Unsportsmanlike Conduct Ejection

JoeC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1776 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Using Little League rules

During a local 9-12 league playoff game the defensive team made 3 or 4 errors in a row that allowed the other team score a few runs. Of course one of the defensive teams coaches started to talk to his team. He was starting to a little loud. Then the coach starts to degrade  (calling them idiots) the players that were out on the field. At that point I told him enough. He proceeded to tell me that he was not talking to me. As soon as he said that I heard the manager of the team tell him to stop. But would he? Nope. So I ejected him. The coach then asked me why I tossed him and I proceeded to tell him that it was for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Would any of you have given the manager a chance to calm the coach down before tossing the coach?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoeC said:

During a local 9-12 league playoff game the defensive team made 3 or 4 errors in a row that allowed the other team score a few runs. Of course one of the defensive teams coaches started to talk to his team. He was starting to a little loud. Then the coach starts to degrade  (calling them idiots) the players that were out on the field. At that point I told him enough. He proceeded to tell me that he was not talking to me. As soon as he said that I heard the manager of the team tell him to stop. But would he? Nope. So I ejected him. The coach then asked me why I tossed him and I proceeded to tell him that it was for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Would any of you have given the manager a chance to calm the coach down before tossing the coach?

They are kids.

You warned. He continued. You ejected.

No concerns here!

• Like 1

Did tournament officials review/recite the LL Parent/Volunteer Pledge?

I will teach all children to play fair, and do their best coach fail

I will positively support all Managers, Coaches & Players coach fail

I will respect the decisions of the Umpires coach fail

I will praise a good effort, despite the outcome of the game. coach fail

See the source image

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:27 AM, JoeC said:

Had the same coach last night. Not a word from him. It was a peaceful night.

59 minutes ago, Mister B said:

If he was ejected from a LL playoff game, he's out for good. 

It was the league playoffs not a LL international tournament game

16 hours ago, JoeC said:

It was the league playoffs not a LL international tournament game

Ejection means suspension from the next played game in both the regular-season and the tournament under Little League rules.

@basejester's comment about suspension reminded of this:

a bit of a tangent - I was a coach for a 11U Williamsport team a few years back, opposing kid comes to the plate for the second time, our kids say batter has a big barrel bat (2 3/4 vs required 2 1/4") we appeal to umpire, PU has to talk to TD, after about 5-10 mins, they EJ the kid and the HC, both out for next game (if they had one - IIRC we were in the loser bracket at the time).  Of course opposing team is on the first base side, so  I go out to coach first the next inning, and man was I catching crap from the fans, I ignored and didn't engage them.  So I understood what some of you guys go thru with the fans :D

However felt like turning and saying, "and if he had hit the ball and injured one of our players with an illegal bat... what then?"

The EJ for the coach during the tournament throws people for a loop... they think it is an out and a don't do that again... problem is, this is the big tournament and LL does not take kindly to what they consider cheating. All equipment is looked at prior to the game, so how did that 2.75" get in there, humm?

4 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

The EJ for the coach during the tournament throws people for a loop... they think it is an out and a don't do that again... problem is, this is the big tournament and LL does not take kindly to what they consider cheating. All equipment is looked at prior to the game, so how did that 2.75" get in there, humm?

It wasn’t looked at for either team as I recall. Around here, it seemed that the crews they brought in to umpire the tournament games were of “higher level” and not used to working LL 

Our group, as much as we get tired of doing it does inspect helmets and bats prior to every game.

But even if we did not... this late into the season and the tournament, a 2.75" bat should be a well known no-no.

• 9 months later...

Just went thru Bristol Umpire training class about 3 weeks ago. Doc stated one of the things they do listen for is Abuse in language now.   Any time a coach "berates"  a player for an error or bad play on the field could be considered that. 

Its a bit "touchy feely" for me but I get it.  Verbal Abuse is Abuse and calling a kid an idiot I would not warn that would a trip to his car and a letter to the league about it. Even if its his kid.

even though you are resurrecting an old post (almost a year old), I am familiar with Doc's teachings.  I have a coach in my local league, that I've had to discuss with board members who feel a certain way.  What they are unaware of, is that he is also a youth FOOTBALL coach, and often times has to yell to players on the field (over parents/kids/cheerleaders, etc.).  He's VERY loud from the first pitch to the last.  However, he is mindful and takes care of his players well.  He yells a lot.  He yells instructions, changes, etc, but yelling TO the players and AT the players is a completely different animal.  There is a fine line, and I'm sure some Smitty somewhere will extrapolate his/her own interpretation of "abusive language" and create a $#ITstorm for themselves and end up on the 5 o'clock news.

**Please note, the following statement is a personal opinion that is not referenced in any rule book** (so please don't ask @Senor Azul for a rule cite)

:rantoff:This generation of......ENTITLEMENT, is disgusting at best.  It is ruining the future for these youth players.  I WILL NOT coddle or handle coaches with kid gloves.  I'm old enough to remember that you used to have to WIN to get a trophy.......not just show up.:ranton:

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

even though you are resurrecting an old post (almost a year old), 

**Please note, the following statement is a personal opinion that is not referenced in any rule book** (so please don't ask @Senor Azul for a rule cite)

:rantoff:This generation of......ENTITLEMENT, is disgusting at best.  It is ruining the future for these youth players.  I WILL NOT coddle or handle coaches with kid gloves.  I'm old enough to remember that you used to have to WIN to get a trophy.......not just show up.:ranton:

I fully understand that quote and am a member of that generation.  We had our HS football coach and Baseball coach both use expletives to us about bad situations. Our football coach was a "God" to us at that age and when he went near nutty one Homecoming game that we were getting our rears spanked hard it was an eye opening event that was not lost on us.  Now we played much harder because of it in the second half, but we did not do any better as it was still a wound licking defeat. But the rest of the year we all felt a little different about Coach after that.  The Baseball coach was a local legend and was known as a bit of an ass so we all took his comments with a grain of salt and just understood it was his "salty" way.

However with that said. These are 8 to 12 year olds. Personally I do not think a verbally abusive dressing down in the dugout or in the field is anything that, that age group should have done.  There are far more constructive ways to try and pump the kid up and get him past that error or blown play that will typically work better than being negative about it.

Sorry for dragging up a year old post. I'm new and well still exploring and learning this forum.    Its ok to hit my knuckles when I cross the line.  I can be open mouth insert foot some times.