It's a bad miss but I can see how it happened. 

Bummer that it was caught on video. 

That's the toughest part of this for me. The fact that they both missed it. I'm sure we've all had a pretty bad miss at some point. It's just kind of bizarre that it happened to these two on the same play.

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

Equally tough is neither U2 nor U3 stepped in, which is why they were officially cautioned by the league.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786995-mexican-league-umpires-suspended-after-making-terrible-check-swing-call?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I just read that...two other umpires on the crew hung them out to dry. Bad all around.