YOU make the call.

FleasOf1000Camels
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2052 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

12u, FED rules.  Fast, skinned infield with artificial mound.  Bases loaded, 1 out.

Batter hits high pop fly right near the mound.  Ump declares "infield fly, if fair"  F1 is calling for ball, and F5 is nearby, but keeps clear.  

As ball is coming down, F1 takes a step back and trips on the edge of the hard-shell mound, falls right on his butt. Ball lands (untouched) right on the lip of that mound, and ricochets toward 3rd base...hitting F5 in the shin then bouncing in to the 3rd base dugout.

I'll take a stab...

I've got an IFF. I don't see how tripping or falling would negate that call. If an infielder tripped on 2B  while camped under the popup, same thing. So once it hit F5 (I assume F5 was in fair territory), it's a fair ball, IFF. Ball then goes out of play, all runners advance 2 bases.

2 outs, R3, R2 score, R1 on 3B.

• Like 6

IFF (ball could be caught by an infielder [F1 is an infielder] with ordinary effort), batter is out, none of the questions are relevant, now there are 2 outs, R3 and R2 score, R1 goes to 3B, and play resumes R3/2 outs and HP calling "Play", because the ball became dead. And that''s all, folks!

Coach loses his SH*# and wants interference called on the grounds crew for placing the mound in that exact location...and then tells F5 he is an idiot letting it all happen.  Since his son is F1, coach blames F5 for everything, including the fact that F1 walked the bases loaded.  Also, logs into to GameChanger that night and edits the play to reflect E5 to ensure that his son's ERA isn't impacted.   Coach and son spend the remainder of the season telling everyone how the ump screwed them over.

And that's the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Lou B said:

Being picky but why did the Ump yell "Infield Fly It Fair"?

It was a pop-up at the mound, not anywhere near the foul line, why the "if fair"?

Because silo shots (straight up) typically start to arc back towards the plate, or, if otherwise uncaught, carry enough spin such that they take bounces to the foul lines. I actually commend the PU on “reading the field” – skinned, probably hard-packed, grassless infield and an artificial/portable mound are ingredients to bad hops. If the ball had not been touched, and bounced-or-rolled foul, would it not have been a foul ball?

So why not tack on “... if fair!” onto the verbal declaration?

• Like 4

On 7/18/2018 at 11:25 AM, beerguy55 said:

Coach loses his SH*# and wants interference called on the grounds crew for placing the mound in that exact location...and then tells F5 he is an idiot letting it all happen.  Since his son is F1, coach blames F5 for everything, including the fact that F1 walked the bases loaded.  Also, logs into to GameChanger that night and edits the play to reflect E5 to ensure that his son's ERA isn't impacted.   Coach and son spend the remainder of the season telling everyone how the ump screwed them over.

Holy hell! Isnt this the truth! 

On 07/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, beerguy55 said:

How did I miss this post. A  classic. Sometimes truth is the best comedy.