Throat guard for F3 Defender V2

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2002 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyone found one they like? I grabbed this 4" Wilson from UA but the straps it came with aren't very long so it's got very little mobility. It'd be nice if F3 made/offered their own, but alas, I am stuck with third-party options it appears.

One of the best I've seen is using the All Star magnesium System 7 throat guard.   The other idea I've had is to strip a Spyder of it's vinyl and then have it powder-coated to match.

34 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Those throat guards look slightly different. Is one a Mizuno and the other a Kubota or something along those lines?

I think it's the angle of the lower one being steeper while the F3 is showing it flat. My .02

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my Force3 Defender V2.  I have a Champro 6" TG with the All-Star rubber looks. It seems like it will work fine. I think the original Champro snap loops would be fine too. 

11 hours ago, erickjovan said:

Where can I get that throat guard?

samuraigears.com

rakuten.com

Search for Kubota Slugger throat guard.  It's based off the SSK Spyder TG, but no longer made by them. 

• Like 1

I've never understood the thinking of a metal throat protector. They're heavier, and I'd much rather have a rounded piece of plastic hitting my Adam's apple, rather than steel tubing. Now I do get the "cool factor", but that only goes so far for me. And yeah, in theory it should nail your chest protector, and not your neck. But in the real world, with my properly placed device (upper rung), and have had it come up and bite me in the lower throat.

49 minutes ago, kylejt said:

I've never understood the thinking of a metal throat protector. They're heavier, and I'd much rather have a rounded piece of plastic hitting my Adam's apple, rather than steel tubing. Now I do get the "cool factor", but that only goes so far for me. And yeah, in theory it should nail your chest protector, and not your neck. But in the real world, with my properly placed device (upper rung), and have had it come up and bite me in the lower throat.

Was it a 4.5" or 6" TG?   My thinking is similar, but I like the air flowing through the TG instead of every little breeze blowing my TG around.  

The Kubota Slugger (Spyder knock-off) has a nice curve to it that seems to keep it from swinging up into the throat.  The weight isn't too bad, especially if you wear on a mask it's designed for which doesn't have a fixed chin guard. 

I really liked my Spyder on my Diamond. Though with the straight down throat extention, it didnt work as well.

But once I had that cut off, I really liked it. Would have liked it more if I had kept the top extention to balance the weight of the metal tg.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:19 AM, kylejt said:

Whether you go plastic or metal, make sure the throat guard won't hit you in the throat. You want it long enough so it hits your chest protector. Check that in your stance. If 4" is not long enough, go 6".

• Like 2